2004 - 2008 F-150

WTH is that front end noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WTH is that front end noise?!

Okay so here's the poop. I have a noise in my front end. When just getting moving and turning, say backing out of a parking space, it is a fairly loud popping noise.

In the last 12K miles I have replaced the following.

Upper and lower ball joints replaced with Moog Problem Solvers.
OEM shocks / coils and Autospring 2.5" level replaced with Rancho QL Loaded 2.5". (Should have just swapped OE sized RS9000s and kept the OE springs / Autospring, the Rancho coils stink...).
Sway Bar end links, again Moog Problem Solvers.

The sway bar end links didn't check out bad, but the sound seemed to be coming from around the sway bar ends when having someone outside the truck and testing...

I have nudged, tugged, pulled, pushed and otherwise tested everything I can think of on the front end, had 2 different shops do likewise, and we can't narrow that dumb noise down.

The noise ONLY happens at the point there is a large transfer of weight side to side, again as happens when turning from a parking space etc... and at low speed like something coming unsettled...

What else on the front end could be causing this? I have gone over the rest of the bushings and everything looks good, tie rod ends look good, all the fasteners are tight / to torque spec and verified.

What on earth am I missing?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What did you torque the lower strut mounts to?

How are you checking the health of the lower A-Arm bushings? ( Uppers are new as part of the BJ R&R).

What about IWE's?

Just fartin' out ideas, is all ...

MGD

Originally Posted by dbhost
Okay so here's the poop. I have a noise in my front end. When just getting moving and turning, say backing out of a parking space, it is a fairly loud popping noise.

OEM shocks / coils and Autospring 2.5" level replaced with Rancho QL Loaded 2.5". (Should have just swapped OE sized RS9000s and kept the OE springs / Autospring, the Rancho coils stink...).

The sway bar end links didn't check out bad, but the sound seemed to be coming from around the sway bar ends when having someone outside the truck and testing...

I have nudged, tugged, pulled, pushed and otherwise tested everything I can think of on the front end, had 2 different shops do likewise, and we can't narrow that dumb noise down.

The noise ONLY happens at the point there is a large transfer of weight side to side, again as happens when turning from a parking space etc... and at low speed like something coming unsettled...

What else on the front end could be causing this? I have gone over the rest of the bushings and everything looks good, tie rod ends look good, all the fasteners are tight / to torque spec and verified.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
4wd? CV joints will pop when they are worn.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost

I had an issue like that once...

Do you change your own brake pads? Might be those. I put brand new calbers, pads, rotors all at once. The noise was the pad still touching the rotor. I wasn't sure if it was pad or failure by the brake caliber.... replaced the caliber and it was fixed.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever figure out this problem?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Nope. Yes I have put new brakes in it, pretty sure it's not the brakes, but you never know...

Haven't had the chance to get to it...

Old 12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by glc
4wd? CV joints will pop when they are worn.
Yeah, 4wd. I am familiar with CV joint noises, this doesn't sound like a popping CV joint, it's more, I dunno. Solid sounding. A popping CV sounds more like those popcorn popper noise maker toys babies play with... This is more like a quick rap on the frame with a hammer...

Steering is nice and tight, all the control arm bushings look good, there's no slop in the tie rods, ball joints are newish, struts are newish, verified torque where I can get a torque wrench to the fasteners (so upper control arm bolts no, but I did get wrenches on them and verified, they are plenty tight...).

Knowing my luck, it's probably a nut in the boxed frame somebody dropped in there when I had it on the lift as a prank...

Quick Reply: WTH is that front end noise?!