F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   It was destiny .... rust hole in muffler (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/510026-destiny-rust-hole-muffler.html)

tbear853 04-23-2016 11:04 AM

It was destiny .... rust hole in muffler

2 Attachment(s)
I bought my '07 FX4 in August 2009, had 24,xxx miles and a then still near new FlowMaster SI / DO muffler with twin rear exit tips. I knew it was a bit loud at test drive and after making my deal, after getting the truck home .... I replaced the 30 or so inches of intermediate pipe with a 28" long CherryBomb "Bullet" and that killed 80-90% of the heavy drone while leaving a nice tone.

I figured that "Bullet" would be needing replacement before the FlowMaster ..... but looks like I was wrong. :D

October 5th, 2015 ....

Attachment 2114

Apri 21st, 2016 ....

Attachment 2115

I still have the OEM 2.5" SS intermediate pipe. I had actually extended the "Bullet" and made ends so it keyed like the stock pipe so that I could do a bolt on CatBack when the day arrived if needed. I like the twin tips out the back .... but danged iffin they are'nt expensive in SS? :(

My pipes are sound still ..... but they are aluminized steel ..... debate is .....
DO I let local guy cut and weld in a new muffler, maybe put OEM pipe back and have him work between that and my twin 2.25" tail pipes .....
...... or ......
DO I just "Bite the Bullet" ..... and go with a Flowmaster (or other) Stainless Steel cat back system?

Looked at twin rear tips and side exits behind Rt Rr tire ..... but while I hate "price" ..... I do like the idea of a SS system that'll last and last. Truck is lowered 2" from stock with near stock rake. Sure, it's 10 years old, but exhaust is about the only rusty part underneath besides driveshaft ..... miles are low, I'll be keeping her for a long time yet I guess.

Time to read that Exhaust Forum closer I rekon? :whistle:

tbear853 04-23-2016 12:30 PM

Well, a little looking revealed this system in stainless steel at what looks like a very reasonable price ....

http://legatoperformance.com/product...FU5ZhgodiUEPOg

Gotta go out for a spell ...... look later.;)

ddellwo 04-23-2016 12:44 PM

If you are planning on keeping the truck for awhile I'd be inclined to go with a new SS cat-back system -- that way you are done with worrying about the exhaust as long as you will own the truck. If the balance of your pipes a aluminized, chances are they will eventually go as well, and you will end-up spending as much money piecing together your current system over the years and just buying the new system right now and forgetting about it.

However, if you only planning on driving it for another year or two, I'd just let the local guy fab something up that will last long enough for you to sell the vehicle and let the next guy worry about the long term solution.

tbear853 04-24-2016 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ddellwo (Post 5191544)
If you are planning on keeping the truck for awhile I'd be inclined to go with a new SS cat-back system --

I know ..... as one gets older they are forced to deal with "sticker shock" more often.

When I was in my early 20s, I had a couple part time jobs and by then had traded a Toyota in on a well maintained 25K miles '73 Mustang Grande 2dr hdtp, it was a "personal luxury" type Mustang, long hood, short deck, copper with a white top, loaded for a Mustang .... and had a 302 2bbl. This was about 1975. I had Midas muffler shop guy put entire exhaust with aluminized steel from manifolds back with two new Mustang "Midas" mufflers, hangers, etc ..... and nice chrome slash cut tips for $120.

In 1986 the day after I brought my "new to me" and "loud" '77 F150 4x4 home from Covington after buying it, a trip that was noisy thanks to two Cherrybombs hanging under frame rails with side exits in front of rear tires (and I was a Trooper) .... my muffler guy here (Dale) did from manifolds back to rear bumper, both sides, 2-1/4 aluminized pipe, two lifetime warrantied Turbo Mufflers .... $160. Pipes usually lasted two sets of mufflers, first pipes he made lasted 11 years.
In the 30 years since, he's replaced them mufflers "a few times" and the pipes twice ahead of the mufflers ands recently .... a third time for tail pipes. I paid him $130 for just the two recent tail pipes (and he told me that while aluminized, they weren't gonna last as long as they did years ago as quality is down ... he said?).

