2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 No Crank, No Start

Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 No Crank, No Start

Hi guys, original owner and first issue after 12 years, so hoping you experts know what to look for.

I parked the truck and the next morning when i go to start it, all I get is a click sound at the relay on the passenger side fuse box inside the truck and a click down at the starter.

Battery checks out good, so it was wrong of me to assume that the starter was the issue. Had a heck of a good time figuring out how to get that out, but with an assortment of extensions/sockets, I got it out and started to bolt the new one in. Before I went for that hidden top bolt, I figured I should give it a try to make sure it works and unfortunately I'm getting the same sound.

If I hold the key in the start position, it will click until I let off the key and when I let off the key I get this weird winding type sound coming from the steering column.

I've tried changing fuses with other fuses in the box, same with the relays and still getting the same thing. I've also swapped the PCM fuses with the same result.

What do you guys suggest and/or what other info can I provide?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Welcome to the forums 1BadRS!

What engine do you have in your truck? Also is it heritage or the new body style?

You might want to check to make sure the gear selector is in P or N. Sometimes wiggling it or going through the PRNDL selections will get it going. Sometimes they don't like to go back and next thing your truck won't start.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:46 PM
As ManualF150 said make sure you run the gear selector through all the gears while the key is out of the ignition. I had this issue on another truck of mine and doing this would fix the no start issue. I have a digital copy of the repair manual for the 2004-2008 F150's if you are interested in it, I could email a copy to you.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If the starter relay in the CJB and the starter itself clicks, there's nothing wrong with the circuit from the key switch via the DTR switch to the CJB relay.

The problem sounds like it's in the high-current supply from the battery to the starter motor or its ground.

Perform voltage drop test to isolate.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:34 AM
I appreciate the follow up. I forgot to mention what motor it had and which body style. It is a 4.6L and the newer body style, not heritage.

This is very strange, but it actually looks like a bad battery causing this issue. A friend brings over one of those jumper boxes and the truck fires up. I say it is strange because the green dot is showing on the battery and it shows on my meter that it is fully charged. We even put a charger on it overnight, but just clicking when I tried to start it so I just assumed it was not the battery. I will say, it is the original battery from 2004, so hard to complain given how long it has lasted, but confused on why it seems good, but is clearly not.

Thanks for the help, great site!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:18 AM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
Original battery? It should have died years ago. When you go to the store to get a new one, I bet it will spectacularly fail a load test. The green dot really doesn't mean anything.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've got two bad Group 65 batteries sitting in shop right now that will charge right up and show 13.8v. Until I throw load on them then they go right down to 8v. Group 65's are usually right around 900-1000 CA. These suckers barely get 180 CA.

Voltage does not mean a hill of beans with batteries.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 No Crank, No Start