2004 - 2008 F-150

Installing Cam Phaser lockouts need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a very reliable vehicle with 123k on the odo. Replaced plugs, VCT's timing chains 2x, tensioners 1x, and camphasers 1x. Really hasn't been too bad. I like my truck too much to get something else.

Honestly all the parts and labor have been very cheap. Got tons of discounts and with doing alot of trolling online for the best price on parts really cuts the cost down. I have a good friend who is a Ford Master Tech really helps out with labor costs. But the expense on all this really is normal maintenance items for daily driver, and tow rig. Got a crappy timing guide last go round. This time should last me at the least 50-60k before having another big ticket item to repair. I see this truck being around for a long time. Hopefully I will have a new daily driver with lights and sirens in the year!

Last edited by #52; 03-18-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by #52
Camphasers finally broke. Timing chain guides broke, so my repair lasted about 8 months. This time cam phasers getting replaced, along with all the timing components. Lock outs are already installed in my new camphasers. Should have the truck back to running smooth wednesday. Maybe this time I will get more than 8 months out of the guides.
Hey wanted to ask you about the lockouts. I've got the notorious knocking going on and it's getting worse every week now. I've decided to go with the Livernois lockout kit. Is that the one you used?

Also.. you said your phasers finally broke.. was that just the guides breaking or did the chain(s) break as well?

Do you recommend I also replace the VCTs at the same time.. I guess it isn't an absolute must do but figured I would ask.

Thanks!
Ty

Old 06-28-2014, 11:16 PM
The phasers, timing chain guides were shot. I was having wicked chain slap. Had everything pulled a part and installed the lockouts. I had a mail order tune from 5star tuning. Turned out well, However low end grunt is gone, and it went down on power, noticeably. I would like to remove them and install my old tune. Which ever way you go it's a roll of the dice!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by #52
The phasers, timing chain guides were shot. I was having wicked chain slap. Had everything pulled a part and installed the lockouts. I had a mail order tune from 5star tuning. Turned out well, However low end grunt is gone, and it went down on power, noticeably. I would like to remove them and install my old tune. Which ever way you go it's a roll of the dice!
Thanks for the feedback. I hope I don't get to the point where I'm replacing the chains ugh..

Ok so here's a question perhaps you can answer.. the issue with these phasers is really the lack of oil pressure. Needs to be 18lbs I've been told but usually only about 16 is being generated. I could be wrong here but anyways.. the question I have is.. how do we resolve the oil pressure issue to prevent this problem?

Is there a fix for that?

I've been talking with the BBR and Livernois guys and they offer kits to fix the noise problem but nobody's mentioned a fix for the oil pressure issue.

Thanks!
Ty

Quick Reply: Installing Cam Phaser lockouts need some input.