2004 - 2008 F-150

05 XLT 5.4L triton performance mods suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 XLT 5.4L triton performance mods suggestions?

So I know what I want to do to the exterior and interior, but need some ideas on what to do to the engine for better performance without going overboard and killing fuel economy. Any ideas? Currently has 77k miles and is pretty much stock as far as I know. I won't be doing any towing and I'll be installing a 2.5" leveling kit to eventually put 18" in. wheels on her if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't do the level unless you like the even look and don't haul/tow anything.
Get an SCT tuner first, you'll be surprised at the difference a new tune will make.
You can then add an exhuast if you like some sound and do the Gotts intake for more air flow, but that's about it. Pretty easy $1000 to spend.

The next worthwhile performance upgrade is a supercharger, but that's $5000k to get started.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I wouldn't do the level unless you like the even look and don't haul/tow anything.
Get an SCT tuner first, you'll be surprised at the difference a new tune will make.
You can then add an exhuast if you like some sound and do the Gotts intake for more air flow, but that's about it. Pretty easy $1000 to spend.

The next worthwhile performance upgrade is a supercharger, but that's $5000k to get started.
Hey thanks! I don't plan on towing anything and I do like the leveled look. Is there any abnormal wear and tear that the leveling kit can cause?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2.5" will cause some accelerated wear on the ball joints and upper control arms, but it's managable. 3" will totally wreck them.

Jack up the front of your truck 2.5" and look at the angle of your UCAs and you can see what I mean. Some guys (myself included) switch to uniball UCAs to totally get rid of the balljoint problem.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On an 05, I'd get some shorty headers, exhaust of your choice (mainly for sound, but some performance gain), and an SCT tuner with a custom tune or two. The 04-06 had crappy exhaust manifolds that benefit quite a bit from the shorty headers. Of course going full headers is great, but is more trouble than it's worth when you're not running forced induction. Gotts mod on the intake is about as good as anything else out there, and cheap.

Do the spacers if your want, but I really don't notice much of a difference from stock. However, I tow fairly often and don't like the nose of the truck being sky-high when I tow, so I won't be getting the spacers. The size of your wheels (17 vs 18) has nothing to do with the leveling kit use. However, you can usually run 34-35" tires with the leveling kit installed on the 4x4's, 33's if it's 2WD.

Last edited by SoonerTruck; 06-20-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 XLT 5.4L triton performance mods suggestions?