2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 5.4L 3v F150 - rough idle and stall once warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good... ya it certainly seems like a fuel delivery issue. I tried spraying cleaner around places I thought could be causing a vacuum leak but the engine didn't budge so I either wasn't spraying where a leak is or there isn't one.. I'll get under the truck this weekend and check that FPDM. It's a pretty cheap part from geek auto..

Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your on the right track of figuring it out. It sucks working on a newer vehicle. Hope you get it figured out and keep us updated.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by 05FordGuyFX4
Sounds like your on the right track of figuring it out. It sucks working on a newer vehicle. Hope you get it figured out and keep us updated.
I hear ya.. I miss my '84 1/2 5.0L Capri! lol.. my vehicle before this F150 was an '06 G35 Coupe.. you wanna talk about tight engine bay and almost impossible to get under? Difference between these two vehicles is I never had any real problems with the G35.. and it pulled a high 13 1/4 mile although I couldn't really do much else with it but go fast and look good

Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia1efc0v3h2goxv/IMG_4590.JPG

Ok guys.. so.. I got creative with my halloween smoke machine and jimmy'd it up to the throttle body and closed up all the gaps so the smoke wouldn't leak and sure as hell.. smoke starts pouring out from back behind the intake manifold..

I start feeling around and pulling at the IWE vacuum lines which run back there and they seemed really loose.. and whaddaya know.. the photo shows the big vacuum line completely unplugged.. so that's my vacuum leak I assume??

Ok.. next question is.. where the heck does this thing plug into on the intake manifold and how do I get to it? My brother and I considered that the intake has to be removed to get this done but I don't know.. does anyone have photos of where this line plugs into and is there any way to do this without removing the entire intake?

I have gaskets ready to go if that's my only option.

List of things I did to find this.. stupid and simple leak..

1. Tested/Cleaned MAF - no change
2. Swapped out FPDM with new one - no change
3. Pulled suspect Cylinder 8 plug - totally destroyed the plug in the process - no change
4. Replaced both actuators - both shot to hell - AND - this all started happening when the actuators began to act up.. so I should have just started with the vacuum lines in the first place.. duh..

Anyways.. this could be the end of this saga.. any directions/photos/diy input from the group would be fantastic!

Thanks again for the input everyone. Muchly appreciated.
Ty

Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 PM
double post

Last edited by tsevrens; 03-01-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: want to delete the post.... ?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm trying to post the Dropbox image location but it doesn't seem to be working..

This is where it's at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia1efc0v3h2goxv/IMG_4590.JPG

Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well look at this way, yea you lost time and some money but you might have stopped future issues from those things you checked or replaced. Which the fpdm is a common issue and is a good idea to clean the maf and throttle body. I have no clue where that came disconnected from I no longer have a 5.4 or I would go look for ya. Maybe someone will chime in.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 PM
True enough. I have a telescopic camera handy and was poking around between the manifold and the firewall but I can't seem to locate where this line should be plugged in.. I've seen a crude diagram of the IWE system but it hardly touches on what I need to know.

If I had a sharp diagram of the rear of one of these motors - specifically the intake manifold - I would know where it's supposed to hook up to. Right now I don't even know where to look. The most I can say is someone suggested it's toward the passenger side of the truck. Not super helpful.

If anyone has a diagram or picture of what I need it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know. Fire me an email or whatever with the diagram.. or just give me some solid direction on where to direct my camera.

I'm happy about the minimal $ I've had to spend so far. i was expecting a lot more!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Actually - I think I've found what I'm looking for... this post on another forum has a photo of where this vacuum line hooks up.. bright photo of an intake removed.. perfect!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...any-ideas.html

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Does this happen to you tsevrens after it warms u[p and only when you are slowing down? I have a horrible issue when my truck warms and up is at idle, but runs great going down the highway, but as soon as I let off the gas and it is slowing down it will stall and sound horrible! Very horrible! I take it you still have not figured anything out from what I have read?

Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Please delete

Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Roundtrip
Does this happen to you tsevrens after it warms u[p and only when you are slowing down? I have a horrible issue when my truck warms and up is at idle, but runs great going down the highway, but as soon as I let off the gas and it is slowing down it will stall and sound horrible! Very horrible! I take it you still have not figured anything out from what I have read?
Very similar issue yes. Stalls out almost every time when coming to a stop. Only happens when the truck gets warmed up.

My issue is pretty obvious - the vacuum line from the IWE going to the intake manifold has come completely off. I was able to locate the vacuum inlet with my telescopic camera and position the vacuum line at least 'on top of' the inlet but because of the location (in between manifold and firewall and quite low down).. I can't get enough pressure with my fingers to push it all the way on.

Going to try some soap tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Please delete
Sorry about the double post. I wasn't sure how to delete it.

Anyways.. seems like I've discovered the source of the trouble and again appreciate everyone's help and guidance on this.

Great resource!!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 PM
So that is on the back of the engine inbetween the firewall, I will look into that tomorrow, So can I reach this with my hands I take it with taking nothing off? when I have some light, and you say a certain type of camera, so I take it I can not get on my back and see this most likely huh, I wonder why it came disconnected, ALSO I am wondering, What exactly does that tube do? And takes it make any type of weird noise when yours starts stalling? I noticed you said you had a video but I never heard anything like you stated, did you ever get one?

One more thing, I notice mine starts doing it more often if I put mine in reverse, thats usually when it happens or is worse than normal.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Ya for starters.. I have a handheld telescopic camera.. with an LED light on it. Helps when looking in hard to see spots. You won't be able to get under the truck to see this - no. This is a difficult thing to find without doing what I did OR taking the intake manifold completely off and re-attaching the vacuum hose.

That being said - that might not be your issue.

Are you hearing a grinding sound from the front end? If so then try to put the truck into 4H - does the sound go away? If so then you've got something up with the IWE solenoid, a vacuum leak somewhere along the IWE vacuum lines OR your Actuators at the hubs aren't holding a vacuum.

My IWE actuators were both toast - I used my handheld pressure pump/guage to connect both driver/passenger actuators to test for vacuum leaks. Both were hosed and beyond repair so I replaced them both. I believe there's a good DIY on this forum for it - it took me about 2 ours in total to replace them both. Just don't kill yourself when trying to take the actuators apart.. lots of pressure on the control arms etc.. other guys are more experienced in describing this type of work and like I said.. there's a post here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...replacing.html

If you've tested what I suggested (put it in 4H) and the grinding noise goes away then you can rest assured there's something up with the IWE system.

I also replaced the IWE solenoid - the original part is prone to damage from moisture and the re-engineered solenoid comes with a water shield which should prevent failure.

I've done a lot to figure out this problem - everyone was suggesting fuel delivery issues and while I tried to track all of those down to no avail.. I really feel stupid because I mentioned when this started happening but I failed to mention that the actuator grinding issue started exactly at the same time.. had I used half my brain I would have just tracked down the vacuum leak while I had the truck apart changing the actuators. I would have saved a lot of time and worry on my part.. and a lot of $$ wasted.

Let me know what you find on your truck and if that little test works..

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4L 3v F150 - rough idle and stall once warm