F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   2005 F-150 Electrical? Won't shift out of park (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/509023-2005-f-150-electrical-wont-shift-out-park.html)

moodyjs 02-20-2016 08:01 PM

2005 F-150 Electrical? Won't shift out of park

Hopefully someone can point me in a direction because after pouring over these forums and dismantling my steering column, I'm stuck.

Yesterday I got in my truck and it wouldn't shift out of park. A few quick searches and I was able to locate the button to manually engage the brake shift activator and drive home, however I had no turn signals, but my brake lights were functioning. When I had time to actually look into the problem yesterday, it had resolved itself, everything worked fine again.

This morning, same issues. After research, checking fuses and lights, I assumed my actuator was faulty so I removed it. With direct power it works fine.

Only other clue I have is with power on, my turn signal indicators are both lit solid as is my high beam indicator. Neither lights are actually on and turns signals don't function. If I switch on my headlights, high beam indicator goes off and then indicator comes on if I click on high beams. Without power hazard lights function properly.

I would consider changing the brake light switch, but when I disconnect it, the turn signals and high beam light stay lit, so I'm thinking an electrical "hiccup" somewhere?

Ideas??????????????????????

Thanks

moodyjs 02-21-2016 04:17 PM

One other symptom, steering wheel does not lock with ignition off.

Gordon M. 02-21-2016 06:14 PM

Possibly it's The Multi Function Switch (Turn Signal Switch)

aperkins 02-23-2016 10:02 PM

shifter linkage cable? from shifter to tranny?

Mathew Bodinus 04-06-2016 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by moodyjs (Post 5183912)
Hopefully someone can point me in a direction because after pouring over these forums and dismantling my steering column, I'm stuck.

Yesterday I got in my truck and it wouldn't shift out of park. A few quick searches and I was able to locate the button to manually engage the brake shift activator and drive home, however I had no turn signals, but my brake lights were functioning. When I had time to actually look into the problem yesterday, it had resolved itself, everything worked fine again.

This morning, same issues. After research, checking fuses and lights, I assumed my actuator was faulty so I removed it. With direct power it works fine.

Only other clue I have is with power on, my turn signal indicators are both lit solid as is my high beam indicator. Neither lights are actually on and turns signals don't function. If I switch on my headlights, high beam indicator goes off and then indicator comes on if I click on high beams. Without power hazard lights function properly.

I would consider changing the brake light switch, but when I disconnect it, the turn signals and high beam light stay lit, so I'm thinking an electrical "hiccup" somewhere?

Ideas??????????????????????

Thanks

Hey bud, I have this EXACT same issue as of today. Were you able to figure out the fix?

aperkins 04-07-2016 10:39 AM

Try your PCM plug, see if it's loose... check battery grounds?

Todd Co 04-15-2016 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by aperkins (Post 5184329)

That's a common cause and would be the first place I start. The clip holding the shift cable to the bracket on the transmission is known to fail and fall off.

projectSHO89 04-15-2016 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mathew Bodinus (Post 5189675)
Hey bud, I have this EXACT same issue as of today. Were you able to figure out the fix?

His symptoms were of a defective ground circuit but he never returned to report what happened.

if your symptoms are EXACTLY the same, check the grounding studs behind the passenger and driver's kick panels. If they are not EXACTLY the same, then clarify the symptoms.

Try your PCM plug, see if it's loose... check battery grounds?
Neither are possibilities, either would manifest in different symptoms.

If that were to happen, the shift lock override function would also fail.

JTistle1 12-11-2016 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same issues here, I think I found the problem. 😶

projectSHO89 12-11-2016 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JTistle1 (Post 5208457)
Same issues here, I think I found the problem. 😶

Ouch. Extra ventilation, there, it seems.

JTistle1 12-11-2016 04:34 PM

Just need to fill it with expanding foam, and drill a new hole. 😎:coffee:

Blue_Blood 12-15-2016 02:06 AM

Had the same issue, that at times I was able to temporarily fix by manipulating the brake module (didn't know about the override). End of the day had to have the shifter assembly replaced under warranty.

theleon 09-27-2018 05:11 PM

same problem

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 5190581)
His symptoms were of a defective ground circuit but he never returned to report what happened.

if your symptoms are EXACTLY the same, check the grounding studs behind the passenger and driver's kick panels. If they are not EXACTLY the same, then clarify the symptoms.

Neither are possibilities, either would manifest in different symptoms.

If that were to happen, the shift lock override function would also fail.

I have the Exact same thing happening now. I checked the ground lugs and they look fine, anything else I can try?

ben michaud 05-19-2019 07:44 AM

Wont shift out of park

I have a 2004 f150 with a simular issue. It wouldn't shift out of park with the headlighys on. Turn off headlights and I would although my heater didn't work just right. Turn on. The lights and shifter was stuck and no signal lights . the fix was a faulty ground on the passengers side where the fuse box is by the passengers feet there is 3 wires that go into one connector and screw into the cab of the truck I cut the wire put on a new connector and sanded the cab to give it a better ground and it works fine. So start there hope it helps

theleon 05-19-2019 05:50 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by ben michaud (Post 5250497)
I have a 2004 f150 with a simular issue. It wouldn't shift out of park with the headlighys on. Turn off headlights and I would although my heater didn't work just right. Turn on. The lights and shifter was stuck and no signal lights . the fix was a faulty ground on the passengers side where the fuse box is by the passengers feet there is 3 wires that go into one connector and screw into the cab of the truck I cut the wire put on a new connector and sanded the cab to give it a better ground and it works fine. So start there hope it helps

That fixed it! thanks!