Precautions about switching to synthetic >

Precautions about switching to synthetic

2004 - 2008 F-150

Precautions about switching to synthetic

Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1947 View Post
for what it's worth 88, the OP has an 05 and you have an 10 anyway, I was using the 0W-20 amsoil in my 07 and started to get a very slight phaser knock on bank 1. Talked to my dealer (which I trust highly) it is recommended to NOT run the 0W-20 weight, but to use the 5W-20 XL Amsoil in the engines with the phasers, also stick with the 5000 mi change. I did this and the phaser noise went away and hasn't come back. BTW, my truck only has 36,000 mi on the clock..so...go figure ??
That was on my 2006.....the 2010 hasn't been switched yet...

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok..got it now.....sounds like the phaser engines don't like 0W too much..I haven't heard too much about this in the forum although it does make sense (a little too thin for the phasers to operate properly possibly?)

Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM
FYI - went ahead and changed the oil. After the discussion I decided just to go back to Motorcraft 5w-20 and use a motorcraft filter as well.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a fortuitous change of circumstance, I have been blessed by my bank account, by way of a more fuel efficient vehicle. All those years of shaving the copper edge off pennies, and recycling the copper have paid off. I looked up one day, and discovered that I could afford to buy another car.

My F-150 is no longer a daily driver. Just short trips to the grocery store once a week, and the occasional hot date. Less than 1,000 miles a year. Very few hot dates, as girls don't see my truck as a "date car".

I'm scratching my head as to how often to change my oil. My last oil change interval was 2 years. The oil still looked new. But looks don't mean much. I'm wondering how much that oil has broken down just sitting in the oil pan. Wondering if I should change it every year, or wait 5 years.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 PM
glc
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd change it once a year.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:17 AM
It is interesting to go out to check the oil once a week, and seeing "new" oil on the dipstick everytime. Literally, new oil. The oil looks as fresh as when it came out of the bottle last Christmas.

As a side note, I bought a little Transit Connect Wagon Queen Family Truckster. With the synthetic oil, the oil appears to be lasting a lot longer. I changed the oil on Memorial Day. And now it's Labor Day. The Summer Travel Season put 3,000 miles worth of trips to Walley World & back. The synthetic oil is still new & fresh. According to the owners manual, the oil life monitor will alert between 7,500, and 10,000 miles. But I would have never expected any oil to stay that clean, for that many miles.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As long as right weight, nothing is wrong with Castrol GTX …. it is good stuff . Motorcraft oil is a blend of dino oil and synthetic, it is possibly a best buy as far as oil, what it costs and what you get. Either one will be great in 5W20 or 5W30 grades.

Important is to change filters at every change (I use MC filters) and catch it at 5-7,000 mile intervals.

Cars & trucks operate in far cleaner atmosphere than those of old when 3,000 miles was the norm. Ever consider road draft tubes and the abundance of dirt / gravel roads just a few, 30, 50 years back.??

Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853 View Post

nothing is wrong with Castrol GTX . it is good stuff . Motorcraft oil is a blend of dino oil and synthetic, it is possibly a best buy as far as oil,
In today's market, almost every oil sold via regular channels of commerce (parts distributors, auto supply stores, big box chains) will carry the API starburst. And can be used without complication. Even the Wal*Mart SuperTech brand can be used. Sure, it may not be as fancy, with extended oil change intervals, but your engine won't blow up the minute you pour it in.

Originally Posted by tbear853 View Post

Important is to change filters at every change
Who changes oil without changing the filter?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Precautions about switching to synthetic

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: