2004 - 2008 F-150

Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the repair that dvo1 has described about however when i put the cluster back in the truck the airbag indicator LED illuminates. I used a multimeter and measured ~998 Ohms across the LED (the other LED's have little to no resistance). Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? There are no trouble codes stored in the PCM. This is an issue only as a result of re soldering on the instrument cluster board. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:52 PM
when you read for ohms was the truck powered or off?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Is the air bag light steady or is there a flash pattern??

Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Is the air bag light steady or is there a flash pattern??
The light was steady. And I ohmed it out when he dash was off the truck thus there was no power to it.

SOLUTION: I ended up resolderinng all on the points I touched before and that worked! I've been driving it for about a week now and it seems to be consistent solution at his point. The ohms was still the same thus since it's working correctly I believe this is the correct reading (i.e. Expected result).

Old 01-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Hey guys. I just joined to say thanks! After reading everyone's posts, I fixed my problem in about 20 minutes for free on my 2006 XLT. Although its not the "right" way, the price was right. Here is what I did:

Tools used: 7mm Nut driver, plastic body panel removal tool, hot glue gun

I removed the top portion of the panel under the steering wheel to expose 2-7mm black screws. After removing the 2 screws, remove the entire plastic panel covering the instrument cluster (just YouTube for a video). Then, as you guys have pointed out, the brake light would turn on/off by pushing on the exposed wiring harness. I found a small wedge and placed it between the instrument cluster and wiring harness. I used a hot glue gun to hold the wedge in place. Only used about 3 globs, nothing crazy. That's it. About 20 minutes.

Thanks again!

Last edited by cbanka; 01-28-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:11 PM

I had the same problem and when I knocked on it it went away about a week later my alternator went. It could be partially due to the alternator going bad, my truck died halfway home, once I swapped the alternator my problem went away

Old 08-17-2017, 05:21 AM
I am Jabba69 and live in North Texas. I have a 2007 XLT and my brake light has been intermittent for past 6 months. Well inspection is due so ive been going through any of the items that it could be. checked wiring and emergency brake switch and its all good and works as advertised, replaced the master cylinder fluid level switch but still light was on. If i unplugged the master cylinder fluid level switch it would stay out so i "rigged the old switch" (removed feedback pin "middle pin" in switch) and light stayed off for about 10 miles and then came on and will not even flicker now. Bled brakes, checked switches, cleaned and inspected all three abs speed sensors, rear end fluid, just did brake job last month, adjusted emergency brakes so all physically is good. I am a x ford Mechanic (20 years ago) so im not a shad tree guy. looks like cluster is the last resort to inspect.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like this is a common problem. My light comes and goes. My brakes work. I might just have to live with it.

What are the chances that Ford will be forced to recall all these trucks to fix this issue?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150_Asian_Male
What are the chances that Ford will be forced to recall all these trucks to fix this issue?
Slim to none.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Dvo1: Your fix worked for me. Thank you

Have this truck for 2 years (06 XLT 5.4L, 167K) and have had this "brake light always on" problem the whole time. Did everything everyone else did but this post from dvo1 was the fix for me. Just did it a couple hours ago but I'll update if needed.

Thanks again dvo1

Old 09-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Just got an 04 lariat, 93k miles 4 hours ago, got it home and the brake light came on again. Bought it from a dealer, I say again because it came on while i test drove it. They "fixed" it and said nothing was wrong. I know the brakes are good because i looked at them. I text the dealer guy with a pic of the light on and we are talking again tomorrow about it. Stumbled onto this article and read most of it now, very helpful. Their service guys must not know about this problem I can at least check a couple things here tomorrow morning and get an idea of the culprit now. If it is the cluster, ill let them fix it for me since i aint had it even 12hrs yet. I agree with the safety aspect of that brake light though, like How am I supposed to know if my brakes are really having a problem? Ill find out tomorrow haha.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Dash brake light Mustang 40th

Know I'm late to this, but I thought I would add my 2¢. After working on my shifter, the tabs that cover the empty space from and back had come off, the brake light appeared. I could get the audible alarm if I pull the emergency brake, but the light was still on when it was down. I pulled the center console out unplugged the sensor and still had the light. Filled the brake fluid reservoir. Still had the light. Unplugged the sensor at the reservoir no light. I took a straw from a fast food cup and pushed the float on the sensor down a couple of times plugged the sensor back in and no light. Hope it helps.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mister B
Nope. The light is still on.
my brake light has been on in my 07 truck for year or so now, I used to be able to knock on the face of my cluster around where the light is and it would go out for a short while then come back on. So I’m guessing it’s a cluster issue but I live in Arkansas they don’t care if your driving around on 3 wheels here so I’m probably going to try to ignore it

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2006 STX developed the same problem several months ago. I didn't investigate it because I'm lazy.
A few weeks ago, I started to look into it and I replaced the parking brake sensor. The P-light stayed on.
The local parts store wanted 40 bucks for the master cylinder sensor but I found out that you could tap
the dash and the P-light would go out and would eventually come back on. This morning, I followed this
thread's instructions but I used a 1" x 2" rubber foam in between the plug and the gauge housing and the
P-light went out. Put everything back together and drove around and the P-light was out.
Thanks to all of you F-150 owners.

Quick Reply: Dash Brake Light won't go out. Any ideas?