F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   2wd Front Bearings (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/487705-2wd-front-bearings.html)

RowdyAcres 06-17-2013 11:00 AM

2wd Front Bearings

I have replaced the Bearing Hubs and Rotors on my 2005 F150 2wd about two years ago. Earlier this year I had to replace the driver side because all the grease came out of the bearings (was all over the outside of the hub). Now a few months later it is starting to hum again, not sure if it is the same side or not. I still have the hub I took off, and want to replace the bearings in the hub, but I don't know how to get them out, and can't find anything on the web.

Does anyone know how to get these bearings out?

Thanks....

SoonerTruck 06-17-2013 11:40 AM

Bearing puller? Slide hammer?

RowdyAcres 06-17-2013 11:48 AM

I have access to a large 20+ ton press at work, but want to make sure that they press out the back and there are no lock rings or snap rings that I am not seeing. Then when I think that they would press out the back, what keeps the hub from just sliding off the bearings? Really hate this design.

ManualF150 06-17-2013 01:01 PM

Next brake job you should get 4wd rotors and get the Centric hub conversion kit. This will eliminate the old-school 1 piece rotor assembly entirely and turn it into a normal 2 piece assembly.

RowdyAcres 06-17-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 4996167)
Next brake job you should get 4wd rotors and get the Centric hub conversion kit. This will eliminate the old-school 1 piece rotor assembly entirely and turn it into a normal 2 piece assembly.

I installed the two piece design from www.BrakePerformance.com I just want to know how to get the bearings out of the hub, that way I can have a spare hub with good bearings. This way I only have to buy bearings rather than the hubs and then have the hubs shipped, which are fairly heavy.

lenore 01-10-2019 07:24 PM

I have had 4 failures of the Centric kit. The bearings are cheap Chinese and leak after awhile. I used new nuts all times, and torqued to 295 ft. lbs. Back to original equipment.....

Fifty150 01-11-2019 02:28 AM

Thanks Lenore. Sorry you had to go through so many sets to find out. I'm guessing that you are not the only one. Just the only one to speak up. I replaced the OEM brakes with a PowerStop kit (rotors & pads). Drilled & slotted. Excellent stopping. I can't recall exactly how long I had them before failure. At least 5 years, and at least 50,000 miles. But those numbers mean nothing. Stop & go driving wears brakes more than freeway driving. Failure was also in the bearings. The rotor & pads were still great. My initial assessment was that my lift kit w/ larger wheels & tires must be adding stress to wear components like brakes, rotors, and the bearings inside. Now I'm beginning to think that the bearings are the weak point in stock applications also.

Anyone with suggestions on rotors which the bearings did not wear out?

lenore 01-11-2019 11:27 AM

By the way the bearings in the Hubs that I removed were extremely loose. Even the side that was not growling. Don't kill me but I purchased Nakamoto one piece hub and disk on Ebay. Time will tell, the one good thing is I noticed the bearing had a e-ring retainer holding the bearing, so maybe I can replace just the bearing if it fails. Man, the Chinese are just killing us with garbage parts.

SoonerTruck 01-11-2019 03:42 PM

I've got the Centric 2WD-to-4WD brake conversion kit on mine. Been running it for probably 60K miles with no issues, while running heavier tires (LT285/60/18 Terra Grapps).