2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 XLT Homelink Mod, write up with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 XLT Homelink Mod, write up with pics

We have an automatic gate across the front of our property as well as our automatic garage door and I got tired of having the remotes clipped to my sunvisor. I got on ebay and picked up a used homelink module for $26 that came out of a chrysler sebring sunvisor and was the same color as my interior.

I know of one or two people that have added them to their sunvisors but I did not want to attempt to take the visor apart. I do not have the overhead rail system but I do have the overhead console with the map lights and sun glasses holder. That provided the perfect spot to mount the homelink module.

The first thing you do is remove the overhead console by simply pulling down on it with firm pressure so it just snaps right out. There are 2 sets of wires to the map lights and you have to unplug the wire harness of both.

After doing a little test fitting I snapped the button cover off the homelink module and placed it on the backside of the overhead console so I could mark where I wanted to cut.

I drilled out holes first using the marks I made on the backside that matched up with the button area and where the little light is on the homelink cover.

Next I used my rotozip and cut out the area basically using the holes like a dot to dot.

I then fastened the module to the back of the console using black duct tape. The module barely weighs an once and I just needed something to hold it in place until the button cover was snapped on the other side. Once the cover snapped on it was very secure.

Finally it was time to put the overhead console back in place. I tapped into the map light wire harness for power and ground for the module. I then followed the homelink instructions for programming and it worked like a charm!

Other than being a little nerve racking drilling in and cuttin out the console this was a fairly simple mod and took me less than an hour to do.

One other thing is that I did have to shave about 1/16th of an inch off the inside back of the homelink module where the button cover snaps in. The console plastic is slighty thicker than the module was originally designed for. I shaved it off carefully using a small chisel and just pressure from my hand. The module will snap apart so it is easy to get to the inside.

This could be done to any year model that doesn't have Homelink all you need is power and ground and a place to put it.

Last edited by ab46501; 03-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Very nice write up! I will set it up in the Articles and How To section. Thank you for a nice contribution to the site.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good job!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Very nice write up! I will set it up in the Articles and How To section. Thank you for a nice contribution to the site.
Originally Posted by 88racing
Good job!
Thanks guys!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Great work. I know how handy those things are, thankfully mine is built in, but if I did not have that, I would be on board with your writeup.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Great work. I know how handy those things are, thankfully mine is built in, but if I did not have that, I would be on board with your writeup.
Thanks! I finally got tired of looking at the clip ons and also how they would tend to fall off if you hit a bump with the visor down.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Yay! A cheap and useful mod. I love that kind.

Looks like I'm off to eBay. lol

Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM
do you guys think this would work with an alarm system for the house. lets say if you have an ADT or Brinks home alarm that you can turn on or off with a remote, would you be able to turn it on or off with the homelink. Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 PM

I don't know about a home alarm. Try checking the Homelink website I think they have a compataility list on it.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Yes it will work with adt. The wifes odyssey has it...Looks like Im gonna be looking for one now!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Awesome write-up. I just did mine this morning. Only difference I had was that instead of shaving the homelink case, I shaved down my console with my dremel. Probably harder, but I was scared I'd go too deep on the homelink case. Works like a champ! Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Perfect timing. I'm looking to install one in my truck. I'd lile to install in the visor so it's same as my car. But the console looks much easier to do with less chance of messing up. I mess up a lot. LoL.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Just got done installing mine in an 06 XLT. I ground off the homelink cover so it would clip back together. Very cool mod...no more openers on the visor.

Quick Reply: 2005 XLT Homelink Mod, write up with pics