2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 f150 xlt rear end rebuld

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 f150 xlt rear end rebuld

hi, everyone

I purchased an 05' f150 recently for a 'real good price' and now obviosly things arent going so well. When i bought the truck the previous owner advised me that there was a slight knock in the rear end and its most likely the rear u-joint. As im no mechanic i believed him and decided that the $25 u joint is gonna be an easy fix. So i bought a new u-joint and tore the rear end down taking out the driveshaft and diff cover off. The stock u-joint was in perfect condition what a surprise but i cant say the same about the diff and the ring and pinion gear. There was excessive wear on the bearings and quite a bit of backlash in the ring gear. At that point i had not looked much into it so i cleaned everything put the whole thing back together and filled it up with oil.
My local ford dealer advised me that i have a ls diff and sold me the friction modifier, i later found out that thats a load of bull so now my rear end is knocking like there is no tomorrow and im looking at a complete rear end rebuild. I was quoted a price of about $3500 for the job so i decided to do it myself.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Friction modifier doesn't hurt a non-LS rear. You simply bought a truck with a rear end on its way out.

Why don't you go to the boneyard and get a whole rear axle? That's gotta be a hell of a lot cheaper than any other way, and easier to change. There's a lot of precision work involved with rebuilding a diff.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Now down to business. I did a whole bunch of reading on the project at hand and this is what i found out and purchased.

my stock rear end is a 9.75"
gear ratio of 3.55
the diff is an open carrier type

I called the people at west coast differentials the web site is www.differentials.com
and ordered myself a 3.55 ring and pinion gear from us gear a detroit true track defferential and the master install kit which includes all bearings seals shims and races needed for a total of $ 1040 I also bought the machinist dial for measuring backlash a seal and race driver set and a bearing separator kit. I managed to get my hands on the ford shop repair manual for all ford vehicles made in 05' and 06' this is what the mechanics in the dealership use to do the job dont ask me how lol.
As i start the project now i will post pictures and diagrams of the work being done hoping to shine some light on the grey areas of this type of work any input from u guys would be helpfull and i can post diagrams and troubleshooting guides from the ford manual if anyone needs them as they are doing a similar job.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I called a couple of places but i was offered prices in the $1000 dollar range and those rear ends had about 150 000 km on them so i figured this is a better option

Old 10-27-2012, 01:23 PM
here is a diagram of my rear end

Name:  diff_assembly_2.jpg
Views: 4703
Size:  147.8 KB

Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM
does anyone know if switching from an open end diff to a limited slip will cause problems during installation. I was assured by the manufacturer that its a perfect fit and direct bolt up and i wont have to do any kind of modifications

Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

I would have took GLCs advice.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ X2, especially as you said "I'm no mechanic"....I dare say you will get in 'over your head' in a hurry here. If you do succeed you will love the Tru-Trac unit..it's more that just a ls unit. Word of caution with the tru-trac..ONLY use dino 80-90 gear lube in it, NOT ANYTHING SYNTHETIC !!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I was advised about the oil type by the people at west coast differentials i just ordered new rotors and pads for the back and the front and im waiting to get them delivered than i can start since i have to take the rotors off anyways to pull out the axles. I gotta say im pretty excited yea its not gonna be easy but hey im up for the challenge. My boss got his rear end rebuilt 3 time over the last 2 months by the dodge dealership he drives a ram 3500 pretty weak id say but anyways the mechanics there are soooo good they messed it up everytime i kind of wanna see if i can do better its not rocket science its a rear end

Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey sam are u running a true trac in ure truck i would like to hear some feedback on the performance of that diff and thanx for the advice on the oil

Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by peterule
Hey sam are u running a true trac in ure truck i would like to hear some feedback on the performance of that diff and thanx for the advice on the oil
You won't know it's even there, until it is needed for traction, and NO clutches to wear out. One of the best up-grades I have done. Just a note on the re-build...you will have to re-use item #16 (anti-lock ring) on the true-trac

Last edited by sam1947; 10-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
So yesterday i finally got down to bussines took the axle off and rebuilt it. I have some pictures to post i will do that shortly. Had some troubles with rusty brake lines and the parking brakes looked terrible but had no time to deal with that yesterday so i left it. Everything seemed to go well put the new races in set the bearing preload on the differential bearings measured the backlash adjusted all good. Setting the pinion depth was a bit grey tho this whole paint thing seems a little old school anyways i thought i had it so i put it all back together and drove the truck to see how it went. Accelaration was fine but as soon as i take my foot of the gas its starts whining as it slows down on coast. it is also leaking out of the pinion seal. I know the seal was installed properly believe me i took my time and used a seal driver it went in perfect nice and square.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM
My opinion is that the pinion shims are not correct also the specs called for only 20 ft lbs for the pinion nut and locktite ok but it took quite a bit of force to get that flange on im thinking could it be too far out causing the pinion to move back and forth.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Pinion depth is incorrect.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5717.PDF

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Don't drive it until you get the pinion set up correct or you will ruin the new gears

Quick Reply: 2005 f150 xlt rear end rebuld