F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Flashing check engine = misfire? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/437541-flashing-check-engine-misfire.html)

05BlackFX4 01-08-2011 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 4452545)
Alright, so after searching for the term p0302, I found rockpick's thread where he had injector troubles and also got that code. I'll add that in my situation, I've had instances where the truck would be very hard to start and i've had to crank for longer than normal to get it to turn over. I suspected it was injector related but wasn't sure.

so the culprits could be:

1. plug - possible, but not likely

2. COP - probably

3. injector - possible

How would one test to find out which one's the problem?

Like said the only way to test the cop is to pull it while the truck is running and if the engine doesn't seem to bog down that is likely the culprit. You can also pull a COP from a good plug and switch it with the one you suspect being the prouble and check for spark on the COP...if no spark you have the culprit. Plugs have to be checked the same...if it's an injector take it to Ford you have an extended warranty on them to 120K miles on the 05's and make them fix it and any related issue that could have been caused by a leaky injector.

I suspect mine is a COP as I drove thru a "puddle" as I put it but the girlfriend said it was a lake. I threw water all over the place and know I got some up under the engine bay. My guess is some leaked in around the boot of the COP and that's all she wrote :o

Big Slick 01-09-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4 (Post 4452826)
Like said the only way to test the cop is to pull it while the truck is running and if the engine doesn't seem to bog down that is likely the culprit. You can also pull a COP from a good plug and switch it with the one you suspect being the prouble and check for spark on the COP...if no spark you have the culprit. Plugs have to be checked the same...if it's an injector take it to Ford you have an extended warranty on them to 120K miles on the 05's and make them fix it and any related issue that could have been caused by a leaky injector.

I suspect mine is a COP as I drove thru a "puddle" as I put it but the girlfriend said it was a lake. I threw water all over the place and know I got some up under the engine bay. My guess is some leaked in around the boot of the COP and that's all she wrote :o

Alrighty, looks like I'll be swapping COP's soon. I was curious about testing because the truck drives fine until its hit WOT, then the fun begins. I obviously don't want to be testing like that to find out if I fixed it.

When you said take it to Ford to fix any injector problems, do I just stroll in and tell them I think I've got injector issues? Kinda seems like I need an actual problem or they'll charge me for unrelated issues.

05BlackFX4 01-09-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 4453256)
Alrighty, looks like I'll be swapping COP's soon. I was curious about testing because the truck drives fine until its hit WOT, then the fun begins. I obviously don't want to be testing like that to find out if I fixed it.

When you said take it to Ford to fix any injector problems, do I just stroll in and tell them I think I've got injector issues? Kinda seems like I need an actual problem or they'll charge me for unrelated issues.

Tell them your symptoms and you think you have a faulty injector. The Ford warranty covers the injector and if they need to they can get a copy of the letter sent to all 05 owners affected by the injectors. FORD replaces them for free. Keep in mind your dealership is privately owned and sells Ford products, they are not "Ford".

If they don't find anything you will be left paying for a diagnostic fee

Big Slick 01-09-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4 (Post 4453526)
Tell them your symptoms and you think you have a faulty injector. The Ford warranty covers the injector and if they need to they can get a copy of the letter sent to all 05 owners affected by the injectors. FORD replaces them for free. Keep in mind your dealership is privately owned and sells Ford products, they are not "Ford".

If they don't find anything you will be left paying for a diagnostic fee

I can handle that. :thumbsup:

I just didn't want to go in there and for them to find nothing, but charge a ton for their labor. Shop rates aren't cheap.

One more thing if. The little clips that hold the connectors to the injectors and COP broke while I was switching them today. Can yo buy replacement connectors?

05BlackFX4 01-10-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 4453745)
I can handle that. :thumbsup:

I just didn't want to go in there and for them to find nothing, but charge a ton for their labor. Shop rates aren't cheap.

One more thing if. The little clips that hold the connectors to the injectors and COP broke while I was switching them today. Can yo buy replacement connectors?

Dealership can fix it for you....I had a small clamp on my air intake that I needed to get a larger one for and never got around to it...when cleaning my MAF sensor I noticed Ford replaced it for me free of charge :banana:

Big Slick 01-11-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4 (Post 4455405)
Dealership can fix it for you....I had a small clamp on my air intake that I needed to get a larger one for and never got around to it...when cleaning my MAF sensor I noticed Ford replaced it for me free of charge :banana:

I appreciate all the help. One more thing I'm not 100% clear on:

The injector letter from Ford states that they cover certain 2005 vehicles. It's my understanding that they changed suppliers mid-2005. How do I know if I have an affected vehicle?

Lastly, since swapping the COP and clearing the code, I haven't experienced the misfire and the CEL hasn't come back on. However, it only missed at high rpms. If I floor it on the interstate, it seems to have a hard time above 4K rpms and the tach seems to float around that level as it won't rev high enough to shift into the next gear at WOT. (No, I'm not running around town with my foot to the floor. I just wanted to see if the problem still existed).

