2004 - 2008 F-150

5W20 or 5W30 conventional oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Why? Because Ford was trying to meet the CAFE Federal Guidelines to get every MPG out of their engines.But,I have very many Ford tech friends that advise me to use 5W30,only if I want to.And they also reminded me that Ford spent billions of $s researching 5W20 in their engines,but,the same bearing specs for an 07 engine are the same as an 97,98,and so on,and so on,that uses 5W30.So,you do the math.
You hit the nail on the head! I've used Chevron 5w30 since day #1.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use 5w20 pennzoil conventional. I used Motorcraft at first (about 4 oil changes) and the truck always had a ticking at start-up. On my second oil change with pennzoil and no noise yet. I have always used the motorcraft oil filters though.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by BroncoBarry
I use 5w20 pennzoil conventional. I used Motorcraft at first (about 4 oil changes) and the truck always had a ticking at start-up. On my second oil change with pennzoil and no noise yet. I have always used the motorcraft oil filters though.
I seriously doubt that the MC oil was causing the ticking. My truck and My SIL's '07 W/5.4 have no ticking of any kind at start up. I change my own oil and hers too and when I hold the throttle to the floor for about 3 seconds after the change, there isn't a trace of tick from dry filter even. (Obviously no longer dry) Have always used Ford recommended MC 5-20 and MC filter. The MC Semi-synthetic is definitely a better oil than conventional Pennzoil.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 AM
I was just curious as to whom,if anyone,was using coventional oil.I also use MC semi synthetic 5W20 and MC filters.But,this last oil change I let a tire shop do my oil change.They used Valvoline syn blend 5W20 along with a NAPA ProSelect filter.I had to remove that filter and install a MC ,due to engine noise upon start up.
Ah, Thar's your problem! Do you let your baker do your haircut or your butcher do your pest control? I wouldn't!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Why? Because Ford was trying to meet the CAFE Federal Guidelines to get every MPG out of their engines.But,I have very many Ford tech friends that advise me to use 5W30,only if I want to.And they also reminded me that Ford spent billions of $s researching 5W20 in their engines,but,the same bearing specs for an 07 engine are the same as an 97,98,and so on,and so on,that uses 5W30.So,you do the math.
As I told 2 of my brothers who kept coming up with information from 20+ years ago in dealing with their new vehicles, (they do their own work) if you don't "go to school" on a continual basis you're going to be spending a lot of money having the dealer fix the things you messed up. (I had good reason to say it in each case). Things change constantly and as MGD said, there is very valid reason for using ONLY what Ford recommended, and it's NOT CAFE guidelines. As tolerances get tighter and more precise and more and more vehicles are using VVT as standard fare, you see more and more going even to 0-20 oil, and it's NOT for CAFE reasons. My wife's 2011 car uses 0-20 and when I change at 7500-8000mi. it's not down even a drop. Yes, it does have VVT.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by code58
I seriously doubt that the MC oil was causing the ticking. My truck and My SIL's '07 W/5.4 have no ticking of any kind at start up. I change my own oil and hers too and when I hold the throttle to the floor for about 3 seconds after the change, there isn't a trace of tick from dry filter even. (Obviously no longer dry) Have always used Ford recommended MC 5-20 and MC filter. The MC Semi-synthetic is definitely a better oil than conventional Pennzoil.
There's really no scientific way to prove that the motorcraft oil was causing the noise. I just know that since switching to pennzoil it has not returned so I am staying with what works. The pennzoil has a much better additive package than motorcraft. Now if the fact that it says synblend on the jug makes you THINK it is better so be it. Just don't confuse fact with opinion because I don't think either one of us have the technology to prove which is better.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Now, I'm beginning to wonder. I bought my '07 in March 2011. The dealership had just done an oil change & I don't know what oil they used though it was a MC filter. I changed oil & filter in Sept. '11 using MC 5W20 synthetic blend & a MC filter. Since then, I've got a slight tick which wasen't there before I changed the oil. Hmm.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM
There's really no scientific way to prove that the motorcraft oil was causing the noise. I just know that since switching to pennzoil it has not returned so I am staying with what works. The pennzoil has a much better additive package than motorcraft. Now if the fact that it says synblend on the jug makes you THINK it is better so be it. Just don't confuse fact with opinion because I don't think either one of us have the technology to prove which is better.
Just curious as to how you know that it has a better additive package than MC? Are you in the oil field (chemistry) or oil analysis? I'm going by what I've read about the 2 oils (quite a bit) and my own experience with MC SB. Now if you were talking about the 2 Pennzoil full synthetics, that's a whole different story, top notch, but you said conventional, not synthetic. You have the right to run used oil if you want, I won't argue that.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Just curious as to how you know that it has a better additive package than MC? Are you in the oil field (chemistry) or oil analysis? I'm going by what I've read about the 2 oils (quite a bit) and my own experience with MC SB. Now if you were talking about the 2 Pennzoil full synthetics, that's a whole different story, top notch, but you said conventional, not synthetic. You have the right to run used oil if you want, I won't argue that.
You can check VOA's on bobistheoilguy.com or on the Petroleum quality institute website. Motorcraft does not have near the moly of pennzoil conventional (40 ppm to 269) the other additives are fairly similar. If you have read up on group II+ oils you will also know that the line between conventional and synblends is getting pretty blurry, I will not get into that as I am not an expert. Pennzoil is a group II+. If the motorcraft uses a better base oil it may not need as many additives to do just as well as pennzoil or it could have some organic additives that will not show on a VOA. To really prove that though you would need several identical vehicles running in identical circumstances and do UOA's at every oil change.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I would have no problem running used oil. As long as it's valvoline nextgen of course.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Motorcraft 5W-20 (or maybe 5W-30 depending on time of year of change) Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil and Motorcraft filters for my '01 Merc GM's 4.6 and my '07 F150's 5.4 The "5W" part is what the engine sees on cold start up. I know what the books say.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-29-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 AM
I would have no problem running used oil. As long as it's valvoline nextgen of course.
Don't laugh. If the tree huggers have their way, soon that's all we'll have access to. If they have to go out to some 3rd world countries and drain their clunkers to get used oil to "reprocess", they'll do it. Before long, they'll have you drain you're oil, they'll send it off for reprocessing and in a couple months you'll be able to drive again. "We're from the Gov'ment, and we're here to help you" God help us all!

