2004 - 2008 F-150

VCT Solenoids swapout

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VCT Solenoids swapout

I have a 2004 with a 5.4L 3v and have been reading about the updated vct solenoids. My engine has 163k on it and has the original solenoids in it.

Should I change them out if I am not experiencing any problems?

In other words, should I change them out with the updated "B" versions as a preventive measure?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it aint broke dont fix it.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Anyone else have a opinion on this?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 PM
As far as I know, the cam phaser is what got the updated design and not the solenoid. When the phaser breaks, it makes the engine sound like a diesel.

I changed both of my original phasers out over a weekend, however they were really noisy after about 70,000 miles. It's still on the original VCT solenoids though, I just tripped 167,000 miles today.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by effects4
As far as I know, the cam phaser is what got the updated design and not the solenoid. When the phaser breaks, it makes the engine sound like a diesel.

I changed both of my original phasers out over a weekend, however they were really noisy after about 70,000 miles. It's still on the original VCT solenoids though, I just tripped 167,000 miles today.
My 04 5.4L seems to be running ok with 164k on it, but I continue to read of timing chain guides shattering, cam phasers failing, cam follower rollers failing, lifters failing, etc. So with all that, I am trying to figure out what preventive measures I can take to ward off a catastrophic engine event, be it I do the work or have a certified mechanic do the work.

I saw a thread where someone swapped out the "A" version with the "B" version of the solenoids and saw where there were physical differences in the parts and was wondering from a proactive view if it would be one of the measures I could take to improve my chances of not having to deal with a complete engine failure. I know from reading some of the threads in these F150 forums that some of these 5.4's are failing way before they should be. Who really knows how many, as I'm sure lots of owners don't post in these forums when they have problems. Of course I know there are a lot of variables concerning preventive maintenance habits, and driving habits that lead to engine failure.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM
I would probably change them. While you have the motor open I would do timing components as well. Most F150s stock tensioners begin to leak oil into the timing cover and the guides usually break apart and go into the oil which then cycles through the motor and clogs the VCT solenoids which usually drops down the oil pressure significanlty and the cam phasers begin to break. From that being said too usually the timing chains stretch or become very loose which is why when some start up their truck they hear a loud rattling which is the chains hitting the timing cover

Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM
if you are going to open it, I'd go ahead and update both of the phasers then. I changed the remaining timing components on my truck this summer.....guides, chains, sprockets, tensioners etc.

Quick Reply: VCT Solenoids swapout