2004 - 2008 F-150

40k Maintenance suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40k Maintenance suggestions

I have a 2007 with ~41k on the clock. I'm bringing it in to the shop (non-dealer) next week to get some routine maintenance. I'm not looking for a thread on "do it yourself to save money", because my desire to do that goes way down when it's about 5 degrees outside and my truck doesnt fit in my garage.

Up to this point, its been regular oil & filter changes, tires rotated, replaced the fuel filter at 30k, rear diff seal replaced by dealer (twice), brakes are fine, keep the air filter clean and the MAF clean. That's about it.

Here is what I know I am going to have them do :
- Oil & Filter
- ATF change (just dropping the pan and replacing filter)
- Coolant replaced

What else should I have done?
- Grease U-joint?
- Grease power steering linkage?
- What else?

Thanks for the help, I just want to call and get the quote, and not have to call back several times to add stuff on.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure I'd even do all you're planning at this point.

If I were going to change ATF and coolant, I'd probably be inclined to wait until 50K and then do it regularly from there at the same interval.

I'd also probably add a power steering and brake fluid flush at the 50k mark as well.

Unless you're really hard on your truck (lots of towing, idling, etc.) I'd be inclined to say you're just a tad early for what you have planned. On my daily drivers I like to strike a reasonable balance between what the "maintenance freaks" might do versus what the owner's manual recommends.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Just had mine serviced a few weeks ago. 49,xxx miles and I bought it with 44,000. Had no previous maintenence history so I wanted to get as much done as I could afford and have a starting point for future maintenance. I wouldn't worry with the coolant unless it looks/smells bad. The factory Ford coolant should last you a good while. I did the following to mine at 49,000.

-Spark Plug change (I would reccomend you do the same if you haven't already had them done)
-Transmission flush and fluid change
-Oil and Filter change
-Fuel Filter change
-Transfer case fluid change
-Front and Rear diff fluid change

I had planned on doing the diffs and transfer case on my own once the weather warmed up, since I didn't have any issues with them and it was a relatively easy thing for me to do in my driveway. But after what my mechanic found I told them to take care of it now.

Old front diff fluid on the right, new on the left. Mechanic said there was enough water in the front diff that it could have easily frozen. That would have been fun!!!

Old transfer case fluid on the right

I was more than surprised by how bad the fluids were. My truck ran absolutely great from the day I bought it zero issues with it whatsoever, but wanted to get some serious maintenance done on it since I had no idea how was treated before I bought it. I'm sure glad I made that decision!!!

Last edited by BigTerp; 01-27-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
WOW, good info. I bought mine with 42k on it and it has 50k on it now. Same situation; I had no maint records.
Guess I know what my next maint will be!!

Trans Flush (w/ Mag-hytec pan & filter)
Rear Diff Fluid (w/ mag-hytec cover)
Front Transfer case fluid
Fuel Filter change
New Oil & Filter
Power Steering Flush
Brake Flush (w/ EBC F:7000 & R:6000 pads)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
At 37k I put new plugs in, changed transmission oil, changed the oil/filter, new fuel filter, and put a new belt on. I also inspected the front end, rear end, drive shaft for any unusual noises or play. I'm at 42k right now, and in the spring I am putting new o2 sensors in and another new fuel filter, hopefully I will reach 45k. I might change the transmission oil at 50k too... I think every 15k is good to swap out manual transmission oils. I use the RP Synthetic Automatic Transmission fluid... costs close to $100 per swap. I'm also going to swap the rear end fluid out at 50k as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by BigTerp
-Spark Plug change (I would reccomend you do the same if you haven't already had them done)
-Transmission flush and fluid change
-Oil and Filter change
-Fuel Filter change
-Transfer case fluid change
-Front and Rear diff fluid change
Wow, that's a lot. Mind if I ask how much he charged you? I know the plugs have breakage issues but it seems a little early to me to be changing them. I was thinking of doing them around 60k. Don't need a rear diff fluid change since they just replaced the seal 10k miles ago and it is my understanding that you can't get the seal off without draining it to begin with.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Turd Fergy
Wow, that's a lot. Mind if I ask how much he charged you? I know the plugs have breakage issues but it seems a little early to me to be changing them. I was thinking of doing them around 60k. Don't need a rear diff fluid change since they just replaced the seal 10k miles ago and it is my understanding that you can't get the seal off without draining it to begin with.
The plugs cost me $350 or so. They had ALOT of carbon build up on them. They only had one break but didn't charge me extra. They reccomended every 50K for the plugs. The diffs and transfer case fluid change ran about $300. It was a little more because they actually dropped the front diff so they could get to it better and give it a good cleaning since the fluid was so crappy. Fuel filter was about $50 I believe. Had the tranny service done at Ford. They charged $170 for a complete flush and fill. I think after all was said and done I was in about $1,000. A little expensive but more than worth the piece of mind I now have!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Uin2it
WOW, good info. I bought mine with 42k on it and it has 50k on it now. Same situation; I had no maint records.
Guess I know what my next maint will be!!

Trans Flush (w/ Mag-hytec pan & filter)
Rear Diff Fluid (w/ mag-hytec cover)
Front Transfer case fluid
Fuel Filter change
New Oil & Filter
Power Steering Flush
Brake Flush (w/ EBC F:7000 & R:6000 pads)
Looks like a good place to start to me. I'm not sure about needing the brakes and power steering flushed unless your having issues. But I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in. I would also consider having the plugs changed, depending on the model year of your truck. Alot of guys on here will tell you not to get the tranny flushed, but to just have the fluid exchanged. I had mine flushed and don't see any issues with doing it that way.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Well technically, most vehicles probably go most of their lives without have a brake system or power steering system flush. Brake fluid breaks down and starts to absorb water in the lines a lot faster than most people realize, but most never notice a change in braking ability unless they have air in the lines. I don't think the power steering fluid is anything to mess with at less than 100K miles, but that's just me.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
To the OP: All you need right now is an oil and filter change and get them to do a multi-point inspection.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
At 37k I put new plugs in, changed transmission oil, changed the oil/filter, new fuel filter, and put a new belt on. I also inspected the front end, rear end, drive shaft for any unusual noises or play. I'm at 42k right now, and in the spring I am putting new o2 sensors in and another new fuel filter, hopefully I will reach 45k. I might change the transmission oil at 50k too... I think every 15k is good to swap out manual transmission oils. I use the RP Synthetic Automatic Transmission fluid... costs close to $100 per swap. I'm also going to swap the rear end fluid out at 50k as well.
The manual trans oils are supposed to last longer than the auto. I think for says over 100k on those.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 AM
My final decision :
- Oil & Filter
- Multi-point inspection
- ATF Fluid & Filter
- Grease whatever they think needs it

Part of this is based on the fact that my wife's car will need the same crap in another month or two

Quick Reply: 40k Maintenance suggestions