2004 - 2008 F-150

Noise front right fender possible hub issue??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise front right fender possible hub issue??

I've had an annoying brake squeak on the driver side for weeks and finally got to it . Turns out it just needed the brake hardware on the driver side . The body shop broke a retainer which cause it to walk and contact the rotor .... Not cool man!!
Anyway I jack up my truck (had to do this on the floor ) and remove the caliper install new hardware lube it and reassemble . So I torque the wheel and drive it around to make sure the brake noise is gone. However I got this noise on right side ... It's almost like something got stuck in the dust shield . It's a 4x4 so I'm fearing a hub.... I noticed that at idle or light throttle ( when vaccuum) is high no noise is heard , but once I give it throttle it really shows up . It's almost sounds like cards on a bicycle spokes ... Weird . I will drive it with the 4x4 activated to see if it changes and check the vacuum lines . I don't think it's the solenoid as it would affect both hubs.Any of you guys out there with this issue in the past, your help is appreciated . Thanks for your time .

Old 02-16-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's most likely the IWE.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
It's most likely the IWE.
Are you referring to the solenoid behind the battery or the actual 4x4 actuator ..... I plan on doing both but if I can avoid getting to axle out it would be nice.... But that would be too easy

Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford truckman
Are you referring to the solenoid behind the battery or the actual 4x4 actuator ..... I plan on doing both but if I can avoid getting to axle out it would be nice.... But that would be too easy
If you use the search function here, you'll find tons of information on the IWE's and the systems that control them.

As for your issue, it could be just a bad solenoid. But, if the solenoid is bad for long enough, it will take out one or both IWEs. The solenoid is about a 5 minute job. If you have the right tools and equipment, each IWE is about a 30-45 minute job. And yes, both can be done in your driveway.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Done

Originally Posted by 2stroked
If you use the search function here, you'll find tons of information on the IWE's and the systems that control them.

As for your issue, it could be just a bad solenoid. But, if the solenoid is bad for long enough, it will take out one or both IWEs. The solenoid is about a 5 minute job. If you have the right tools and equipment, each IWE is about a 30-45 minute job. And yes, both can be done in your driveway.
It was the passenger Hub actuator ... I couldn't see any water or seal issue but the teeth were grinded on the edge . I had a hard time with the over torque wheel but after that it was a cool 45-50 min job.... Not the easiest job but not the hardest . Installed a new solenoid as well problem solved !

Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
weird, totally posted to a thread I did not post in....

Quick Reply: Noise front right fender possible hub issue??