2004 - 2008 F-150

06 F150 2wd to 4wd??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F150 2wd to 4wd??

So I have an 06 F150 supercrew lariat 2wd. Its nicely loaded and I like the truck. Bought it in Oct. and got a good deal. Otherwise I would never buy a 2wd. Anyway, I have been doing some looking and a little research, I want to make it a 4x4. Has anyone else done this? It appears the frames are the same, as well as the control arms and front suspension. As near as I can tell I just need to swap the transmission/transfer case, add the front diff/axles etc. and a 4wd switch. The harness is there and theres an option in the GEM to tell it if its 4wd or not. Any suggestions?

Also I have some mechanical ability and a lift in my gargae at the house!!!

Shane

Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
just buy a 4wd truck....

Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes, that is essentially all you have to do to convert your truck into a 4x4, but it isn't worth the money to buy all of the parts needed to do the conversion. If you really need a 4x4 truck, then your best option is going to be sell your current truck, and find a good deal on a 4x4.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The front of the frame is not the same. Also, most of the front end parts including suspension are different.

This questions has been asked many times. The best answer would be: Sell it and buy a 4x4 if that's what you need.

I can remember this question asked a million time, but cannot remember one person who actually did it.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM
REALLY? JEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ why didnt I think of just buying another truck????? Thats a GREAT idea. OR maybe I want to BUILD it NOT BUY it. All of you guys just buy your trucks already lifted/lowered? OR did you build it? I know ALOT of you Im sure did just BUY it/PAY someone else to MOD it. NOT ME!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm I looked up part #s for the frames and control arms etc. ALL the same. As well as the brackets for the front diff are already on the frame!!! I was hoping to get some actual help here. Guess if it can't be bolted on or bought from a catalog/on-line the most of you won't try it. I mean do you think a 5.0 from a Mustang was meant to go in a T-bucket? Or an LS1 in a 55 Chevy? I could go on and on.

Thanks for the help NAYSAYERS!!!!!!!

Shane

Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
OH and I don'd NEED it to be a 4x4, I have other 4x4s, but can't stand 2wd trucks. Think they are worthless!!! I just got a smoking deal on this one(less than 50% of book) so I bought it. I could sell it and make $$$, OR i can afford to PLAY with it!!!

Shane

Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Have fun with your hacked up truck, troll. If 2WD trucks were such worthless vehicles, then why did you buy it in the first place. Your truck, just like 95% of the other American trucks on the road, is a dime a dozen. You can find a 4x4 exactly like your 4x2 for probably near the same price. It would be less expensive to do so, and wouldn't be some hack job that you threw together.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Link

Message this guy. He bought my stock 4x4 knuckles awhile back as he's converting his 2wd to a 4wd. He may have done some research that may prove useful to you.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by attitude
OH and I don'd NEED it to be a 4x4, I have other 4x4s, but can't stand 2wd trucks. Think they are worthless!!! I just got a smoking deal on this one(less than 50% of book) so I bought it. I could sell it and make $$$, OR i can afford to PLAY with it!!!

Shane
I guess you have a worthless truck, then. Have fun chopping it apart and wasting your money.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 PM
I do have a wrothless truck. lol Anyway, Im glad all you guys think it will be HACKED up!!! So I guess I will hack it/chop it up then. I suppose I dont need to explain myself or have YOUR approval either!!!! lol And by the way. I have HACKED/CHOPPED alot of cars/trucks over my days of working on them. Been a FORD MASTER TECH since 95. And built a bunch of stuff. Just havent done a 2wd to 4wd conversion on of these trucks yet!!! i did turn a crewcab dually 2wd into a crewcab shortbed 4x4 SRW a couple yrs ago. I bet I can figure it out.

Thanks Lifted5.4!!!!

Shane

Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by attitude
I do have a wrothless truck. lol Anyway, Im glad all you guys think it will be HACKED up!!! So I guess I will hack it/chop it up then. I suppose I dont need to explain myself or have YOUR approval either!!!! lol And by the way. I have HACKED/CHOPPED alot of cars/trucks over my days of working on them. Been a FORD MASTER TECH since 95. And built a bunch of stuff. Just havent done a 2wd to 4wd conversion on of these trucks yet!!! i did turn a crewcab dually 2wd into a crewcab shortbed 4x4 SRW a couple yrs ago. I bet I can figure it out.

Thanks Lifted5.4!!!!

Shane
First of all, let me say that just about everyone here appreciates a good mod. However, I'm not understanding how a Master Ford Tech ends up on a forum asking about parts, on a Ford. Seems like with your experience this would be a no brainier. I'm wondering if after all the money and labor is added up, if you would have been better off buying a 4x4 in the first place. Which is what some of the other have already suggested.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
That is a good point!!!! I am a Ford Master Tech on here asking questions. I DON'T KNOW IT ALL!!!!! I mainly work on diesels. however I do work on everything else as well. And not so much asking about parts as asking if anyone else has already done it. I fully intend to do this, And yes I may end up having a few bucks in it. But planning to try to find a donor truck (salvage) for all my parts-trans, transfer case, front diff and axles, spindles, rear blocks, etc. Hoping to do it all for a couple grand. As there shouldnt be any labor costs, just parts. Im sure I will end up buying a few new parts here and there, but I get them at cost plus 10%, so no biggie. I always like to tinker with FACTORY stuff that will interchange and fit and work, but wasnt MADE FOR IT!! Kind of like all the guys (including me) that did an 05 and up front end conversion on their 99-04 Superduty. or add cab lights to them that didnt come with them. Or making a SRW superduty a dually,

Not trying to get into a match here. I KNOW it can be done. And it may be pricey, but to me spending $10k on a paint job is stupid. So to each their own. I was merly asking if anyone has done it, and if so maybe some pointers. What I DONT need is people's opinions about being hacked up, chopped up, cobbled up, rednecked up, or whatever. The guys that post that crap usually have NO IDEA and should just keep their mouths shut!!!!

Shane

Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Well...it is a message board, so people will always say things that you don't agree with. Really just need to ignore it and move on. I learned quickly how to get past the garbage on this and many other forums.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 PM
very true Pylda. Very sharp truck too by the way!! I did think about just lifting it like yours because that is sharp. But if I go to the trouble of lifting a 2wd I figure I might as well make it a 4x4

Shane

Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Not trying to get into a match here. I KNOW it can be done. And it may be pricey, but to me spending $10k on a paint job is stupid. So to each their own. I was merly asking if anyone has done it, and if so maybe some pointers. What I DONT need is people's opinions about being hacked up, chopped up, cobbled up, rednecked up, or whatever. The guys that post that crap usually have NO IDEA and should just keep their mouths shut!!!!
I think you weren't getting the answer you wanted because if it has ever been done, it has probably been done 1 or 2 times, and that is for the simple fact that it isn't practical to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4. Unless you can get parts at discounted prices, I think it is going to be more than just a couple of grand. It is probably going to cost 5k+ in parts, and take a good bit of fabrication to complete. And if you don't need a 4x4, then why go through the hassle of converting the truck into a 4x4? You could spend the same amount of money to buy a nice lift and nice mud tires, gears, and whatever else you want, and have a truck that is more functional than a stock height 4x4.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 2wd to 4wd??