05BlackFX4 01-11-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 4455733)
I appreciate all the help. One more thing I'm not 100% clear on:

The injector letter from Ford states that they cover certain 2005 vehicles. It's my understanding that they changed suppliers mid-2005. How do I know if I have an affected vehicle?

Lastly, since swapping the COP and clearing the code, I haven't experienced the misfire and the CEL hasn't come back on. However, it only missed at high rpms. If I floor it on the interstate, it seems to have a hard time above 4K rpms and the tach seems to float around that level as it won't rev high enough to shift into the next gear at WOT. (No, I'm not running around town with my foot to the floor. I just wanted to see if the problem still existed).

It all comes down to your VIN. If you received a letter you know you're covered. But Ford can also do a VIN check to see if your motor is affected.

so you are still having the issue about 4K RPM? I noticed with running premium fuel thru the motor and some injector cleaner my problem has all but vanished. Still there but about 85% less present then before. Truck still going in tomorrow to change the COPS though.

glc 01-11-2011 08:42 PM

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Silver04f150 01-11-2011 08:49 PM

My truck does the same thing. I've been told the intake-manifold gasket is cracked as well?

NOLAGT 01-12-2011 06:55 AM

Mine runs bad too...and flashes the light. If I give it any gas over 1/4 throttle it bucks pops sputter and the rps don't go above 3k. Only dtc I can see if for faulty knock sensors tho. I have a tick out the bottom end too. My plugs are old as well (140k). I am just swapping the motor because of the noise in the bottom end and other issues. I dont know if the cam phasers are bad either. I just dont want to spend a couple grand chasing down issues when I can get a Jasper reman longblock for 5200 to my door.

Big Slick 01-12-2011 09:51 AM

I'm running some techron fuel system cleaner through it now and bought a set of spark plugs to change soon. Figure they need to be done anyways at 79K. Then I'll try a COP if that doesn't clear it up.

Fuel filter was done last year i think? Probably could be changed again.

05BlackFX4 01-12-2011 04:28 PM

my fuel filter was changed 10K ago.

plugs 20K ago and COPS were just changed today. Truck runs a million times better and idle issue is solved. My old COPS were dirty but the dealership couldn't find any that were having issues when they looked at it. I ran fuel injector cleaner thru it, cleaned my MAF sensor, throttle body was cleaned about 10K ago and cleaned my air filter. Truck has never run this well since I bought it.

Dealership charged $150 to diagnose and put in new COPS. Have the old COPS so we will see what happens. All injectors and plugs were fine.

I also ran a tank of premium fuel thru it and it seemed to correct the issue but it would still stutter a little....no issues and have driven 80 miles today or so in stop and go traffic.

Big Slick 01-12-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4 (Post 4457464)
my fuel filter was changed 10K ago.

plugs 20K ago and COPS were just changed today. Truck runs a million times better and idle issue is solved. My old COPS were dirty but the dealership couldn't find any that were having issues when they looked at it. I ran fuel injector cleaner thru it, cleaned my MAF sensor, throttle body was cleaned about 10K ago and cleaned my air filter. Truck has never run this well since I bought it.

Dealership charged $150 to diagnose and put in new COPS. Have the old COPS so we will see what happens. All injectors and plugs were fine.

I also ran a tank of premium fuel thru it and it seemed to correct the issue but it would still stutter a little....no issues and have driven 80 miles today or so in stop and go traffic.

Well that's reassuring. I haven't been the most diligent on maintenance except for oil changes, so my plan is to basically do everything you did.

It's weird though. Since swapping COPS numbers 1 and 2, the CEL hasn't come back on. It still doesn't feel right in the upper RPMs. There's a weird hesitation around 4-4500 before the shift point. If I drive easy, don't really notice anything.

Big Slick 01-22-2011 03:36 PM

I'm waiting on the Lisle tool before I change the plugs but in the mean time, I swapped COPs' with cyl 1 & 2 to see if the code would follow. (think i posted that above)

the truck still breaks up at high rpms, but so far no CEL until today. Got the CEL to flash and I was going to read the code when I got home, but apparently it didn't get stored? popped in the xcal2 and "no DCT's found". wtf?

I'm really thinking it's the COP or injector at this point. the truck runs fine at normal driving. if it was the plug, I would be missing all the time, right? maybe it's just the COP or injector that can't keep up at higher rpms?

Big Slick 01-23-2011 01:20 PM

small update:

got the truck to throw a code again today and it stored it. P0301, which means that it's more than likely the COP that I swapped with cyl 1 & 2. Still going to do the plugs soon, but I'm relieved I don't have to screw around with injector issues.