I still can't quite bring myself to use "reprocessed oil", not by any name!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I still can't quite bring myself to use "reprocessed oil", not by any name!
Actually .... while I have often felt the same way, truth is the oil itself doesn't wear out. It can be reprocessed and fortified with the additives and properties returned or modified and be as good as it was the first time. After all, much of it was in the dirty earth for a long long time.

I did recently buy a 5 quart container of Next Gen in 5W30 at my Advance Auto for my '95 T-Bird along with Purolator filter for $21.99 and got a big jug to use for dirty oil to poor back in the big tank at Advance Auto and a $20 rebate too.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You're not what,using conventional oil,5W20,5W30..........what?
I am not using conventional oil. I'm using 5W20 Mobil 1 EP and a Mobil 1 filter. 152k, burns a quart every 6k, no noises.

You have a 4.2 which isn't anywhere near as sensitive as the OHC V-8's. You can essentially use just about anything in there. The only reason I'm using Mobil 1 is I use extended change intervals.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Actually .... while I have often felt the same way, truth is the oil itself doesn't wear out. It can be reprocessed and fortified with the additives and properties returned or modified and be as good as it was the first time. After all, much of it was in the dirty earth for a long long time.

I did recently buy a 5 quart container of Next Gen in 5W30 at my Advance Auto for my '95 T-Bird along with Purolator filter for $21.99 and got a big jug to use for dirty oil to poor back in the big tank at Advance Auto and a $20 rebate too.
Problem is, how do you know what else was poured in with that oil? Paint thinner, used thinner from washing paint brushes out, brake fluid, your stale beer, gasoline that you've washed parts with, a little of the old anti freeze that wouldn't quite fit into the anti freeze jug, the possibilities are endless. how does ANYONE know for sure what else was in the old oil jugs. I'm just not ready to put that in my vehicles, no matter WHO reprocessed it! When they have that big tank to pour your old oil in, there is no way to check that oil and know what it has in it.

Quick Reply: 5W20 or 5W30 conventional oil