2004 - 2008 F-150

Paint issues! Will it stop...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paint issues! Will it stop...

So I spent most of the week diagnosing a broken wire in the FPDM harness, found it, and was washing my truck last night, I ALWAYS wash the cab, but hadn't washed it in a few weeks.

When I got in the bed to hose it down and sponge it clean, I noticed paint flaking off the cab. Literally, it was just blowing away. It's already rusting; it’s flaking down to the metal.

After some research, I found a lemon law website where Ford has been having issues because of the aluminum.

Anyone had an issue like this?

How did you get Ford to fix it?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I doubt it will stop, but you can help prevent it by using some touch-up paint on the bare areas. I also doubt you can get Ford to fix it on a 7 year old truck.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna try, but I'm sure you're right!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate hearing about rust. Makes me cringe, I hope mine don't get like that. Although with time i'm sure it will. Theres another thread about this issue someone else was trying to find cab corners.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by izzy_mustang
So I spent most of the week diagnosing a broken wire in the FPDM harness, found it, and was washing my truck last night, I ALWAYS wash the cab, but hadn't washed it in a few weeks.

When I got in the bed to hose it down and sponge it clean, I noticed paint flaking off the cab. Literally, it was just blowing away. It's already rusting; it’s flaking down to the metal.

After some research, I found a lemon law website where Ford has been having issues because of the aluminum.

Anyone had an issue like this?

How did you get Ford to fix it?
Izzy, believe the only place you're gonna find aluminum is the hood. If the cab is flaking that's all gonna be steel. If the hood is flaking, it may corrode but it's not gonna rust. You may have zink coating on the steel, which may look kinda like aluminum, but it's "counterfeit" (kinda like our politicians).

Last edited by code58; 04-18-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by code58
Izzy, believe the only place you're gonna find aluminum is the hood. If the cab is flaking that's all gonna be steal. If the hood is flaking, it may corrode but it's not gonna rust. You may have zink coating on the steel, which may look kinda like aluminum, but it's "counterfeit" (kinda like our politicians).
I hope you're right, if so, the reapir won't be nearly is difficult, and worriesome after the fact.....

Politicians! You are correct on that, sir!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:31 AM
My cab is flaking off also! I have spots the size of quarters where the paint is just chipping and flaking off. Truck has 15k miles on it (2007) and is garage kept 75% of the time. I thought it might be hail damage, but it has never been in hail and there are no dents.

Truck is going to the dealer because it is still under warranty.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
My '05 is doing the same thing on the A pillars and roof. I'm not to worried about rust where I live but it is kinda aggravating to have that happen on a really low mileage truck.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I feel your pain, have an 08 SCREW FX4 with 37000 miles and the painted bumpers are both rusting. Took the truck to the dealer and was told the corrosion warranty would not apply to the vehicle as it was not perforation.
They quoted me $350 to paint them on the truck with no warranty for corrosion returning.

I took the truck to a quality body shop, the removed the bumpers and had them soda blasted, and painted them with epoxy primer and paint. They also gave me a lifetime warranty against corrosion. Cost me $400 and the truck looks like new. It was clearly a paint adhesion problem with the factory paint, it was peeling off in strips.

I was told by three different dealers Ford would not cover the repair and that they no longer had factory reps that you could talk to.

Whatever. If that's the way they stand behind their products it may cost them a sale next time.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
If we all get together, we can fix this....I'll get on the Media site and see what i can find, and we'll all start calling.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allcarfan
My cab is flaking off also! I have spots the size of quarters where the paint is just chipping and flaking off. Truck has 15k miles on it (2007) and is garage kept 75% of the time. I thought it might be hail damage, but it has never been in hail and there are no dents.

Truck is going to the dealer because it is still under warranty.
Back when i had a Taurus a couple years ago, it had spots of rust just like yours where the paint was chipping off. What happened to that car was the previous owner was sitting at a red light. A car came flying next to them and hit a telephone pole and the transformer blew. Sparks came showering down on top of the car eating away at the paint. Im not saying this happened to you, but i just thought i would share.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '02 explorer with the paint issues common to that model year and color. The paint flaked off from the aluminum hood and front fenders - Ford will not cover and it is a known problem with primer/paint adhesion. It is a big deal to have repainted and Ford has a tsb out about how the shops are to fix. Some type of contaminate was discovered during production - long story. That being said, the corrosion warr. by for is for rust through, and I have never had any success getting a paint job through the warranty, and just about every auto I've owned longer than 3-4 years has rusted (ah yes, living in the rust belt). I will say the newer models take longer in most circumstances to begin rusting. No matter what I've tried (undercarriage wash, wash road salt off in a timely fashion, etc) have failed to keep it from rusting. My bro had a new Tempo back in the day, took it to the car wash and sheets of silver paint were flying everywhere. Ford did repaint that car 2x and he got rid of it. You could sand, prime and spot paint to slow it down.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
My 05 is doing same thing..Below back window, about ten inch strip just flaked and blew away..Truck is silver BTW

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
If Ford knew about this, maybe we should contact an attorney general.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Ford and GM have had issues for as long as I can remember. I used to be a painter (been out of the trade since 98). We did work for a local Lincoln Mercury dealer back in the 90's. I wish I had a nickel for every Ford peeler!

My 05 is peeling on the inside of the tailgate. Unfortunately I have beat the heck out of the inside of the bed. I wish I would have Lixe-X'd the bed when it was new. Hindsight is always 20/20!

Regards!

Quick Reply: Paint issues! Will it stop...