2004 - 2008 F-150

Finally - good pics and new mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my tailgate marker today, what'd you use to break or cut the tabs off with? and did you put more 3M tape where the tabs were broken off at? thanks

Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 PM

I cut the tabs off with gardening shears I think, that with the Dremel and then sanded down the entire "bumped" region with a grinding wheel and Dremel so that it sat closer to flush. I did use Scotch 3M outdoor heavy duty mounting adhesive tape in either 5 or 10 lb. hold. Jeez that's a mouthful!

Also, seeing yet another member PTM them, I'm gonna spray PD inside one of the emblems and see how I like that!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 PM
thanks! ya i like the white center that AZ did with his....but i like the color combo i got going on my truck ATM

Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM

AZ is exactly who I was talking about! And I just saw that he used PD, so even more of a reason for me to.

I did the mirrors last night and just did the second coat of clear. One more and they'll be done. The color match is much better than I anticipated too. The wind changed direction on me like 3 times, so there's overspray all over my whole front end . . . good thing it comes off pretty easy when you rub it!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 PM
sweet, cant wait to see mang!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 PM

As promised!

The 2nd picture is my driver side mirror, which I intentionally taped off poorly to test how well the PD would peel away. The passenger side I taped properly, but both sides yielded crisp edges once the excess was peeled. The pictures make it look a tad better than it really looks, but the color is pretty darn close for a random shade of white paint. Gotta love that "work truck"/Oxford white! It's 5 coats of Plastidip and 3 coats of PD clear coat, called "glossifier." It's very easy to remove, even with the clear on it. I actually would've added about 3 more layers of the white because I feather coated it and when you're up close it appears like it may be a tad thin, but it could just be an illusion. Overall, I'm extremely pleased!

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Heck ya! Lets hope the weather clears up better for dem bumpers

Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM

I'm not looking forward to removing my bull bar . . . haha

Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 PM

PTM'd my tailgate badge with white plastidip and clear coat. Did only the tailgate because it was easiest to remove, the fenders are going to be harder because they sit completely flush, where as the tailgate is raised due to my tailgate's lack of the groove for the emblem to sit in. I love it and think it looks much cleaner for the look I'm trying to get. The red is just a little too flashy for me.

I'm going to be order some color-matched paint from automotivetouchup.com to redo the tailgate and do the fenders, as well as my door handles (potentially). The match looks good, I'm just very picky and want it matched exactly.

Before:

After:

Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Since you've been showing my thread so much love I thought i'd throw some your way. haha

How are you like the led pods? I'm considering getting some and putting them in the gap on the bumper where my licenses plate is. What company did you order from? How much did 4 run you with wiring?

Those new emblems look super clean, especially PTM. thats been on my list for a while just can't ever seem to pull the gun on them when i have the cash. Now all you gotta do is PTM those blue ovals and you'll be all good

Old 12-02-2013, 12:53 AM

Thanks man! I'm actually finishing painting the red parts of all the badges with color-matched paint as we speak! I'll have pics up tomorrow. They look killer, but I've got close to $160 in them with the paint . . . Way too much for plastic bits. I'm gonna be sure to get either black or white ovals soon! Those and white-painted bumpers and door handles, then I'll be all black and white.

The lights I actually got for free because I took them off of a trade-in at the dealership I work for. I love them and they're brighter than I expected and I use them any time I'm out in the country and need some more light. But the previous owner told me he got them from eBay for $100 per pair. I tested them and they're 35w, so me and another member who buys a lot of LED lighting were able to narrow them down on eBay to the right ones if you want to know. A few people have actually stuffed a light bar into that spot, though us 06+ guys have to cut off the ends of the frame horns to stuff it in there. It's a really neat thing to check out though. ibf150 has pics of his buddy's white truck with a bar in there in his build thread. Wiring from eBay, recommended by the same LED-buying member here, was $20 shipped and I couldn't even make my own kit for that little!

Your truck has come such a long way and so quickly! Lookin' good.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 12-02-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 PM
i think white with black lettering would go great! That is quite a lot of money just for 3 emblems hahah. You'll be a stormtrooper!!

Now thats a deal lol! i've been looking at Digi diodes for LEDs they're super cheap compared to rigid and other brands. 90$ for a pair of pods and 15$ for wiring! i can't decide between spots or floods though. Can you do one or the other and put up some pictures of each so i can narrow my decision?

Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 AM

It's way too much money for them lol. They look so sick though and the paint is a great match. I'll have to get pics tomorrow, was too busy today.

I can only do all four at once because of how they're wired, unfortunately. I have no idea what I'd go with if I had to pick one of the other. Oooh! I'll see if I can just cover two up at a time, that should work.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Pics!

I've eliminated all non-black or white pieces other than my bumpers, tail lights, and Ford emblems. The tail lights are going to stay red, but PTM bumpers, handles, and black or white emblems are hopefully coming soon. The chrome bumpers are actually growing on me though and I'm reluctant to give up my bumpers that are in 100% perfect condition for some that maybe are not . . .

I wanted new style bed decals for my 2wd, and I bought FX4 badges without thinking about it and wanted them to match, so this is what happened! Horribly tacky to put 4wd decals on a 2wd, I agree, but aesthetically, they're great. Still may get some FX2 ones anyway cause they're only $25. It was either FX2 and FX4 things on one vehicle or "lying" about having 4wd, so I chose matching

*edit:I forgot to mention that the white is paint that's code-matched paint from automotivetouchup.com and matches bang on perfect! I plastidip'd the tailgate one earlier, then decided I wanted em to match exactly. I sanded the rough inserts smooth prior to paint too. They're primered, coated, cleared, and semi-buffed.

Credit given to BLACKOUT FX4 (and azmidget)

Last edited by KMAC0694; 12-03-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. I like the white with black. Had the same idea with my truck till I stopped putting money into it.

Quick Reply: Finally - good pics and new mods