2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP - Ford wants $800 for 90k maintenance. Educate me! (04 FX4 SCREW)

Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation dfgdfgdfg

fdgsedfgsdf

Last edited by AAK625; 07-20-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there was another one of these thread a while ago, and the consensus was that no, it wasn't worth it.

Me thinks the only thing in the list that I'd perform would be the transmission exchange (4th item on list). I think those are like 125-150ish for just that. The fuel filter you can replace yourself (I think there's an article on it).

Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You need to have the coolant flushed, the 4x4 cases fluid changed, the transmission flushed or serviced at some point. These things can be spread out a little though, over the next 20,000 or so miles. You can do the fuel filter yourself, for sure but that needs to be done about every 30,000. The rest of it is fluff.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dfgdfg

Last edited by AAK625; 07-20-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, you can do a bunch of that stuff on your own (like the fuel filter. There's an article on here, takes you like 15minutes to do). But maybe take it to a reputable mechanic shop around your area to have them do the work, it wouldn't be really different than if you were at the dealership. Then if you just specify exact stuff you want done and how you want it done it should save some $$$. Like I went to a mechanic in Austin when I was going to get my tranny fluid changed and was very specific on what I wanted them to use.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Alot of that is BS created by the dealership, NOT from Ford. No manufacturer would recommend any additive like an "engine friction saver." Also, all of the "inspections" on the list are most likely done every time a shop changes your oil. They make nothing on the oil change so they look for other problems to upsell. It is their job. So it makes no sense to pay for it now.

I would assume we have the same scheduled maintenance guides as we both have 04's.
At 90k under the normal schedule mine says:
1 - change oil
2 - replace air filter
3 - change trans fluid
4 - replace fuel filter
5 - replace cabin air filter if equipped (I don't have one)
6 - check a bunch of stuff

Last edited by ford norseman; 06-12-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM
just had a lot of this stuff done recently. I would ask the dealer what they mean or what is done with the fuel saver or crankcase service.

(these are actually the best prices I found here locally)
tranny flush should run about 150-180
fron/rear diff is about 150 each. I didn't have my front done.
xfer case is 50
coolant flush 70

I need to check price on brake and steering fluid flush.

If you get your truck worked on they should do all that checking and inspection without charge.

The fuel filter at the parts store is around 10-15 bucks and the tool is about 10 bucks. It can be done fairly easily and quickly. I'm about to do mine.

Just do a search on all the service you require. If you put some effort into it you can save a few hundred bucks.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Sounds like fluff to me. I would do what the guys said above, I just got my transmission flushed now at 70k, and had him check my ball joints. I will never go to a stealership for maintenance work unless it's under warranty and it's free. They are not mechanics or technicians they are installers they most of the time just look in a book to do a specific job

Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
At 90k, the only thing I'd do is an oil change, fuel filter change, and air filter change.

At 100K, I'd get a tranny fluid change with a machine, change the fluid in the transfer case and both diffs, flush the cooling system, and change the spark plugs.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Go on line and look for discounts and coupons for these services. You can save a lot of dollars this way.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
This is always a fun conversation. Sounds like they are trying to take you for a ride. Most of the stuff on that list is no where in the Ford service schedule.

This is what Ford says should be done at 90K miles:

90,000 Mile Service Schedule

Change automatic transmission fluid
Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)
Replace fuel filter
Perform multi-point inspection
Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
Replace engine air filter
Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 quarts of oil. Perform at specified mileage interval or every 6 months, whichever occurs first)
Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise

I would find another dealership to deal with.

Also, some people keep confusing a fluid change with a flush. They are two different things. A fluid change is just that; drain the fluid and refill. There is no flushing of the entire system. As you can see, Ford doesnt say anything about flushing any system. Change the fluid and keep on riding.

Here is the link for the schedules according to Ford: https://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Con...CalProcessPage

Old 06-13-2010, 01:00 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
There are no drain plugs on the tranny. Dropping the pan only gets about 5 quarts out, the whole system holds about 14. To "change" the fluid completely, you need an exchange machine. People confuse an exchange with a flush because the same machine can be used for either - a flush pumps solvent through which you do NOT want.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

change tranny fluid, change brake fluid, change power steering fluid, change 4x4 transfer case fluid if equiped, change rear diff fluid...

Ive been slowly getting mine done everytime I end up taking the truck in (free synthetic oil changes) this upcomming trip I will be having the brake fluid changed and power steering fluid changed.

Each fluid flush from Ford is usually in the 80-150 range.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 AM
"perform PREMIUM...whatever" Ask them for giggles what the difference is for the "regular" version.

I took my truck in for a second PATS key, and 10 minutes later some guy comes to get me... He walks me into the bay where they have my truck on a lift?? He and the mechanic comence telling me about the $900.00 of work I need to have done so the truck won't fall apart when I drive home!!

It started like this;

"All of the brake pads are shot"- Really? I just put them on last week. Please check them with your Ford gauge. ...They ARE still OK? Ooops!

"But the fluid needs changing"- Sorry, I did that when I replaced the pads. (Try again).

"Well, the rotors really need to be turned. If we do it today we should be able to save them."- From what? I ask. "You see this rust here?" (on the outer circumfrance) "That's gonna cause problems soon if the rotors aren't turned."

And on and on..., Can you please take my truck down? Thank you.

This was very annoying to me. At least I got my second key.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I'd do the fuel filter at 90K. Simple job, take maybe 20 minutes to do. Air filter I do every other oil change(every 10K), oil change every 5K, check my other fluids(trans, power steering, brake, and coolant) and if any need attention, I take care of it. Also check my serpentine belt for cracks or signs of wear. Check my brakes every oil change or if for some reason I notice anything about them(sounds, pulsation, etc). I also shake down the front end to check balljoints, tie rods, and wheel bearings, as well as check the driveshaft for play in the u-joints.

I'll probably do my spark plugs this week since I don't know when they were last done. I bought the truck with 56K on it and I'm almost to 70K now. May also do a fuel filter with my oil change at 70K, again, don't know when or if it's been done.

Just keep an eye on things with your vehicles and take care of issues when they come up, as well as routine maintenance, and your vehicle will last a LONG time.

This is what I tell customers at work every day. Most agree, but some don't give a damn and just let their cars fall apart under them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP - Ford wants $800 for 90k maintenance. Educate me! (04 FX4 SCREW)