I really like my '07, it's a distinctive truck, comfortable, easy in / out, get's looks, low miles, I do not want to be piecing exhaust together for the next 5-10-20 years or however long I have it.
$409 shipped is ..... I guess ...... GOOD for a totally stainless steel system with tips, hangers, etc. Think I am going to order the Legato Performance system (link) .... and if I find it does drone like this now rotted FM system did when I bought the truck in 2009 ... (they use a chambered muffler that looks like a FM, but it's stainless steel .... so ... ????), .... I can always add a "bullet" muffler with 2.5" or 3" core ahead of it like I did this system on there now. I'll just do it in stainless too.

Besides the hole and knowing how fast they spread ..... all that rust on the muffler and the pipe seams really looks trashy underneath my truck. Get a new SS exhaust system in place, maybe a wire brush to the driveshaft and some paint will follow!

:coffee:

EDITED 042716 ..... so Monday I ordered the Legato #LEX4210 stainless cat back system mentioned above, SI/DO chambered muffler and two 2.5" OD tail pipes and polished tips, all stainless steel. Double walled tips, new hanger for left side, uses factory three hangers, band clamps. Supposed to be here Friday.

:think:

07massHD 04-24-2016 07:17 PM

The exact thing happened to my 07. Same side and mileage. I ditched the flowcrapper and went with the dynomax turbo. Sounds awesome. Now I have to do tailpipes!!

mletchworth 04-25-2016 10:28 AM

I just dealt with this problem 6 weeks ago. My muffler wasn't too bad, but the dual tailpipes and chrome tips were rusty with holes. I ended up buying a magnaflow muffler and SS tips and paying a muffler shop to bend some aluminized pipes and install everything.

I opted to spend a little more on a good muffler and tips, rather than the whole system. I figure it'll probably last another 8-10 years.

Here's my shopping list:

Magnaflow 12278 (5"x8" SI/DO 3"/2.25"), $135
CherryBomb 3.5"x22" SS exhaust tips, $56
Tailpipes and install, $240

Total = $435

You can find kits on ebay that feature Magnaflow mufflers w/ generic tailpipes, but I chose to have someone install it for me, and it was cheaper to have them bend the pipes.

Flowmaster Exhaust 04-28-2016 02:20 PM

We are sorry to see what has happened to your muffler and unfortunately, depending on the road and weather conditions of the area that you live, aluminized steel mufflers and exhaust system components can corrode and rust over time. Because of this, we always stress the fact that stainless steel exhaust systems, mufflers, kits, etc. are the way to go if you live in a region where harsh weather and road conditions, especially salt or chemical treatments, are an issue. Flowmaster's aluminized products are covered by a 3-year warranty to the original purchaser, but we also offer a full line of stainless steel systems and mufflers in mild, moderate and aggressive sound levels, that are backed by our lifetime limited warranty. If you like the Flowmaster sound, give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we will see if we can help you get back into a setup that will better suit your sound preferences and last for the life of your truck.

dewalt17 04-28-2016 02:29 PM

I went true dual, 2.25", with a dynomax Ultra-flo X, and have never been happier. I had a single in, dual out, Flowmaster 40 before, and it lasted like 4yrs. I was never happy with it, from the day I got it. I put a thrush glasspack in front of it, to cut down the drone.

tbear853 04-28-2016 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 07massHD (Post 5191668)
... etc ... Now I have to do tailpipes!!

Originally Posted by mletchworth (Post 5191725)
I just dealt with this problem 6 weeks ago. My muffler wasn't too bad,
... etc ...
Magnaflow 12278 (5"x8" SI/DO 3"/2.25"), $135
CherryBomb 3.5"x22" SS exhaust tips, $56
Tailpipes and install, $240

Total = $435

You can find kits on ebay that feature Magnaflow mufflers w/ generic tailpipes, but I chose to have someone install it for me, and it was cheaper to have them bend the pipes.

