2004 - 2008 F-150

Broken spark plug went from bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broken spark plug went from bad to worse

Hey guys,

So my new to me 05 FX4 developed a misfire. Previous owner said the plugs were recently changed but I thought I might as well check them....to make a long story short they weren't and I broke 4 off in the head despite my best efforts.

So first attempt was to go to Autozone and borrow the extractor they had (uses loctite to glue a pin in the porcelain and has tap/ extractor for when you get the porcelain out) worked like a champ on the one that brought the porcelain but left the ground strap. However was never able to succesfully pull a porcelain (tried repeatedly cleaned hole again and again, each time same thing puller had tension the whole time turning the nut but in the end only ever got the pin back no porcelain).

I had to leave town for work so ordered the OTC tool that pushes the porcelain in, before I left decided to loctite the puller in one more time and let it sit while I was gone. Get home and the OTC works like a charm on the first two I monkey with and time to get back to the problem hole (last cylinder driver's side). Trying again to pull the porcelain and feels exactly the same, the night is tight for 3-4 turns (never get the gratifying pop feeling the guy on youtube mentioned) so finally I decide that tool is garbage and just need to get it out of the way and get the OTC Problem Solver in there...so I get a little heavy handed and break the pin off in the porcelain

So I have been filling the hole with brake clean for a few days (did a little testing with the broken nub stuck in the tool and found the brake clean softened the loctite) and tugging on the broken pin with long needle nose pliers but no luck.

The only idea I have left is to drill the porcelain pusher from the OTC tool to clear the pin, push the porcelain, and after drilling the extractor (to also clear the broken pin) say a few prayers and try...although I have access to a lathe and confident I could drill these straight the idea of weakening an extractor and breaking that off scares me to say the least.

So I decided to join the top five f-150 forums (if you're on the other ones you will see a copy/ paste of this post ) to see if any one else has seen this before or has any other advice.

To make this even worse I decided before the misfire started that this is actually too much truck for what I really need and would be happier in a ranger and once the misfire started I didn't want to sell it needing work....however after playing under the hood without making progress I am now willing to take offers if someone in the Cincinnati area is interested in Fx4 "mechanics special"

Advice preferred, offers welcome.

Thanks for reading