2004 - 2008 F-150

Steering mods and Drive Shaft Mods on 12" List?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering mods and Drive Shaft Mods on 12" List?

Truck: 2008 F150 FX4, 5.4L, Rize 12" Lift, w/Traction Bars, Toyo 40x15.5x20
Truck is mostly used on the street

Are Steering mods required on 12" Rize Lift running 40"
If so what and who would you recommend?

Are front and rear Drive Shaft mods required on 12" Rize Lift running 40"
If so what and who would you recommend?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Your missing a few big ticket items... In your last post you wanted coilovers, that is going to have to be custom made. You will also likely need to get custom made rear shocks (assuming you want high end shocks like the front coilovers); otherwise you can probably find a long enough generic shock and run the rise spacers up front and save some dough.

Another thing to look into that will extend the life of a certain front end component, the upper control arms is uni-ball upper control arms (camburg, total chaos). These will smooth out the ride and have a much longer life than the regular OE ball joint control arm.

You will also be looking at new rear leafs to make up all that height. Either full leaf packs for 12" of lift or a combination of smaller block and larger leaf pack (i.e. 8" springs and 4" block, etc..) If your running rize trac bars you need the 6" blocks, just fyi.

You don't need any steering modifications, but you will need to check the front end components (ball joints, etc..) vigorously since you are going to a large lift/heavy wheel/tire combo. You will need new brake lines (rize offers a kit).

You will need new driveshafts, likely front and rear. I'd check for local shops first so they can take all the masurements, do any axle shimming, and get it all correct for you. Otherwise you can order online, but you have to supply the measurements and installation.

I'm sure you have already considered other things like needing to regear and probably look into some custom tuning since your truck will likely be a slug running 40's. Tuning won't give massive improvements with a huge lift, but its better than the stock tune adjusted for just gear size and tire size..

Old 11-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice truck FX4life, do you have anymore photos? What is your build?

Thanks for your suggestions; sounds like I need to do more research.

Rize has front (2.5 in Coilover w/ reservoir) and rear (2.5 w/ reservoir) shocks and the Rear Springs. Gears are part of the build, would like to go with 5.13, but it is my understanding the only 4.88's are available.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by My F150
Thanks for your suggestions; sounds like I need to do more research.

Rize has front (2.5 in Coilover w/ reservoir) and rear (2.5 w/ reservoir) shocks and the Rear Springs. Gears are part of the build, would like to go with 5.13, but it is my understanding the only 4.88's are available.

Correct, 4.88 is the biggest that will fit. I have seen Rize's coils/shocks, but had not heard they got into springs too. I'm assuming that they have others make these things and brand them with Rize's name. Just for grins do some shopping before dropping all your coin with Rize, give Sonny a call at DownSouthMotorsports.com for your coils/shocks; he can do both King and Fox. Then Try Ben at national springs, or atlas springs if you want full 12" leaf packs (no need for trac bars at this point).

The only reason I suggest shopping around is if I was betting Rize's stuff cost a bit more than buying these things from others who deal in them everyday. It might not save you any money (probably cost the same or a bit more), but by going through someone like downsouthmotorsports for your shocks they are custom built to your specs, valved to your specs, and can even be colored however you want them. and the springs would be a similar deal, built to your specs (i.e. do you tow a lot or want a smooth ride, or both..). I personally prefer the 'custom' touch over generic, off the shelf stuff. Trust me there is a huge difference between the two!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
AWESOME Truck FX4life

Good to have sources when doing custom builds, learn from the experienced

Do you still have the truck?
Did you have any front or rear drive shaft mods done?
Did you have any engine or trasmission work done?
Aside from the Camburg Upper control arms, any other steering upgrades?
How many miles did you start and what do you have now?

Thanks for the tips. My research continues

Old 11-25-2010, 09:14 PM

AWESOME Truck FX4life

Good to have sources when doing custom builds, learn from the experienced

Do you still have the truck? Yes

Did you have any front or rear drive shaft mods done? Both are custom built steel driveshafts. I get them checked, rebalanced, and Ujoints done yearly because its cheap insurance

Did you have any engine or trasmission work done? No, just the 'big 3': exhaust, intake, custom tuned

Aside from the Camburg Upper control arms, any other steering upgrades?No, Rize does a good enough job with the linear slide rack. Ask anyone that has made the jump from OE upper control arms to Uni-*****, its a HUGE difference.

How many miles did you start and what do you have now? Lift has been on for for just about 65k, trucks at 77k right now. No major issues to speak of for the last 4 years. this year is a different story, things are starting to wear thin and show their face. I expected at least one major overhaul in the life of this truck with the lift though. I plan on a new truck when this one hits 100k, i'll probably just park this one at the shop. i just can't let anyone else have it

Thanks for the tips. My research continues
answers in bold

Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Who built your drive shafts and who does your drive shaft maintenance?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Who built your drive shafts and who does your drive shaft maintenance?
Local place; Amarillo clutch and driveline

Old 11-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Love your Tonka Badge Who made that for you?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:53 AM

Love your Tonka Badge Who made that for you?
Billet badges. Sadly thanks to ford and others going after him he won't produce name brand stuff anymore.. I wanted to get a set as a backup when I had the truck repainted and he said he couldn't anymore

Old 11-26-2010, 12:04 PM
That sucks

SO Cool Tonka on a badge

Old 11-26-2010, 12:15 PM

That sucks

SO Cool Tonka on a badge
He made quiet a few actually before companies went after him. The badges add a uniqueness to the truck, I have been brainstorming a good name/theme for the next truck. I was going to do a "tonka II" type thing cause I love it too but looks shot down unless I machine them myself..

Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
The guy who may do my build said he knows of a guy who makes custom badges. I will check with him.

Quick Reply: Steering mods and Drive Shaft Mods on 12" List?