2004 - 2008 F-150

Help needed. Wont start

Old 11-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed. Wont start

As should be expected.

Ive had zero problems with my 07 f150 until today. Im set to leave town for a training event and this morning the truck would not crank.

over the last week I did notice slower cranking each day as i started the truck.

I noticed the terminals were quite corroded and I have cleaned them and hooked up the battery charger. It does crank slowly right now but no firing yet.

should I patiently wait until better charged? should I be concerned about the alternator or battery themselves?

the sight window on top of the battery does show some green when i look down into it. that is a good sign, right?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Wrong section. Go the most appropriate forum section and post there.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
If that's the original battery, it should have been replaced 4 years ago. If you can't get it started, pull it and go get it load tested. If you do get it going with a full charge, go get it load tested anyway, and have the alternator tested too. Parts stores can do this in the parking lot without pulling them out of the vehicle.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it was me, since your battery is old anyway I'd skip the testing and just buy a new battery (AGM preferably).

Then, install it and it will start. Then test the alternator. But a meter on the battery and it should be around 14V or slightly higher if the alternator is functioning properly.

If you get only 12V then replace your alternator. Problem solved.

Search this Thread