2004 - 2008 F-150

07 5.4 starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 5.4 starter issue

I've searched the forum prior to posting and can't seem to find this problem. My 07 5.4 is having starting issues following being caught in the flood last week in Macomb/Oakland Counties in Michigan. Water was up to the doors. Had to drive home and was in fairly deep water for the better part of about 5 hours. A few days later this started. I turn the key to start the truck, the relay in the kick panel on the passenger side clicks and the starter engages the flywheel but it doesn't crank. The normal auto-crank for a few seconds. If i turn the key and hold it in the start position manually for about 2 seconds, it will crank and start with no problems. Truck runs great otherwise. No water got into the airbox or any of that kinda stuff. I believe the solenoid on the starter was damaged or shorted. Just want to narrow it down before changing it as it's a PITA job to due thanks to the top bolt on the starter. I am thinking the solenoid has an "end switch" that doesn't activate or make on the initial turn and release of the key but slowly makes if the key is held forward feeding power to the solenoid. Anyone else have any feedback on this???
Any help would be great and possibly save me some time and money

Quick Reply: 07 5.4 starter issue