2004 - 2008 F-150

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating Issue

Ive got a 2006 F150 5.4l 4x4 and ive had it overheat on me twice but only while towing a trailer with some furniture the first time and the second time a boat. When it overheats the dash reads engine power reduced and the gauge is all of the sudden pegged out so I shut the truck off and then restarted and the gauge is suddenly back to normal. It hasn't overheated again since the last time I was towing the boat so im kinda stumped on what the issue might be.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level?

Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Coolant level, old coolant, and other most common is the thermostat. When is the last time the system was flushed, hoses replaced, thermostat replaced.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Any luck? I was also climbing around my truck last night...check the air damn between the lower front bumper and radiator. You should have a flexible piece, almost like heavy duty tar paper, that directs air from the bumper up to the radiator and transmission cooler (if you have a transmission cooler).

Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You're not really "overheating", this is just the PCM putting you into "limp mode" due to some sensed problem. The PCM drives the temp gauge to the limit as a visual cue and shuts down 4 cylinders to get you to reduce the load on things.

If it was a REAL overheat, you would not be able to restart with the temp back to normal so quickly. So, it's not the coolant level and it's not the thermostat. It won't be the CHT sensor either.

Maybe, it's something like the knock sensor or some other sensor such as an O2 sensor that is sending faulty (or maybe genuine) information when the engine is under load.

- Jack

Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this. The coolant level and all is good. Also the truck hasn't thrown a check engine light or anything like that. There hasn't been another incident at all since I pulled that boat like a month ago which is the last time I towed something.

Quick Reply: Overheating Issue