2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 fx4 4wd ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 fx4 4wd ???

I'm not sure what's wrong after changing spark plugs (went as planned, thank god) On test drive I immediately hear what sounds like a rattling sound in my left front tire like a IWE actuator went bad. The switch inside the cab will light up 4x4 High but not 4X4 Low. Jack it up both wheels spin freely when in 2wd. Have the car running switch it to 4WD and I did not see the axle shaft moving when in 4x4 high.
In 2013 the passenger side actuator went bad. Took it to a shop they replaced the solenoid with the old style one. They replace the switch inside the cab and the IWE actuator on the passenger side.
I pulled a used solenoid off a (06) in a U-PULL-IT yard but it still did the same thing free wheeled in 2wd. But I did not see the axle shaft move when I switch it to 4W High on both side. still not sure

Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Need a little help. Tried to type it out better

Changing spark plugs (went as planned, thank god)
• On test drive I immediately heard what sounds like a rattling sound in my left front tire like a IWE actuator going bad.

• The switch inside the cab will light up 4x4 High but not 4X4 Low.'

• Jack it up both wheels spin freely when in 2wd. they do.

• I have the car running (on jack stands) switch it to 4WD and I did not see the axle shaft and the IWE moving together when in 4x4 high.

• In 2013 the passenger side actuator went bad. Took it to a shop they replaced the solenoid with the old style one. They replace the switch inside the cab and the IWE actuator on the passenger side. Sounds like the same type of rattling sound.

• I pulled a used solenoid off a (06) F-150 in a U-PULL-IT yard but it still did the same thing free wheeled in 2wd. But I did not see the axle shaft and the IWE engaged when switched to 4W High on both sides of the vehicle.
still not sure.
ps. Is there a hose on the back of the intake manifold for the IWE on the 2005 models? check this guys video out. Not sure where that is located.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Can anybody give me an exploded view of where this IWE Vacuum Hose is located on the back of the intake manifold, like this gentleman is explaining in this youtube video. He describes how he fixed the problem but did not show you any hose in the video.
Any help would be appreciated. Looking for an exploded view. hers the link

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Search on YouTube (ford f150 4x4 diagnosis no tools) and you will find several great videos. I recall the guy's name was fordtechmaculoco.

Quick Reply: 2005 fx4 4wd ???