2004 - 2008 F-150

This Year's Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
This Year's Mods...

Well, I've been thinking of what to do to my truck this year... last year I dropped about $800 into it...

I'm thinking of getting a new exhaust system, like a Flowmaster 817403 - Flowmaster Stainless Steel Force II Exhaust System... I can pick one of those up for around the $400 mark... which I think will be my slim budget for this year...

Next year I am going to be servicing the following:
- Shocks
- Struts
- Plugs
- Wires
- Front and Rear Rotors
- Front and Rear Pads
- Rear E-Brake Shoes
- Flushing the cooling system
- Flushing the brake system
- Replacing the o2 sensors
- Replacing the PCV valve
- Flushing the transmission fluid
- Flushing differential fluid
- Getting an alignment
- Changing fuel filter
- Replacing anything else that is worn on the suspension/steering system.

So next year my truck will be getting the "full-service" treatment... I'm expecting everything to cost me around $2,500 in service next year. But it will keep it running like a champ for another 5 years of service.

I hope to keep my truck running and on the road for 20 years at this rate.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
To each his own, but if I remember correctly you have a V6 truck, and I've never heard an aftermarket exhaust system that sounds good on a V6 motor. To me, they just kind of scream out, "I could have had a V8!"

Regarding next years maintenance list, do you have plug wires on your truck or just COP's? Also, I'm not sure I'd do the O2 sensors and PCV valve (is yours a replaceable unit or one that is built into the valve cover?) unless I really needed to -- but that's just me.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ddellwo
To each his own, but if I remember correctly you have a V6 truck, and I've never heard an aftermarket exhaust system that sounds good on a V6 motor. To me, they just kind of scream out, "I could have had a V8!"

Regarding next years maintenance list, do you have plug wires on your truck or just COP's? Also, I'm not sure I'd do the O2 sensors and PCV valve (is yours a replaceable unit or one that is built into the valve cover?) unless I really needed to -- but that's just me.
I don't care about the sound... the stock muffler is rusted and looks absolutely horrible... not to mention it looks like a metal darn suitcase under there. Just as long as it isn't too bad in the cab, but the muffler being all the way back there should make it quieter. I'd hope. I just want a well-built exhaust system made from stainless steel.

I've got wires on my truck with electronic distributor. Speaking of which, I might replace that unit as well. They are only $250 IIRC, which is pretty cheap.

I've already replaced my PCV valve last summer, and it takes less than 1 minute.

Right now I only have 48k on the clock. So replacing all that stuff, should get me to 100k before I have to shell out another $2,500 in 5 years.

Generally speaking, I don't drive my truck pretty much at all during the summer. In fact, last summer it sat in my garage so long (12 weeks) that my E-brakes seized up from the high humidity because it sat so long.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Generally speaking, I don't drive my truck pretty much at all during the summer. In fact, last summer it sat in my garage so long (12 weeks) that my E-brakes seized up from the high humidity because it sat so long.
When I store my 5-speed Mustang I leave the brake off and chock the wheels instead for this very reason.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ddellwo
When I store my 5-speed Mustang I leave the brake off and chock the wheels instead for this very reason.
Haha! It's funny you mention this... because that is exactly what I do to my Dakota when I store it for the winter. I learned my lesson this summer.

But yes, that is a great tip and thanks for reminding me of it.

Quick Reply: This Year's Mods...