2004 - 2008 F-150

Low fuel light

Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Low fuel light

Hey all, just mildly curious, when my 'low fuel light' comes on, how much gas does that indicate I still have in the tank, how much further can I risk driving?
'05 FX-4, 26 gallon tank.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FX-4 Man
Hey all, just mildly curious, when my 'low fuel light' comes on, how much gas does that indicate I still have in the tank, how much further can I risk driving?
'05 FX-4, 26 gallon tank.
You should never run it that low anyway. The fuel pump is submerged in fuel and that helps keep it cool. Besides running out of gas, you risk damaging your fuel pump or sucking in debris from the bottom of the tank.

And if you really want to know, fuel up when your low fuel gage comes on and see how many gallons it'll take. That'll tell you how much fuel is still in your tank.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The low fuel light usually indicates 2-3 gallons of fuel left in the tank. I know on my "daily driver" '97 Cavalier that when the light comes on the level is low enough that if you make a HARD stop the gas sloshes around enough to cause the engine to hesitate and sputter before returning to normal. Of course, you could always throw a 5-gallon can of gas in the bed and then go for a ride if you really wanted to find out for sure on your truck!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I have a 25 gallon tank and when the light pops on it takes 21 gallons.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
I have gone as far as 35 miles with my 05 and didn't want to push it any further.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait... We have a fuel light?!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ubuthedog
Wait... We have a fuel light?!
The odometer will say "low fuel"

Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Yea I was being a smart ***. I don't ever let mine come on though

Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ubuthedog
Yea I was being a smart ***. I don't ever let mine come on though
Ha. Sorry the sarcasm didn't come across via the Internet. I don't let mine come on either. Fill up every time I get to 1/4 tank. Always have, always will. Not worth the risk of running out of fuel or causing damage due to being lazy haha.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My display says "50 miles to E" when the low fuel light comes on, FWIW. I never fill up before the light comes on, and have filled up with 26-27 gallons on a number of occasions before. I'd wager that my average fuel fill up is 25 gallons or so, and not so much as a hiccup from the fuel pump. The fuel pump is at the bottom of the tank and a gallon is enough to keep it cool for the limited amount of time until the tank is filled. I'm not sure that I agree with the "sucking in debris" claim, either. Unless you truly run the tank completely dry, the chance of ingesting debris is really pretty small.

Fill up at whatever level you feel comfortable with. I usually wait until 20-30 miles to E on the dash display. YMMV

Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
My display says "50 miles to E" when the low fuel light comes on, FWIW. I never fill up before the light comes on, and have filled up with 26-27 gallons on a number of occasions before. I'd wager that my average fuel fill up is 25 gallons or so, and not so much as a hiccup from the fuel pump. The fuel pump is at the bottom of the tank and a gallon is enough to keep it cool for the limited amount of time until the tank is filled. I'm not sure that I agree with the "sucking in debris" claim, either. Unless you truly run the tank completely dry, the chance of ingesting debris is really pretty small.

Fill up at whatever level you feel comfortable with. I usually wait until 20-30 miles to E on the dash display. YMMV
It's a claim a lot have made. But I don't think you or I have actually proof to either theory. I just don't think its personally worth risking, running it down that low every time.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
It's a claim a lot have made. But I don't think you or I have actually proof to either theory. I just don't think its personally worth risking, running it down that low every time.
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that everyone drive until the last gallon of fuel is all that's left in the tank. I just think people make a bigger deal about it than it really is. If you buy fuel from crappy fuel stations, the chances of having debris enter the tank is higher, but the fuel filter should catch it anyhow. I don't worry about it much. so to each their own.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that everyone drive until the last gallon of fuel is all that's left in the tank. I just think people make a bigger deal about it than it really is. If you buy fuel from crappy fuel stations, the chances of having debris enter the tank is higher, but the fuel filter should catch it anyhow. I don't worry about it much. so to each their own.
I agree with you. I try not to get low quality fuel ever. And I make sure the fuel filter is changed every 15k. The general population never changes their fuel filters for the life of their vehicles, so I doubt they're worried about their fuel pump either. Haha

Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 AM
It's probably safe to drive it in an emergency especially if you're not taking it anywhere too far. I usually gas up by the time my tank goes down 1/4, i rarely have to put up with a low fuel light (i hate it when that happens). The 2-3 gallons is there to ensure you find a gas station before you're completely dry.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 AM

I program my fill ups with my scangauge every time and it's always pretty accurate. It pretty exact to how much fuel I've used and how much I fill up. Yesterday I waited till I have an 1/8 of a tank left and it read that I had 90 miles to E.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low fuel light