2004 - 2008 F-150

Problem with camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with camshaft

Hello, I have a big problem with my truck and looking for some information. I have a 2006 F-150 with a 4.6l engine, i know that the motor has been replaced before but I'm not sure what vehicle it came out of. I had a problem with the right cylinder head and needed to replace it. I ordered a new complete head which came with the cam, lifters, valves, etc. already assembled and took it to a qualified mechanic with many years experience rebuilding engines. He tore it all apart and put it all back together with very little problem but when he went to start it he lost all compression on the right side (all the exhaust valves got bent). After investigating he discovered that the key way on the new cam was 120 degrees off from the old cam (with the lobes in the same position the key way of the new cam is in the 6 o'clock position and the key way of the old cam is in the 10 o'clock position). I need to know is there any motors that could possibly work in the truck that would have a different cam or is this a cam that was manufactured wrong?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Aside from the cam, the mechanic's mistake was in not turning the engine over by hand to see the lock up before any damage was done.
Was the cam in the new head one for the other bank?
There is no room for guessing and assuming when working on these engines because of the consequences of a mistake and the high resulting expense.
I'm sorry if this is irritating but its the truth.
The mechanic's bo bo.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Aside from the cam, the mechanic's mistake was in not turning the engine over by hand to see the lock up before any damage was done.
Was the cam in the new head one for the other bank?
There is no room for guessing and assuming when working on these engines because of the consequences of a mistake and the high resulting expense.
I'm sorry if this is irritating but its the truth.
The mechanic's bo bo.
Good luck.

I agree with @Bluegrass.

Additionally - I have some doubt the mechanic's story as likely an effort to deflect liability - of which I think rests entirely on his shoulders.

My unbridled curiosity sent me to ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine , thinking perhaps there might be 4.6L engines that were manufactured with a different firing order ---- NOT SO according to the ref:

With a 90 degree block, there is NO logic in a keyway being 120 degrees off on. The cam for the opposite head is the only logical explanation for what happened. Almost certainly no cam for any other engine would even fit. The head builder AND the mechanic both screwed up.

Hope you can come out OK on the deal somehow.