2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 F150 5.4 Transmission Flush with Magnefine In-line Filter (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Bender24
Thanks Xperties,, great video and advise..
I second that!!!!

Did the swap/flush today!!!

Last edited by Slick Whitman; 06-19-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did The same thing. Everything worked like a charm. Put a total of 14.5 quarts back in the truck. Thanks!

I had a little worry that I was kinking one of the oil lines going into the Magnifine filter so hopefully it will still pump nicely through the lines OK. I'll keep an eye on the temp.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by RiverRacerX
I had a little worry that I was kinking one of the oil lines going into the Magnifine filter so hopefully it will still pump nicely through the lines OK. I'll keep an eye on the temp.
Did you put your filter where I put mine at?

My temps in Oklahoma with outside temps being 95-101 has been running my trans temp around 145-160. Now when I was towing a 6x12 trailer from NJ to OK 2 weeks ago I was hitting temps from 160-195 depending on road conditions.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes, exact same spot. The line in has to make a 90 degree turn and I wish I had a bit more hose so the angle was not so tight. The line out is fine.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by RiverRacerX
Yes, exact same spot. The line in has to make a 90 degree turn and I wish I had a bit more hose so the angle was not so tight. The line out is fine.
Yeah I know what you're saying, I felt the same but since Ive had mine on I've ran about 3500 miles in very step hills, towing and local driving and checked it and never had any issues with temps or leaking or pressure. In fact I needed to take a little ATF fluid out and unhooked the return side of the filter keeping it in that same angle and it shot out when I started my truck, so no pressure lost.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Good to know. Thanks! And thanks again for the video and instructions. I had never done the tranny before and it was pretty easy.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gonna do it this weekend, but without the magnetic filter. I have a 07 screw 5.4 and when you guys say the return cooler line, I assuming you mean the tranny cooler. The lines going into the tranny cooler come from the bottom (??). So am I to unscrew it from the bottom on the passenger side ( the cold line) and plug the tranny cooler hole and the other end in the bucket. I just wanna make sure ,so I don't jack anyhting up... I pretty mechanically iinclined with all the tools etc., I just don't wanna mess anyhting up. Tips\advice

Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
i plan on cutting the line coming from the tranny and installing a temp sensor and flushing out at that time.(can't do it today - snowing out we are up to 9 inchs)

almost time to go out and have some fun

i installed the gauge on the center console between the shifter and cup holder.( i'll post pics as soon as i fugure out how to. wish this chore was a little easyer on this site......) i wired it with a male / female connectors so i can remove console with out having to take apart wires, also installed some switchs for future accessorries.

next i'm going to cut out ash tray cover and make a trim out of it to go around CBand intsall CB were ashtray sits...

Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Enjoyed the video. For many, it's something they'l want to investigate closer, maybe adopt in their daily driver or that "special toy".

At 57 and with a good 40+ years of maintaining my vehicles behind me and the habits that instilled .... and with 5 Fords in the driveway .... all with automatics .... I just don't see ME adding a second inline filter of small size and questionable filter surface area and capacity at this stage. I am sure that if changed regularly, it would be a positive thing ..... even if it just made you feel good.

You mention not adding holes to the pan for a drain but you don't hesitate adding a pair of fluid couplings? The thing about the drain plug is it just makes it so "less messy" to do a proper transmission filter change and magnet cleaning with a partial fluid change to boot. If done correctly there's no leaks. The newer Ford pan gaskets are reusable over and over again. I might would add a second magnet to that pan? I add drain plugs to mine at fiirst change.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Year later I change the inline filter. Unfortunately I did not know my phone was not recording audio but you can tell after I cut the filter open it had collected a good amount of metal and did a good job.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as plugging the other line, I couldn't recommend anything because it does have some pressure to it and if not plugged it will just pump out the new fluid in the pan you just put in. I would recommend having a friend/brother/girlfriend/wife/hire a prostitute/someone to turn your truck off and on....lol
Originally Posted by XPerties
In fact I needed to take a little ATF fluid out and unhooked the return side of the filter keeping it in that same angle and it shot out when I started my truck, so no pressure lost.
XP, I'm a little puzzled about the fluid shooting out of BOTH ends of the hose. I have always (on Fords, ever since they took the drain plug out of the convertor) done it that way (most of the time I do it alone) and have never had any fluid come from the side that goes on to the trans. Even with different makes of vehicles, because there's no pressure on the return line from where you catch the old fluid. I normally just remove the hoses where they go into the rad. cooler and come out. Once I put the "continuing end" in the bucket of new fluid, thinking I'd just suck it in that way as the old was being pumped out. Found out in a hurry there's no suction to it, only pressure from the pump on the "dirty" side. The "continuing" side only drains back into the pan, should be no pressure at all. Pump just sucks up from the bottom of the pan what the return line has "deposited" there. Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

Last edited by code58; 10-12-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 5.4 Transmission Flush with Magnefine In-line Filter (Video)