2004 - 2008 F-150

Best site for LED bulbs ?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best site for LED bulbs ?

I have seen a few trucks now with led lights and really like them, I am looking at changing mine on my 2008 F150 Lariat inlcuding the fogs as well, what is the best sote you guys have found to buy the bulds and are they just plug and play ?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
There are a lot of threads on LED's, I prefer V-leds.com. People have had some issues with some LED's but like I said plenty of threads on that too.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Are they just plug and play ? Twist out plug in new one twist in ?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I second V-LEDS....quality products but you do have to pay for that quality. Yes they are plug and play and also include resistors in their LED bulbs which is why they tend to be a little higher in prices.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Not exactly plug and play, just search LED's here.

On V-leds website they say the Platinum bulbs are "Plug and Play" but I'm not 100%. The Platinum bulbs are also the most expensive.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I am on their site now and have read the LED guide in the light section here and really confused LOL, I see ballast boxes ect am I not able to just replace the bulb with a blue looking led bulb ? I found that I guess the high low beam is a H13 and the fogs a 9140 ? I dont see anything with 9140 on their site ?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
So your wanting to do your fog lights. They do have Fog/DRLs but not in 9140, I'm not very familiar with those. Your best bet would be HIDs in the heads and fogs, but be careful with changing the color to blue. I don't know how your local laws are, but here its illegal and begging for a ticket. Blue tint (6k white) isn't going to draw that much attention but a blue led is a different story.

If your planning to do any of your turn signals front or back, most Leds will require a led flasher, or load resistors. Led flasher usually fixes "hyperflash" and that's all I have on mine.

I did have other issues with the current "back feeding" into the fog lights but most do not experience that problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Blue tint is what I meant I guess as thats what I have seen in other trucks lately, Did you order from V-Led can you point me to the proper part numbers on their site it has me all confused LOL

I just want to do the High/Low Beam and fogs nothing else

Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I believe these HIDs in 6k Blue is what your looking for.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-H...74560-1-2.html

I don't see anything in 9140 for the fogs.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
But those have ballast and stuff that need to be installed, I was really just looking for a bulb to plug in and thats it likes others have done

Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Like these? I have them, light output is that bright but do look pretty good.
http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...-Blue&p_cat=72

Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I do not recommend the bulbs you are talking about with a blue coating on the halogen bulb. They get extremely hot and will melt your plastic housing....they also fail often because of the heat.

If you want the look of HID's the best bet is to go HID. The coated bulbs will also cut down on the amount of light output and be dimmer, but burn hotter.

DDM tuning offers budget friendly HID's, although not the best quality they do the job...I have McCulloch 8K HID's in my headlights with a wiring harness to the battery and 8K DDM tuning fog lights...my headlights are more blue (true 8K) than the bulbs in my DDM ones. The McCulloch kit was also $380 vs the DDM kit of $70.....when the DDM bulbs burn out I will get some bulbs from ultrabrightlights.com or other supplier who sell McCulloch parts.

If you are dead set on just replacing the bulbs I have had good luck with the Nokya Arctic White bulbs. They should be ok in your headlights, may melt deflector though. For your fog lights because you have an '08 with round housings you will need to drill a hole in the back of them to vent the excess heat out of the housing...or you will DEF melt the plastic lens and the damage will be visible when looking at your truck.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Go to Thehidfactory.com They'r based in Houston (I've been there) but theyll ship, their hids are super bright and good quality i got some interior leds from them as well. Good Customer service.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I put some 3157 switchbacks from an ebay seller in a few days ago; so far so good.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4
I do not recommend the bulbs you are talking about with a blue coating on the halogen bulb. They get extremely hot and will melt your plastic housing....they also fail often because of the heat.

If you want the look of HID's the best bet is to go HID. The coated bulbs will also cut down on the amount of light output and be dimmer, but burn hotter.

DDM tuning offers budget friendly HID's, although not the best quality they do the job...I have McCulloch 8K HID's in my headlights with a wiring harness to the battery and 8K DDM tuning fog lights...my headlights are more blue (true 8K) than the bulbs in my DDM ones. The McCulloch kit was also $380 vs the DDM kit of $70.....when the DDM bulbs burn out I will get some bulbs from ultrabrightlights.com or other supplier who sell McCulloch parts.

If you are dead set on just replacing the bulbs I have had good luck with the Nokya Arctic White bulbs. They should be ok in your headlights, may melt deflector though. For your fog lights because you have an '08 with round housings you will need to drill a hole in the back of them to vent the excess heat out of the housing...or you will DEF melt the plastic lens and the damage will be visible when looking at your truck.
No problems with my Recon Xenon bulbs. Had em in for over a year now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best site for LED bulbs ?