Just in the Fall I had two new 2.5" tail pipes made up and installed on my '77 that I've had since 1986. $130 and that's with no fancy tips (that would look out of place anyway). I don't mind a little rust on the pipes under my '77, a little rust just helps the exhaust to look "correct" for that truck. I know the body needs attention, but I have new doors, bedsides, even OEM tailgate for it and all the rubber and lights and a 400 on a stand and it's got new upgraded with F350 parts and larger calipers brakes & RedHead Steering and ..... it's a damn fine driving dependable '77 that just happens to have "some rusty parts" I have about lost count of how many pairs of mufflers she's had, but counting the whole set in 1986, third (maybe even 4th?) set of tail pipes now and I know the head pipes have been done three separate times.

But my '07 .... I cringe every time I look under it and the rust I see is all on the exhaust that .... while done "WELL" .... was done in aluminized steel.

Originally Posted by Flowmaster Exhaust (Post 5192160)
We are sorry to see what has happened to your muffler and unfortunately, depending on the road and weather conditions of the area that you live, aluminized steel mufflers and exhaust system components can corrode and rust over time. ... etc ...

Thank You for taking the time to respond .... and to be clear .... I knew when I bought the truck in 2009 with what was then a near new Flowmaster setup that it would only last a few years which is why I used a cheap Cherrybomb to tone it down. That was over 6 years so NO complaints here.

But I also didn't like the look of the growing rust .... and the truck's a keeper .... so it's time for SS. I will definitely keep y'all in mind if this system ordered doesn't pan out so well .... it'll be here tomorrow and weather is gonna be nice.

Originally Posted by dewalt17 (Post 5192164)
I went true dual, 2.25", with a dynomax Ultra-flo X, and have never been happier. I had a single in, dual out, Flowmaster 40 before, and it lasted like 4yrs. I was never happy with it, from the day I got it. I put a thrush glasspack in front of it, to cut down the drone.

Considered true duals with twin mufflers .... but there was that mental hurdle called "costs" to get over if I did true duals in stainless. $7-800 range or more.

I thought a lot on it, I am pleased with the truck's power, it has a tune and get's great mileage as well, seldom almost so that it's more like "RARELY" is it ever punched WOT. I like the looks of twin tips out the back and a deep tone as long as not too loud and no harsh drone at highway speeds.

I decided to go all stainless with the system linked above (3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets, twin 2.5" tail pipes, twin 4" polished SS tips, all clamps, etc, totally stainless) and if needed ..... I can tone it down with a SS 15 or 20" long glasspack ahead of the muffler as before .... as you also did.

From what I can tell on line, the muffler in the kit is chambered .... but I have no idea as to loudness. Once I put that long 2.5" ID Cherrybomb on ahead of that short FM .... I liked the lowered volume FM tone so that is an option.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll know more ........ :wave:

dewalt17 04-29-2016 09:21 AM

I went with the Dynomax Ultra flo x because it is a dual in, dual out model, with the x-pipe built in. I believe borla and magnaflow have similar options, in their lineups.

07massHD 04-29-2016 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by dewalt17 (Post 5192232)
I went with the Dynomax Ultra flo x because it is a dual in, dual out model, with the x-pipe built in. I believe borla and magnaflow have similar options, in their lineups.

I had that exact muffler on old truck and loved it. My 07 now has the dynomax super turbo. Single in dual out. Now I need tailpipes one has rotted!
Love the dynomax

tbear853 04-30-2016 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the system arrived yesterday morning and so I unpacked it, checked condition, and then removed old system and installed new system. Took me a good while to get the rusty bolts ground out of the OEM band clamp at front connection .... then moved a hanger and took my time tending to some things underneath and in the yard with "Wife Unit" .... I took bunches of pics .... took a good while to get all the parts alignments figured out to get it all like I wanted .... and then we took it out to supper.

I am pleased that the low speed rumble is there but volume is lower than it was when I bought the truck in '09 with the single in dual out FM and system, drone is almost non existent except right at 1700-1800 in 3rd or 2nd cruise. Where as I needed badly to install that glass pack in front to kill the drone in 2009 ..... unless things get louder or drone creeps in (it shouldn't) ..... I don't see me adding any to this system. At highway speed in OD, it's maybe some quieter even.

