2004 - 2008 F-150

F-150 2005 5,4 triton IMRC IMRCV ? Diagnozis

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 2005 5,4 triton IMRC IMRCV ? Diagnozis

Hello F150 fans Emotikon smile
I have problem, i have f-150 2005 5,4 triton. I have problem with Intake Manifold Runner Control. I bought IMRC on amazon and now when i look on old IMRC i can fully open valves in manifold (they move 90 degrees). Now when new one is installed it opens freely only 45 degrees is this work OK ? or is this broken ? Or maybe it will open fully when is plugged on engine running ? I need fast help Emotikon smile Btw sorry for my english.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 PM
You are not supposed to move the butterflies at all with the actuator motor hooked to the linkages. If I remember correctly, it states this right on the motor itself.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
@EBC-150 is correct. It is a stepper motor and should not be moved by hand. / may screw up stepping position. It was stamped on my factory original one, on my replacement one ---- and I can see it is faintly stamped on the one in the photo on the AMAZON site.

How did you determine it was bad in the first place? Check engine light and DTC?

At $55.00, I think I would recommend buying another one and not screw with it.

///////Tried to attach a photo of the IMRCV from Amazon site- but NO JOY attaching/////

Old 09-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Yepp after replacing Check engine popup i have to order again and replace it. It still showing error (my mechanic ****ed up)

Old 09-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Ok i have talked with my mechanic, he told me that i can mowe this butterfly safety max 45 degree, we have open the old IMRCV and its ok when u move butterfly 45 degree, there is safety spring that allow you move it when you installing it. I think im not engeneer but as i saw when moving IMRCV 45 degree inside work only spring.

anyway after replacing IMRCV, fuel pump driver, gaskets , sparkplugs and installing flowmaster 40 and cold air intake my f-150 have better moves

I checked in dashcommand and i cen see only 240HP and shoving intake manifold runner control stuck open and fuel pump driver out of range

Old 09-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Post IMRCV diagnostics

@kaktus27 , I would like to thank you for the reporting back what you have learned. You obviously don't have to be an engineer to figure things out. I did not know the IMRCV had a "spring" inside, although I HAVE spent a massive amount of time trying to understand this mysterious little gadget. I have concentrated my efforts on hacking the ECU / OBDII data to create working custom gauges on my Torque Pro App. The IMRCV (a/k/a -IMSCV - Intake Manifold Swirl Control Valve) is one of the MOST misunderstood systems on the 5.4L triton (second only to the Phasers / VCT Solenoids).

If you have "stuck open" DTC after replacing the IMRCV, I would check for obstruction of the runner linkage (very cramped behind the engine). If that's not the problem, I suggest you check out other sensors/systems for the following reasons.

There are only 4 wires connected to the IMRCV: 1 for "+", "-", and two for position setting... ????. Or perhaps it is a smart device on the CAN Bus...??? BUT - there are NO switches on the control rods or intake butterflys to provide feed back to the ECU indicating OPEN/CLOSED status. Nevertheless - the ECU can report the following DTC's.

P1512 Intake Manifold Runner Control (Bank 1) Stuck Closed
P1513 Intake Manifold Runner Control (Bank 2) Stuck Closed
P1537 Intake Manifold Runner Control (Bank 1) Stuck Open
P1538 Intake Manifold Runner Control (Bank 2) Stuck Open

The only way the ECU can figure this out with bank by bank precision is by monitoring O2 the sensors because other available signals (MAF, VACUUM, TORQUE, etc) are common, - not bank specific. The IMRCV must sugnficantly effect the efficiency of combustion if the ECU is able to detect an Open/Closed malfunction condition by Bank.

You mendioned "dashcommand"... (I'm not familiar with what you mean). If your are able to query the relevant PIDs (perameter IDs) available from the OBDII port, the following are the ones available to the Ford Integrated Diagnostics system (or hackers like me - lol).

PID 1103 bit 4 IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner (Swirl) Control 1=ON / 0=OFF
PID 162F bit 6 IMRCF - Intake Manifold Ruller (Swirl) Control Fault 1=ON / 0=OFF
PID 1634 = IMRCM - two bytes (IMRCV Monitor) ??position cmd?? Degrees Open [ formula, (((A*256)+B)/63)*15 ]

Monitoring the custom gauge screen I created in Torque Pro has yielded some BIG surprises - and dispelled some myths. The ECU moves it around all over the place under various driving conditions whether the engine is hot or cold. It runs nearer to closed (0º) in lower ambient temps, but also runs near closed (15º/ 0º) much more of the time than I expected. It closes in response to low RPM throttle, even mid range throttle under load and road speeds (50-65 mph) with acceleration in overdrive. Definitely higher temps - especially "intake air temp" -increases its average normal operating angle (15º-30º up to 30º-45º). It seldom goes to 75º-90º, or beyond 60º except during deceleration - and especially following a period of closed / near closed operation. After driving conditions that have caused the engine to go into open loop (HEAVY load or FLOORBOARDED), it will open WIDE (90º) until the O2 sensors have returned to lean for some time and the engine goes back into close loop. IT IS A MYTH that it opens > 2500 or any given RPMs. In fact, it is very difficult to cause even a 60º or greater revving the engine under no load condition.

There are apparently a complex set of logic conditions the ECU utilizes to manage the IMRCV.

Hope this helps someone understand this little gadget better.

--------------- some screenshots

IMRCV under light load

Letting up on accelerator after moderate load

Under heavy acceleration until closed loop dropped out.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:30 PM
^^^ IMRCV Diagnostics

I forgot to mention the "IMRC-dis" status signal shown on the screenshots. It is actually combined and must be ascertained/extracted from the data in the two bytes of PID 1634. For some reason - when the IMRC valve is set like the ECU wants it - the data from PID 1634 goes to hex "FF80" (presumably disabling movement of the valve) and stays there until the next time it needs to move the butterflys. It stays in this mode without changing value the majority of the time. The enable bit (IMRC) will go true, then the data turns from "FF80" to the value representing the desired setting in 15º increments - then go back to and sit at "FF80".

Strange. I think this just disables the valve in its last position until it needs to move again.

Quick Reply: F-150 2005 5,4 triton IMRC IMRCV ? Diagnozis