2004 - 2008 F-150

Starter Woes... Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Woes... Plz Help

So last year my OEM starter went out on my 04 FX4. I replaced it with an Amazon starter that I bought for like $70. It worked for a while, then it started to act up. I apologize if this is confusing but it is a very peculiar scenario that the starter doesnt work. If I run the car for about 10 - 15 minutes and then shut it off for about 10 - 15 minutes the starter will not work. If I go under the car and hit it with a hammer, it works. So, for example, if I run down the road to the store, go in for a quick shop, then come back out it wont start unless I bang on the starter with a hammer. So... I replaced it with ANOTHER starter from the same manufacturer. And guess what.... SAME THING!!! Same exact situation. Today, I went under and cleaned all my connections and made sure everything was tight and that didnt help. So... is this just a **** starter? I really dont mind spending the $$ on another starter, but that top bolt is such a pain in the *** that I really dread replacing it. Any thoughts???

Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM
FYI, this is the starter that I've been using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Well, obviously you need to buy another brand, maybe from rockauto.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Well, obviously you need to buy another brand, maybe from rockauto.

I didnt think that was the obvious answer. Rock auto actually sells this starter. I was wondering if I had a bad ground or power cable somewhere that wasnt providing the starter without enough juice to start. And, banging on it loosened it up a bit to allow it to start.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Yeah, rockauto has a little heart by that one which means it is a favorite I think. Maybe take a good look at the cables. Sometimes cables corrode on the inside.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Yeah but when I bang on the starter motor it works. Kind makes me think its not the cables. I guess I'll slice them open and take a look.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM
I agree it does sound like the starter is a fault. After checking the cables, I think I would buy another starter, maybe a more expensive one.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Just cleaned all the cables up top. And I plan on getting a new starter relay. After all of that, it can only be the starter. So I guess we will see. I tried looking for the engine block ground wire but couildnt find it. Anyone know where it is? I followed the ground from the battery and it splits off to a ground inside the passenger side wheel well and then straight to the starter. What am I missing? I will tell you this.... I am NOT doing this one myself. I'll pay a mechanic to replace this one. Ive done it 3 times already and I've had enough.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
True story, FWIW I used to have a LOT of trouble with starters in my big block MOPARs. (I owned six of them at the time!) So much that I used to by starters by the case! I used to carry a spare starter and the exact tools to change it everywhere that I went and I could change out a starter in about 2 minutes! I finally realized that everyone in the area was having their starters rebuild by the same company and they used to put an aluminium pop rivet in the housing to ground the field coil. Steel housing, copper coil and an aluminium rivet! They'd last about a month before the ground to the coil would fail due to galvanic corrosion! Symptoms were always the same, you could hear the starter relay kick in, the big electromagnetic relay on the starter would kick in but the starter wouldn't actually run. I finally took one apart and replaced the pop rivet with a small nut and bolt and scrapped more of the insulation from the field coil so that it got a better ground. I put back together with locktight on the nut and bolt and I run that starter for about 6 or 7 yeas with no problem.

My advice, STOP paying a mechanic to REPLACE parts! Find out what's wrong and fix it. Take your starter out and take to an auto parts place and have them test it and see if it works. If it doesn't then find some books and find out how it's supposed to work, then take it apart and find out what's wrong. If you have to, buy another starter and put it in so that you can use the truck in the mean time. But tinker with that starter until you can find out what's wrong and fix it and make it work.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM
UPDATE - I cleaned the **** out of all of my connections, including engine ground, battery wires, etc.... I replaced the starter relay and havent had an issue in a while. Then... the truck sat for about 5 days. I took a quick trip to Target (10 minute ride) and the truck wouldnt start when I wanted to leave. Instead of banging on the starter, I put the truck in Neutral and let it roll forward, about a foot. After that, it started right up. So, the only thing it can be is this starter. Why am I the only one having problems with the cheap starter, wtf.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would it starting after rolling forward a foot in neutral indicate the starter? I would look at the lockout switch in the shift mechanism that only allows you to start in Park or Neutral.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM
I put it back in park before starting it. When the car rolls it rolls the starter, essentially, moving it. For whatever reason its getting stuck and banging it with a hammer, or letting it roll un-sticks it. If you read my original post, I noted that it starts in these situations when I tap the starter with a hammer, which would obviously rule out the shift mechanism that you speak of (I think).

Old 01-30-2017, 05:08 PM
An automatic tranny won't rotate the engine while coasting in neutral. I'd double check that safety switch...

Old 01-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Plus the bendix on the starter won't be meshed with the flywheel, otherwise the starter gear would be completely chewed up.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 PM
I will, where is it? Im just confused then, why will it start when I bang on the starter with a hammer? How is that related to that safety switch?