2004 - 2008 F-150

Goodbye and Thank You!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye and Thank You!

Well, this is a real sad, but exciting time for our family! I traded in my Roush and got a Dodge Ram of all things! Reasons for trading in were we're moving up north and needed something that can handle the snow, and buying a third vehicle was out of the question. Why a Dodge? Well honestly I looked at almost all the Ford dealerships in this area and in other states for a Ford F150 4x4. I test drove them all, from Raptors to Ecoboosts, to Harleys. Surprisingly, all the Ford dealerships I went to had temporary brain damage when it comes to trading in a Roush. They can sell new and used Roush vehicles at a premium because they can, but when it came time to trade in mine, they would look only at the vin# which said it's just a Lariat build. Even though I have it serialized all over the truck, original sticker, and build number, they still said they can only give me KBB on a Lariat. I told them I would take the Roush parts off and make it just a Lariat so at least I could get some money selling the parts. They all said no! Lesson learned I guess! I should've just tried to sell it myself but things happened so fast and we needed to get it done before our move.

I went to a Dodge dealership to look at a used 2011 Harley F150 AWD I saw advertised but when I got there it had been sold the previous day. The salesman took my number and said if anything came up he would call. Well a week later he asked if I was interested in a 4x4 Dodge Ram sport. I told him I'm a Ford guy and was really hoping to get into a Ford. He convinced me just to try it and see since I've never driven one before. I test drove it the next day and LOVED it! I was blown away!! I was dreading the trade in because of what happened at the Ford places. He took down the vin, and then the manager came out and asked for all the original price stickers as well. He said he really wanted it, knew about the value of the Roush brand, and I would not be disappointed. This was at a Dodge dealership guys! He gave me a price and I was shocked! 2 grand over what I wanted originally! I was fine with it and I actually negotiated down a bit on the Dodge and was able to pay cash for it. It came with a factory warranty up to 100,000 miles, but the finance guy happened to be ex military and really stepped it up. He gave us the forever warranty on power train and bumper to bumper which was great. I now own a truck that will be worry free forever! There were several cosmetic issues with the truck inside and out and they repaired them right away without any fuss. I've never had such a positive experience like this with a dealership before.

I want to thank you all for all the advice, conversations, compliments, and fun I've had being a part of this forum. I wish Ford had stepped up and given me what I felt my truck was worth and not have been shown up by Dodge of all places because I really wanted to stay with Ford trucks. This past year has been an amazing time for my Ford truck! I was able to meet Jack Roush several times, got my truck in the readers ride section of Truckin magazine, and best of all I got a featured truck of the month on this great forum! I'll be praying for you guys and will check in from time to time on the forum to see what everyone is up to. God bless you all!

Ken, AKA Jesusfrk

Last edited by Jesusfrk; 07-09-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hey Ken, be sure and stick around. Conversely, we appreciate all your contribution to this forum. Post up a pic of the Dodge when you can. Hope it's a good one for you.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just make sure to double-check that "forever" warranty. They won't make money warrantying everything forever, so find where the loopholes are and be prepared. Good luck with the Ram, it's a decent-looking truck.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What engine does it have?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Hey Ken, be sure and stick around. Conversely, we appreciate all your contribution to this forum. Post up a pic of the Dodge when you can. Hope it's a good one for you.
Thanks Jim! I definitely will when I get a chance!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Just make sure to double-check that "forever" warranty. They won't make money warrantying everything forever, so find where the loopholes are and be prepared. Good luck with the Ram, it's a decent-looking truck.
Thanks for the advice! We definitely will go over all the fine print. We are just excited to have some kind of warranty since we didn't for the Roush or Expedition.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
What engine does it have?
It has the 5.7L Hemi V8. Not as much take off power as the Ecoboost or as "push you back in the seat" as my Roush supercharged 5.4. It feels very similar to the 6.2L in the Raptor. It is a smooth, smooth ride. Not as rough as the 4wd Fords.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I took my 2005 Dodge Magnum Hemi to the dealer to get the recalled gas tank replaced. While I was there, I sat in a new crew cab 4x4 Hemi Ram. I was really impressed. Didn't drive it though. The sticker was over $50k and I ain't in the market for anything that expensive. Maybe if I go on another contract engineering job? I think I'm retired for good though!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with the Ram. Money talks for sure when it comes to financing, especially major items.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many happy miles! Ford is pricing out a bunch of people as the Dodge's can get some pretty good deals going on them. It's a hard nut to swallow for a Ford, sure you get a whole bunch more yada yada yada but it's a vehicle to get you from point A to point B at the end of the day.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Hope to see you stick around Ken

Old 07-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I took my 2005 Dodge Magnum Hemi to the dealer to get the recalled gas tank replaced. While I was there, I sat in a new crew cab 4x4 Hemi Ram. I was really impressed. Didn't drive it though. The sticker was over $50k and I ain't in the market for anything that expensive. Maybe if I go on another contract engineering job? I think I'm retired for good though!
Yeah I hear you! They are very nice inside. The Fords are really nice too. Insides of trucks nowadays look like ****pits. I can't afford a 50k vehicle either. It is a used 2012. I got it for 29k. I never buy new.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Many happy miles! Ford is pricing out a bunch of people as the Dodge's can get some pretty good deals going on them. It's a hard nut to swallow for a Ford, sure you get a whole bunch more yada yada yada but it's a vehicle to get you from point A to point B at the end of the day.
Thanks! I'll wait a few years until Ford knocks out all the kinks in their 15's.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Hope to see you stick around Ken
Thanks Patrick! I'll definitely chime in from time to time! Thanks for everything!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Couple of recommends for you. The engine recommendation for motor oil is a 5w-20. Mopar oil and Pennzoil yellow bottle are the same, just a different colored bottle. You can also use a 5w-30 in that 5.7 as the same engine in a 2500/3500 uses a 5w-30 for more severe duty. Cold weather startup will be the same. The Mopar 5w-30 is also Pennzoil Yellow bottle.Yours should come with a 6 speed auto. Recommended fluid change interval is 60,000 as I recall. I would STRONGLY suggest changing at 35,000 miles and have the dealer ONLY do the change. Their transmission uses a highly specific fluid. You cannot use a one fits all in that Ram and expect any transmission life. Amsoil, Mobil One, anything other than Mopar ATF+4 fluid will shorten transmission life. The transmission in that Ram is a weak link, take care of it. Most will last about 80,000 miles before issues start.
The 5.7 is no real Hemi. The block assembly is an old Mercedes design that came to Ram when Daimler owned them. The engine went thru a head redesign to update it and it's worked pretty decent so far. It can be a fuel hog yet deliver decent mileage if you drive like you own it rather than stole it. About the only major issues over the years has been the drive by wire system and they should have it fixed by now.
If I wasn't so loyal to Ford, I'd probably be driving a Ram. They are building decent trucks these days. The one issue I have with them is that the truck needs a muffler the day you drive it out of the dealership. I'm not a fan of a noisy stock truck. Since you couldn't get the deal you want at Ford, you did the next best thing. Congrats. Hope it lasts as long as you want it. Be safe and come around occasionally. This group could use some religion!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodbye and Thank You!