2004 - 2008 F-150

New to the site

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the site

Ok I am new to this site and I'm already in love with it. I have been an F150 owner since I was 15. My first was a 59, although it may have been an F100, then a 99, and while i was home on leave from afghanistan i traded my 99 in on an 07 model. i am so impressed with the 07 model. my 99 was a fabulous truck, i had no complaints, but the 07 is still leaps and bounds beyond the 99.

to get to the point, i just ordered a rough country 2.5 inch leveling kit. now i know many of you are going to chastise me for not getting the AS setup for 30 dollars less, but i did my homework and always loved my rough country setup i had on my 89 grand wagoneer. that being said, does anybody know if there are any details of this install that might bite me in the a** if i don't get them right in the process? i know there are threads on here about this system, but most of them are comparisons from this setup to others, and my concerns are very specific.

i also am in the process of procuring a set of OEM 17 inch rims that i plan to wrap in 33X12.50 BFG AT KO's.

Other future mods include welding in a flowmaster 40 series in the stock location, mossy oak rear window graphics, mossy oak rocker panel accents, and marathon custom seat covers in, of course, mossy oak. It will be a while but I also plan on adding a tuner/chip, sound system, aluminum bed box, and incorporated navigation system. If anybody has any advice on any of these things listed above I am sure open to hearing it. Look forward to any of your input. And i should be back in the states in a month or so to start the whole process, pics will come as i progress.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ANY leveling kit from ANY manufacturer is simply a solid spacer, plain and simple. To spend anymore money on one brand vs. another is nonsense. There is no such thing as a reliability issue with a solid spacer, no moving parts.

That being said, there is a very good thread on this site on the complete installation of a spacer. It was done with the AS, but as stated above, it would hold true for ANY since they are just a solid spacer. There is nothing to really be forewarned about since you're simply placing a spacer in between the strut and it's mount.

Mine took me roughly an hour and a half to two hours max.

BTW, welcome to the site and good luck on your install.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Id make sure you have a big breaker bar for the lower shock bolt.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by wes1333
Id make sure you have a big breaker bar for the lower shock bolt.
Thanks wes, will make sure i have one available.

And as for the other post, I'm not the least bit concerned about reliability, as you said, they are all more or less the same. However, rough country has a reputation for great customer service, and i have experienced this personally. To me, there are a lot of things that can go wrong, i.e. missing or broken parts in my kit, defective parts, or shipping errors. In light of these things and the fact that i have seen rough country personally stand behind their products and their services, i find it hard to consider brand loyalty to be nonsense. i'm not saying that any other manufacturer has problems in these areas, i'm just saying that for a mere 30 dollars, i prefer to take my business to rough country

no hard feelings, just a preference for me

Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM
The autospring kit is literally a hunk of steel and a few bolts. If it makes you feel better that you went with RC, then it's all well and good. At the end of the day, leveling kits are pretty much all the same, hunks of steel.

Get some pictures of your rig posted up!

- NCSU

Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks for serving and welcome to the site!

Quick Reply: New to the site