2004 - 2008 F-150

Replacing muffler with Y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing muffler with Y-pipe?

I want to make my truck louder but keep a crisp sound. I have a flowmaster 40 series single inlet dual outlet. Could I replace the muffler with a y-pipe? Would it sound any good?

Thanks!!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Sure, you can do that and it'll be even louder, likely to the point of being obnoxious ...
... and it'll be huge draw to any nearby LEOs looking to round out their weekly reports.

I say go for it!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 PM
its not that loud similar set up on mine nice going down the road sounds pretty good when ya give it some gas

Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by fsulaxer
its not that loud similar set up on mine nice going down the road sounds pretty good when ya give it some gas

Sweet, do you have any sound videos or anything so I could hear an example of it?? Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You're just going to **** off the neighbors and draw attention from cops. There's no reason to go around with no muffler on a road-driven vehicle. (really not many cases where it makes sense off-road either). It's obnoxiously loud and does nothing whatsoever for performance at stock levels of HP.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think having no muffler would get old quick, IMO. My brother had an old big block with dual exhaust with mufflers and still had cops trying to pull him over. Wouldn't give the popo more of a reason to try and meet their quota.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have a Flowmaster 40 and it isn't loud enough? I am guessing you like paying tickets to your local Police department...

Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't have any videos or sound clips but I am running a y pipe with no mufflers, these trucks are not that loud with the multiple cat/resonators or what ever you want to call them. We have yearly emmisions test here and never have been given a second look even with a cop sitting there.....

Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not that loud? Maybe for high school kid who wants to be as loud/obnoxious as possible, lol. The fact that you have annual emissions testing is irrelevant, as the muffler does not affect emissions, only noise. There are a lot of inspection stations that will overlook things, but that doesn't make the truck "not loud". I don't have a problem with an aggressive exhaust . . . but I do have a problem with open exhaust being fired up a 6am or hauling down the neighborhood street at night while I'm sleeping.

Sums it up nicely:
Replacing muffler with Y-pipe?-o5phgsf.jpg

Last edited by SoonerTruck; 09-06-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM
have you heard these trucks minus a muffler? Not loud at all....seriously they have an excess of restriction with the factory cats and resonators. the 04's anyway. now the 05 and up have a less restrictive set up and are a hell of a lot louder with no muffler. Its not as tho its a strait pipe set up, there are still cats on the truck. like I said I have had it for 6 years on mine, I pull a trailer very often and its not loud. at idle with this set up it is not far from what it was stock, under a load its got a nice tone to it. trust me, I have had exhaust on all my vehicles, I had a dodge with the 360 same set up but it was a ton louder, plenty of tickets at 16 not a single one in this truck

Last edited by fsulaxer; 09-07-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Yep, have heard them and all I can say is ..... you been lucky.

Maybe you drive some different now than when you were 16?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:34 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Maybe for high school kid who wants to be as loud/obnoxious as possible, lol.

Methinks you said it all right there, Sooner!

Originally Posted by tbear853

Maybe you drive some different now than when you were 16?
LMAO!!!

It seems like the yunguns in this thread don't respond much to the "haters" who have replied with sound advice. Imagine that! Lol!

Well, just add me to the list of "haters", I reckon. So, feel free to ignore this, too.

OP, I'm curious. How old ere ye? Didje hear the quarterback's Chebbie truck whut wuz louder'n your'n 'n it made ye jelly? I gar'n-damn-tee his hot li'l girlfriend whut all you boys covets didn't fall inta his arms jist because his truck is louder'n your'n.

So please, stop tryna keep up wif the Jones's. Break away from the herd o' pimple faced pukes. Don't be a sheep. Go again' the grain, etcetry, etcetry...

Here's whut the REAL cool kids does when faced with yer predicament o' bein' tard o' runnin' inferior exhaust components. Jerk 'at Fartmaster of'n ye truck 'n replace it wif either a Magnaflow Magnapack or a Borla S-type. If that ain't enough volume fer ye, yer teched. Best part, it's not only "loud", but it sounds great. What a corncept!

If'n that STILL ain't loud 'nuff fer ye, the addition of long-tube headers is sure to make both you AND ol' Biff's girlfriend moist in ye Abercrombie and Fitch nickers!

In short, spend a li'l extry money, 'n you'll have sumptin whut'll make ye proud, Biff jelly, and the gals damp, aight?

Good luck! Keep us posted with the progress!

Er in yer case,

Last edited by DewserB; 09-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

By the way yungun, here's ye a fine example o' the aforementioned setup:

Old 09-07-2014, 12:45 PM
SFM
Lawd!!!.. best answer I've heard for a yung'un in a mite fer peese..

Double panty droppin fer that there Borla feller.... Dem Roush boys shore make a fine lookin 'n soundin system.. I swere on Southern Ground by it Fo Sho!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by SFM
Lawd!!!.. best answer I've heard for a yung'un in a mite fer peese..

Double panty droppin fer that there Borla feller.... Dem Roush boys shore make a fine lookin 'n soundin system.. I swere on Southern Ground by it Fo Sho!

Hell fahr! I din't know they's ANNUDER connoisseur o' the "High Bubba" ammungus! Howdy thar, feller purveyor o' Hillbilly Elite speak!

Quick Reply: Replacing muffler with Y-pipe?