2004 - 2008 F-150

taking it to the stealership today

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
taking it to the stealership today

well I am going in for my free oil change today. while its there im having them look for this ****** miss ive been chasing for a year or so. it does it often enough that there should be something in the background of the computer. never once has the CEL came on and ive done all the parts swapping im going to do. I had the plugs done, all 8 cops, cleaned maf, throttle body, air filter and fuel filter. when I set it up I told them all I want is any codes they can find, but im guessing they'll have a whole list of crap I "need". my first trip to the brand new, like 2 months old, state of the art dealership. gotta pay for that sucker somehow!

is it bad that im already seeing the glass as half empty???

Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pleased with my one and only Ford dealership oil change experience 3 weeks ago. Much better than I was expecting and they didn't tell me I "needed" anything like I thought they would.

Same dealership did try to sell me a truck with unreported accident/ frame damage though . . .

Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM
If you need to call your local Dealership a Stealership you need to try another. I have always a had a great relationship with mine.

They have always taken great care of me in every department.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pethel
If you need to call your local Dealership a Stealership you need to try another. I have always a had a great relationship with mine.

Agreed....

Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I agree as well. But there aren't really any other options in the area.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
CEL wont come on but it will have pending codes for misfire

Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pethel

x2. I walk in and a few know me by name, i've got fair deals and never felt robbed. They have been able to diagnose issues that the hourly mechanic I seldom go to could not, and have got the job done faster too without getting in my truck all filthy disrespectfully. Sure it costs some more as dealer mark up has a middle man too, but in most cases, no one would be better to take your vehicle to for set prices and a guaranteed job. I even take my Chevy car to my local Ford dealer for repairs.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Oh, its getting good. Not sure why I even wasted my time.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:55 AM

SUBBED!!! I'm interested to see how your experience with your dealership went. I've had the best of luck with the dealerships back home in Las Vegas, NV. However, this one here in Fayetteville, NC, is about to see some legal action from me.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM
ok, here it is.
little back story, my father has worked in a dealership body shop for over 40 years, I went to a community college 2 year program to get an automotive technology degree (did not get the degree because of math and couple business classes), worked in the parts department of the same dealer as the old man for 2 years, for the last 12 years ive been doing commercial heating and refrigeration service. im no automotive mechanic, but what I work on now is complicated, im a different kind of mechanic.

last Thursday I called to make an appointment for Monday since I was off, they offered the next day, Friday, but I had to work, so monday at 10 it is. I arrived monday at 10, and they were upset and condescending because I no showed Friday. I explained that I needed my oil changed and wanted them to look in the computer for codes in the level 5 or 7 data (same request I made when I made the apt), I asked that they not check anything else as I already had, simply look for codes. they informed me that there were no codes in the computer without a CEL, I asked that they check anyway. asked that they please not spend more than an hour diagnosing, but call if they do find anything while its in the bay. (if its an easy fix I would just have them do it since its cold and my time is limited with the holidays)
with no ride offered I called and had my dad come get me, and went off to do some Christmas shopping. during my day out I drove by several times and it just sat there all day. at about 330 it was still sitting there so I called to let them know I was coming to get it soon, I had to pick my daughter up from school by 5. had my dad run me back, got there right at 4 and youd never guess, it was up on a lift. so we did a little looking around the new place, talked to the general manager, went to school with his daughter, and waited for them to finish. while I was sitting in the waiting area this tech came through with a COP in her hand looking for the advisor. he came to me and said "there are no codes in the computer like i said there wouldn't be" but this connector on this coil is broke off........weird. I said just put it back on and let me know what cylinder since I have 8 laying in the garage.
so they got it together and pulled it around, he let me know it was cylinder #3, I thanked him and wished everyone a merry Christmas. oil change was free and they only charger 30 minutes to look at it, 55 bucks.
got my daughter and went home and popped the hood to look at the COP, it was still running fine, but I will change it today. but wait?!?! #3 looks fine, connector isn't dangling like it was at the shop. kept looking and found the connector broke on #6, ya know, the 3rd one back on the passenger side.

so this is why I refer to it as the stealership.
we got this stuff at work called "does it all" its supposed to do it all including lubricate electrical connections. the week after thanksgiving I unplugged and lubbed all 8 connections on the coils. and they were all fine then. I am not saying they broke it, im saying it wasn't broke then. none of the other coils look touched by the looks of the dirt.
as I said earlier I know the general manager, well in fact, and cant decide weather to bring this up to him. I personally am done with them myself however the 70 year old man or woman who they are treating like this is being taken advantage of.

i appreciate any input anyone has on this, i have tried on multiple occasions to give them the benefit of the doubt but unfortunately i can no longer do it. i like to do my own work but with the lack of time i have its hard. i have a very good friend who runs a shop and they do what i cant, as i request, i appreciate what they do, and they appreciate the work. if they only had a better scanner!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds a bit like a case of idiot technician. They are Ford trained in aspects but most of them are quick hires cause the right stuff was on paper.

I do have a mildly similar story, but its more about labor fee and price mark up. When my truck was in last couple weeks for my ball joints and tire/align/inspection, they said the FL wheel bearing needs replaced. They had the part for $340 and $100 installed. I saw a Youtube video of replacing the wheel bearing and glad I did. 20 minute do it yourself job for replacing the hub assembly. $100 installed??? And I used a Moog wheel bearing which was $145.00 of Summit Racing with free shipping. So I saved almost $300.00 doing it by myself. I understand cost and fee mark up but damn, I need to eat too .

I agree with doing my own maintenance. I do as much of it as possible.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Sounds a bit like a case of idiot technician. They are Ford trained in aspects but most of them are quick hires cause the right stuff was on paper.

I do have a mildly similar story, but its more about labor fee and price mark up. When my truck was in last couple weeks for my ball joints and tire/align/inspection, they said the FL wheel bearing needs replaced. They had the part for $340 and $100 installed. I saw a Youtube video of replacing the wheel bearing and glad I did. 20 minute do it yourself job for replacing the hub assembly. $100 installed??? And I used a Moog wheel bearing which was $145.00 of Summit Racing with free shipping. So I saved almost $300.00 doing it by myself. I understand cost and fee mark up but damn, I need to eat too .

I agree with doing my own maintenance. I do as much of it as possible.
Your smart for doing it yourself & saving lots of green!

Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but the 3rd one back on the passenger side is in fact #3.........

And you call THEM a stealership?

Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Well oil changes are $50, so I see it as $5 for them looking at it and/or breaking that COP.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I hate to tell you this, but the 3rd one back on the passenger side is in fact #3.........

And you call THEM a stealership?
Well I stand corrected, wonder why ford did that? If I had ever got a code for a specific cylinder i would've gone about it all wrong.

Really though, anyone know the reason they changed it from how engines have always been numbered?

Quick Reply: taking it to the stealership today