It does have larger pipes, the whole front pipe after the first 3" is a full 3" OD to muffler and the tail pipes are 2.5" OD and all bends are smooth full mandrel bends. The old system used several front pipes where someone welded together but smallest was 2.25" and not mandrel bent .... and the tail pipes were 2.25" OD as well.

I just edited some pics and uploaded ... I will do a more thorough thread with pics later .... but for now ..... I'm thinking I should put it in this forum as I don't know that I should put a thread about a competitor's product in the forum sponsored by FM?

I also may change to a 3" tip .... or maybe it's just that I'm used to seeing 3" tips that makes these 4" OD tips look "bigger"? :thumber:

:coffee: I'll give them time to "grow on me". :whistle:

Attachment 2092

Attachment 2093

07massHD 04-30-2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by tbear853 (Post 5192353)
Well, the system arrived yesterday morning and so I unpacked it, checked condition, and then removed old system and installed new system. Took me a good while to get the rusty bolts ground out of the OEM band clamp at front connection .... then moved a hanger and took my time tending to some things underneath and in the yard with "Wife Unit" .... I took bunches of pics .... took a good while to get all the parts alignments figured out to get it all like I wanted .... and then we took it out to supper.

I am pleased that the low speed rumble is there but volume is lower than it was when I bought the truck in '09 with the single in dual out FM and system, drone is almost non existent except right at 1700-1800 in 3rd or 2nd cruise. Where as I needed badly to install that glass pack in front to kill the drone in 2009 ..... unless things get louder or drone creeps in (it shouldn't) ..... I don't see me adding any to this system. At highway speed in OD, it's maybe some quieter even.

It does have larger pipes, the whole front pipe after the first 3" is a full 3" OD to muffler and the tail pipes are 2.5" OD and all bends are smooth full mandrel bends. The old system used several front pipes where someone welded together but smallest was 2.25" and not mandrel bent .... and the tail pipes were 2.25" OD as well.

I just edited some pics and uploaded ... I will do a more thorough thread with pics later .... but for now ..... I'm thinking I should put it in this forum as I don't know that I should put a thread about a competitor's product in the forum sponsored by FM?

I also may change to a 3" tip .... or maybe it's just that I'm used to seeing 3" tips that makes these 4" OD tips look "bigger"? :thumber:

:coffee: I'll give them time to "grow on me". :whistle:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...pstwyldozu.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...psfbu5j2fr.jpg

How does it sound?!

tbear853 04-30-2016 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 07massHD (Post 5192392)
How does it sound?!

I am very pleased with it .... not overly loud, not even quite as loud as before with both FM & Cherrybomb in place .... it does "pop" or "Burble" a little if you just hit the gas a little and let off .... gentle reving like when not going down the road. There is also a little drone at 1700-1800 at certain times but that's easy to stop with a relaxing of the throttle.

I did post a thread over in the exhaust forum about my install. https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ml#post5192397

I know a lot of guys that want loud might not like this at first, and it's possible it's louder outside than it is inside the cab .... but based on interior noise .... it is no louder and at times, some quoieter than what was on it ..... and is easily quieter than just the FM by itself as was the case when I bought the truck in 2009.

EDITED 050916:
Well, we've put some miles on it, no change in sound, still quieter than a stand alone FM40 that was on it when purchased ..... but after a longer drive on the Interstate at 65-70 mph, right where the tach rests at 1700-1800 rpm ..... on a slight grade ..... the drone I spoke of above ..... does "get old". I decided yesterday to add a Dynomax 25" long 3" ID glasspack ahead of the muffler like I did with the old system.

EDITED 051116:
New stainless steel glasspack came yesterday afternoon just as I was leaving my part time job and so I come home and put it on ahead of the chambered muffler Legato included with the kit. Details in that thread over in exhaust (see above in this post) .... I really like this and still under $500 total total SS system.

dewalt17 05-02-2016 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 07massHD (Post 5192285)
I had that exact muffler on old truck and loved it. My 07 now has the dynomax super turbo. Single in dual out. Now I need tailpipes one has rotted!
Love the dynomax

Yea, I love mine as well. Can actually hold a conversation in the truck, when going down the highway, since the drone is pretty much 0.