2004 - 2008 F-150

Driver Heat Seat doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Heat Seat doesnt work

When i press the button the two red lights illuminate for a second and go right back off. The passenger side heated seat works perfectly fine. Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 PM
no one has an idea?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Is your truck a 1998? If it is you might get more responses in that area?
One usual suspect is a relay under the hood that needs replacing. It is overloading. The second place to look, which is more work would be a broke grid on the heated mat in the seat.Look for the relay first.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
no its not a 1998. i havent updated my thing yet. i just bought a 06 screw fx4 last week.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Alright, check the fuse but I don't think that its because the lights are coming on. What it sounds like to me is a short somewhere, but get your owners manual out and check the fuse first and see if there is any info about those things in there. I love my heated seats but its aggravating having to keep turning them on every 20 min.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
alright. ill check that fuse shortly. the passenger seats work fine. the driver seat just turns and and a split second later goes right off.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
That's really weird. Hopefully its just a fuse.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by fatty4x4
One usual suspect is a relay under the hood that needs replacing. It is overloading. The second place to look, which is more work would be a broke grid on the heated mat in the seat.Look for the relay first.
Now that I think of it the relay in your truck might be under the seat clipped to the bottom. The power travels through the fuse then to the relay. The relay trips like a timer shutting the power after a certain length. When these go bad they trip early. Not an expensive part. Good Luck let us know how you make out.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Now that I think of it the relay in your truck might be under the seat clipped to the bottom. The power travels through the fuse then to the relay. The relay trips like a timer shutting the power after a certain length. When these go bad they trip early. Not an expensive part. Good Luck let us know how you make out.
get a volt meter check to see if you have power to relay i think the relay is part of the timer so its possible its bad timer well anyway check to see where you are getting power and were not

Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
the two fuses are good that go with the heated seats. is the relay going to stick out underneath this seat or is it going to be inside something? ill try and find it tomorrow cause i dont have to work.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 PM
i did a search maybe this will help SSCULLY gave a diagram it might point you in the right direction here is the link .

http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...t-trouble.html

Old 11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner here !!! ( at least close enough to what happens )

The heated seats have a tenancy to burn through the wire right where your thigh would be on the seat bottom.

Ford uses a single element through the seat bottom, that is hooked in series with the seat back, and 1 fault in the entire circuit, the seat turns on, and then shuts right back off. The heated seat module is what turns the element on, and controls the temp shut off. The LED on the seated seat button is the status reported back from the heated seat module.
This is why the status LED turns on and shuts right back off, it cannot find the heated seat element, and rather than risk starting a fire, power is shut off.

BTW: No relay with the seated seats, line voltage right to the seated seat module. The switch turns the heated seat module on & Off.

Quick test, unplug the heated seat module, and use a meter to check resistance of the heated seat element ( diagram in the thread above ). You will see a high resistance, but it should not show as open ( or a close to 0 ohm reading ). Watch your meter scale setting when testing this, you will need at least the K or M range ( 1,000 or 1,000,000 ).

Last edited by SSCULLY; 11-19-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner here !!! ( at least close enough to what happens )

The heated seats have a tenancy to burn through the wire right where your thigh would be on the seat bottom.

Ford uses a single element through the seat bottom, that is hooked in series with the seat back, and 1 fault in the entire circuit, the seat turns on, and then shuts right back off. The heated seat module is what turns the element on, and controls the temp shut off. The LED on the seated seat button is the status reported back from the heated seat module.
This is why the status LED turns on and shuts right back off, it cannot find the heated seat element, and rather than risk starting a fire, power is shut off.

BTW: No relay with the seated seats, line voltage right to the seated seat module. The switch turns the heated seat module on & Off.

Quick test, unplug the heated seat module, and use a meter to check resistance of the heated seat element ( diagram in the thread above ). You will see a high resistance, but it should not show as open ( or a close to 0 ohm reading ). Watch your meter scale setting when testing this, you will need at least the K or M range ( 1,000 or 1,000,000 ).
alright. i will test this tomorrow. i had a paintball tourny today. is there any easy way to get under the seat. when i was looking at it the other day its so crowded and cluttered.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trhlz1222
alright. i will test this tomorrow. i had a paintball tourny today. is there any easy way to get under the seat. when i was looking at it the other day its so crowded and cluttered.
Nope, strain & Stretch. The only other way to to unbold the seat. I find it best to move the seat all the way forward in my '06 SCrew, and lay on the back floor to do something with it.

I added a momentary DPDT rocker switch to the side of the console, to operate the passenger power seat forward / reverse action ( in addition to the factory one ), and this is the easiest way I figured out to install the 2 relays under there with the wiring changes.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
ok. i tested the white with light blue wire and the yellow with light blue wire and my meter didnt read any resistance at all. i messed with it for about 15 minutes making sure i wasnt messing it up.

Quick Reply: Driver Heat Seat doesnt work