2004 - 2008 F-150

2008 F150 5.4L nearly stalling when I turn the wheel at a stop and low speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F150 5.4L nearly stalling when I turn the wheel at a stop and low speed

Hey guys,

so today I was sitting at a stop light and Idk why but I just sawed the wheel a little left and a little right and my RPMs fell off. My idle is set around 600rpm and when I turned the wheel it started shuddering really hard and RPMS fell down to about 300RPM. Once I give it the gas it goes away completely....I got it back to my house and it has continued to do the same thing. The engine shudders really bad and the only thing that will sraighten it up is the throttle. Power steering fluid is full.

Edit- cleaned my air filter and the severe rpm drop went away but it still has a little spudder. Thinking I need a good tune up- coils, plugs, and a new air filter

anyone else been through this?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean throttle body?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:43 PM
Throttle body and mass airflow sensor are first on the list tomorrow to clean.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 PM
MDK
how many miles? Maybe either an issue with air or fuel since giving it more A/F seems to make it idle better. Maybe try a new fuel filter or air filter, if that doesn't work some type of fuel system cleaner in the tank. Start with small things if you can which should just involve going back to basic maintenance. I have 60K on my 08 F150 and have had zero issues except for the cold weather power steering line leak.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 AM
welp. As soon as I post about how the problem cleared up, it's right back at it again....my truck has 98,000 miles on it.

When I say it spudders really hard, I mean it almost sounds like its going to throw a rod. I've driven fords for years and I've never heard one like this. Again, it's a low speed issue or when im at a complete stop it'll start bogging down until I give it a little throttle then it clears up. Seems to be triggered even more when I turn the wheel. I know that the power steering pump requires a good bit of power and so I'm starting to think that Im maybe having an air issue?

I'm really hoping I can pin point this thing with yalls help!

Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 AM
MDK
have you tried leaving the steering wheel turned when it starts bogging down to see what happens without giving it gas? Does the truck die?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:10 AM
have you done a power steering fluid exchange on your system recently, or at all?

Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by MDK
have you tried leaving the steering wheel turned when it starts bogging down to see what happens without giving it gas? Does the truck die?
Yes, I have. The truck won't die. Seems like it's going in to limp mode.

Originally Posted by USAFJETMECHANIC
have you done a power steering fluid exchange on your system recently, or at all?
I habe not.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Did you check the fpdm under the spare tire just in case?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Cleaned the the throttle body, MAF, and flushed the power steering fluid. Seemed to have cleared up a bit, but as soon as I thought it was getting better, it started choking at idle again. Going to do plugs and coils this weekend.

No codes BTW. I'm nearly stumped.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:47 PM
So nothing has changed. the power steering functions flawlessly when the engine is cold, but once I get up to temp, the pump whines and I have to use two hands to force the wheel around at low speeds...and then the engine shudder begins. Think I should go forth with changing the pump? All input will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:19 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
How did you flush the PS fluid, and what fluid did you use?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:13 AM
This may be of help for those having PS problems?
Workshop Repair Manuals
Lincoln Workshop Manuals

[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]

lincoln Workshop Repair Guides

Aviator AWD V8-4.6L DOHC VIN H (2003)
Steering and Suspension > Steering > Power Steering > Power Steering Fluid > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Power Steering Fluid: > 06-5-16 > Mar > 06 > Steering - Squeaking Noises When Turning Steering Wheel
background image

Power Steering Fluid: All Technical Service Bulletins
Steering - Squeaking Noises When Turning Steering Wheel

TSB 06-5-16

03/20/06

STEERING GEAR SQUEAK WHEN TURNING THE
STEERING WHEEL DURING LOW SPEED PARKING
MANEUVERS

FORD:
2003-2005 Thunderbird

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Lincoln LS, Aviator

This article supersedes TSB 4-10-1 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE
Some 2003-2005 Thunderbird, Aviator, and Lincoln LS vehicles may exhibit steering gear squeak when turning the steering wheel, especially during low
speed parking maneuvers. The noise may sound like it is coming from the steering column area and may be felt as a roughness in the steering wheel,
while turning.

ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE

USE ONLY THE FLUID AND ADDITIVE SPECIFIED IN THIS ARTICLE. USING ANY OTHER FLUIDS OR ADDITIVES MAY RESULT IN
SEAL DETERIORATION AND LEAKS.

Open the hood and remove the power steering reservoir cap.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 100-00.

With engine off, drain power steering fluid by disconnecting steering lines and clamp plate from steering gear. Refer to Steering Gear Removal
and Installation procedure in Workshop Manual, Section 211-00, follow only the steps required to disconnect the steering lines.

Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock to drain fluid completely.

Reconnect steering lines and clamp plate to steering gear. Torque retainer to 15 N.m (11 lb-ft) for Lincoln LS and Thunderbird, torque to 25 N.m
(18 lb-ft) for Aviator.

Lower vehicle.

In a clean container mix 50 ml (10 teaspoons or 1.7 oz.) of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier, Part Number XL-3, with 50 ml of Motorcraft
MERCON(R) Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid, Part Number XT-2-QDX.

NOTE

DO NOT PERFORM STEPS 8 AND 9 ON A HOT VEHICLE.

Pour the above mixture into the power steering reservoir.

Top off (fill) the power steering system with Motorcraft MERCON(R) Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid, Part Number XT-2-QDX
and reinstall the power steering reservoir cap.

Raise vehicle on hoist enough so the front wheels are off the ground and can be turned from lock-to-lock.

Start the engine and keep it at idle. Remain inside of the vehicle.

Slowly cycle the steering wheel from lock-to-lock for two (2) minutes.

Quickly and forcefully turn the steering wheel in one direction to full lock (either side). Bounce the steering wheel on/off of full lock twenty (20)
times forcefully.

Transmission Repairs
Free Pdf
Repair Manual
Free car repair manuals
Manuals
Technical service bulletins

Background Images
Component
Engine
Replacement automatic transmission
Transmission Repairs
Free Pdf

Steering and Suspension > Steering > Power Steering > Power Steering Fluid > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Power Steering Fluid: > 06-5-16 > Mar > 06 > Steering - Squeaking Noises When Turning Steering Wheel
[PREV PAGE] [NEXT PAGE]

Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Another problem I heard of was cleaning or replacing the ps tank. it may have a clogged screen in it. I have not done any of these repairs yet.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed my idle would fluctuate when turning the wheel, but it was only maybe a 60 rpm difference. I only noticed it because of my exhaust note changing. I sucked out my old power steering fluid with a small pump in 2013 and put new motorcraft ATF in just for peace at mind. Nice new fluid looks better, truck still does the rpm fluctuate but I'm not worried about it.

Quick Reply: 2008 F150 5.4L nearly stalling when I turn the wheel at a stop and low speed