2004 - 2008 F-150

Official what did you do to your truck today thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have hardly touched mine. Last time was a week ago when the updated insurance policy card came in the mail . Kind of expecting it to be dead again when I go and try to start it. Since getting the Trans Am I have lost interest in the truck for now. Still glad I have it though, and it needs some work still and it's gonna get it and remain with me a bit longer! Earlier this month marked 4th year with the truck. That is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I have hardly touched mine. Last time was a week ago when the updated insurance policy card came in the mail . Kind of expecting it to be dead again when I go and try to start it. Since getting the Trans Am I have lost interest in the truck for now. Still glad I have it though, and it needs some work still and it's gonna get it and remain with me a bit longer! Earlier this month marked 4th year with the truck. That is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle.
I know how you feel -- mine is sitting in the garage right now with a thick layer of dust over it. This past year I had such a hellish workload at my job that I didn't get to play with my cars at all. In fact, I think the last time I had my F-150 out on the road was last June when I took it down for it's annual safety inspection.....

Well it's June once more, so I'll be getting it out again soon to go get my annual inspection -- my plan is to drive it a lot more this summer and at least burn the existing tank of fuel out of it. Next tank I am going to fill with 93 and finally install my Troyer tune to see what it does to the truck!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in....that should help....hopefully....

Old 05-31-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Darren, you should get yourself a good battery maintainer like a Deltran Battery Tender Plus or something similar so you can keep it from draining down when your not useing the truck. I have one connected to every one of my vehicles 24/7 since I don't use them much either but when I do there Always ready to go. Plus I don't think it's too healthy for the battery to drain till dead and constantly re-charge it. Either way a maintainer would just simplify your life.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLD FLARED 281
dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in....that should help....hopefully....
Do they have Techron in Canada? If so, that's the best stuff you could add to your tank every few months. It'll keep them clean.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Do they have Techron in C*****? If so, that's the best stuff you could add to your tank every few months. It'll keep them clean.
never looked for it, i'd imagine I could find it....always just went with normal cleaner and it makes a fine difference. haven't done it in too long, thinking that's the cause of my poor fuel mileage.....should probably do maf and throttle body next time I'm home too

Old 05-31-2015, 12:12 PM

never looked for it, i'd imagine I could find it....always just went with normal cleaner and it makes a fine difference. haven't done it in too long, thinking that's the cause of my poor fuel mileage.....should probably do maf and throttle body next time I'm home too
Yeah definitely try cleaning those. I clean mine yearly and it's easy. Just pick up a can of TB cleaner and a can of MAF cleaner.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Yeah definitely try cleaning those. I clean mine yearly and it's easy. Just pick up a can of TB cleaner and a can of MAF cleaner.
oh I do it already, way more than yearly. time to do it again....it always makes a big difference, did it after 6 months one time I recall and gained 3 mpg....adding almost as much weight as the truck could carry about the same time. so many people ignore stuff like this......and it does so much

getting 10 and 11 mpg lately

Old 05-31-2015, 12:26 PM

oh I do it already, way more than yearly. time to do it again....it always makes a big difference, did it after 6 months one time I recall and gained 3 mpg....adding almost as much weight as the truck could carry about the same time. so many people ignore stuff like this......and it does so much

getting 10 and 11 mpg lately
Really? Even cleaning mine yearly, the TB not dirty at all. I spray the MAF, but it never looks to have dust on it. And that's about 15k miles too. My mpgs don't change at all, I just figure it's preventative maintanence.

I also change the fuel and air filters at the same time I do this.

Since new, I've always gotten 14-17 city and 19-21 highway.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Really? Even cleaning mine yearly, the TB not dirty at all. I spray the MAF, but it never looks to have dust on it. And that's about 15k miles too. My mpgs don't change at all, I just figure it's preventative maintanence.

I also change the fuel and air filters at the same time I do this.

Since new, I've always gotten 14-17 city and 19-21 highway.
wouldn't lie to ya haha

ive never done fuel filters but changed the air filter soon after getting the truck at 79K in oct 2013.....the old one was pretty well black.....that made a difference too

I went from 8-9mpg to 21 one time.....granted I did remove some weight but that couldn't have been all of it

Old 05-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tg150
Darren, you should get yourself a good battery maintainer like a Deltran Battery Tender Plus or something similar so you can keep it from draining down when your not useing the truck. I have one connected to every one of my vehicles 24/7 since I don't use them much either but when I do there Always ready to go. Plus I don't think it's too healthy for the battery to drain till dead and constantly re-charge it. Either way a maintainer would just simplify your life.
X2 -- I even have the solar operated ones hooked up on the two cars I have stashed away in storage units. Just threw the panel up on the roof top in such a way that it can't blow off and then fished the 25' extension wire down into the unit through the integrated gutter of the building.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM

wouldn't lie to ya haha

ive never done fuel filters but changed the air filter soon after getting the truck at 79K in oct 2013.....the old one was pretty well black.....that made a difference too

I went from 8-9mpg to 21 one time.....granted I did remove some weight but that couldn't have been all of it
I'm not doubting you at all. That's just a pretty serious mpg jump. Is your TB or MAF getting dirtier than normal? With yearly cleaning, my TB only has the slightest barely noticeable layer on it. Are you using an oiled air filter? Definitely do the fuel filter and pcv too! Have you done the plugs and cops on it?

8-9 to 21 is huge! Haha. I'm guessing they were both equally mixed city/highway driving?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm not doubting you at all. That's just a pretty serious mpg jump. Is your TB or MAF getting dirtier than normal? With yearly cleaning, my TB only has the slightest barely noticeable layer on it. Are you using an oiled air filter? Definitely do the fuel filter and pcv too! Have you done the plugs and cops on it?

8-9 to 21 is huge! Haha. I'm guessing they were both equally mixed city/highway driving?
I suppose they were both equally mixed, probably close enough. I just sorta fill up when I think I should, and calculate. haha

no oiled filter, just stock replacement...haven't done plugs or cops. the maf and tb haven't been overly dirty except the first time, but a little bit make a fair difference I find. the drastic jump was part weight off loading i'm sure, but not all.

I'm curious to see what difference I can get when the new truck shows up- cause I bet she'll never have been cleaned in those parts

Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 PM
OK, so glad I found this thread, because it seems like I do something to my F-150 everyday. Most of the time it is some sort of customizing, but lately its been some sort of performance problems.
Friday, I shredded a fan belt. I didn't think much of it because it has been several years since I've replaced it. So, I went to the Zone and picked up another, installed that night. Today while taking 2 trips to the dump, I hear that same noise from Friday,
I make it home, pop the hood and sure enough another shredded belt. After further inspection, I realize the 200amp alternator that I replaced two months ago, is a 6 groove, and my truck takes 7 groove belts. It took two months for the 1st belt to shred(Gatorback) and 48 hours for the Autozone belt to shred.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 AM
Dash was put back together yesterday and the truck got it's first wash as well! Hopefully this week big changes will happen to the truck!

Quick Reply: Official what did you do to your truck today thread.