2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission thermal bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
See my reply in the other thread you resurrected.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I guess you never got back home.

Does anyone have a workshop manual handy? How do you remove the unit? I am considering removing the unit, then just bridging the cooling and return lines, so that the cooler isn't bypassed at all. Haynes Manual doesn't have a page on removing the unit.
Wow, this has been awhile!! I mean its extremely simple to remove and even take apart. Once you remove the retaining clip at the bottom, remove the components inside...it's that easy. Flip the brass piece end for end and insert it back in first; it will fit perfect. Then grind a little off the other rod that originally fit inside the brass piece when it sat in its original position. Grind a little at a time and keep test fitting, if you grind too much, you'll be buying another bypass assembly. Once it fits snug install the retaining clip and your done.

I did this when my truck had 38,000 miles on it and am still driving the truck to date with 118,283 miles. I've had zero issues with my transmission to date, so I would say it works just fine. If I remember correctly, and its been awhile since I've hooked up hptuners for anything other recalibrating my speedo, my trans temps never got above 185 to 190 degrees even in the blistering heat down here.

I originally was going to use fittings and/or hoses to bypass but doing it this way is free and guaranteed never to leak. I do apologize for never getting back with the pictures lol, I did this during a move when I was still active duty Army.

Last edited by Kevin01Z28; 01-28-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission thermal bypass valve