2004 - 2008 F-150

Gotts-EZ Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gotts-EZ Mod

Ok, after reading all the various way you folks have done this, I took the plunge. However, with a very slight difference in going about it. My truck is a 2004 F150 SCab FX4 with only 54,000 miles.

To put it quite simple you need only one part for this mod. That part is the Speed by Spectre - Air Ducting Part # 8741 (number different if colored other than black) http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0&keyword=8741. It comes with rubber connectors/couplings on both ends, with a slightly narrower section that will fit perfectly into both the main body of the original 2004-2008 air intake and the oblong fender holes.

Simply work the Spectre (expanding bellows completely compressed) 3" hose to fill the rubber coupling that will go in to the abs plastic air intake, the work the coupling into the ABS plastic intake up to the larger section of coupling that will keep it from going too far in. Next you will then work the proper amount of the Spectre tubing (compressed once again) through the end that will go through both the inner and outer fender holes (use the measurement of the original fender grommet to the snorkel end and add maybe a 1/4"), then work the coupling into the fender hole up to the larger section of the coupling. The excess Specter tubing sticking through this coupling should get you through both holes and take care of the leaves that may get sucked etc. The rubber connectors are identical on both ends of the Spectre hose, just make sure you have the two large ends of the coupling facing each other. Once these are pushed in tightly they will not pull out easily. Also, you will notice in my pics that it leaves almost 3" of compressed hose next to the ABS plastic stock intake to compensate for any engine twisting for torque caused by hard acceleration or towing.

Now I added a stainless clamp to the end the original ABS plastic intake opening, and tightened it down just for piece of mind. However, I can say this ... I removed it twice (prior to the clamp addition) making the adjustments I wanted to the hose to get it through both fender holes and it was pretty hard to remove either end once pushed into the holes completely without the clamp, so the clamp is really not needed. Mainly I just wanted the plastic end to look cleaner.

As you can see from the pics below, I did not use any home depot or lowes downspouts etc, I used only the $19.99 Spectre hose and it took almost no time at all. Yes, you can do it a dollar or two cheaper, but this was one stop, one piece and very clean.

As for results, not exactly sure yet as I am waiting for my replacement Edge Evo to be returned from Edge, as my original one kept losing it's memory and having to have it's external memory re-flashed, so the good folks at edge are replacing it.

Here are a few pics and if I do say so myself it looks much cleaner.

I tried to add this to the original How To Thread, but was unable to. With that said I hope the administration and the rest of you good folks do not mind my me adding my version of this little mod to the forums.

Last edited by Tazfords; 08-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I like it, and less time grinding down the end of the ABS pipe. That took me forever to get it just right. That is very clean.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hate to be the bearer of bad news but this system is already on this forum. but thanks for your time, the pictures and info anyways

Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by NJLARIAT
hate to be the bearer of bad news but this system is already on this forum. but thanks for your time, the pictures and info anyways
ummm, yep I know it is and was, hence my addition to the end of the thread of this (I tried to add this to the original How To Thread, but was unable to. With that said I hope the administration and the rest of you good folks do not mind my me adding my version of this little mod to the forums). ... guessing you did not read the whole post.

As for this exact way it was done, I searched and did not find it on here except with using the downspouts from Lowes etc., which I do not. Read the how to and find the exact way I did it ... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...04-2008-a.html If it is there, then excuse me for adding useless info for you to read.

BTW, thanks Desert Rat for your positive post, even knowing you have seen similar before.

Last edited by Tazfords; 08-14-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Looks good. The only reason I decided against this style of gotts mod is because I felt that the accordian style tubing wouldnt be a tight fit in the fender wall. How tight is it in there?

Good job on it though, your engine bay looks CLEAN.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by BIG DOG D
Looks good. The only reason I decided against this style of gotts mod is because I felt that the accordian style tubing wouldnt be a tight fit in the fender wall. How tight is it in there?

Good job on it though, your engine bay looks CLEAN.
Here's the deal the flex tubing just fits through the fender wall. However, the rubber coupling has to be pushed down a tad as you push it into the first section of the fender, once in it actually holds to the sharp edges of the fender wall as it expands back to it's rounded shape. You can pull it out, but it will take a bit of working to get it out without tearing up the rubber coupling. Now, if I person just wanted to go a step further a small "L" bracket could be screwed to the coupling and the fender to hold it permanently in place. Of course you would want to put this on the side of the coupling facing the cab of the truck to hide it. The additional amount of the flex tubing I pulled through the rubber coupling goes all the way through the second fender hole and is actually tight enough that there are no rattles etc. I have stomped down on the truck pretty hard several times and so far neither end has moved the slightest bit. I think you'd just about have to break a motor support for it to move lol.

Thanks, I do do not believe the truck has ever really been off the highway, until I got it a few months back. As it looks pretty clean underneath to be an '04.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Tazfords,
I stopped by O'Reilly Auto today. They only carry one model. I thought there might have been some subtle differences for various vehicles and was expecting to see a few different ones offered there.
Is all of this effort done from under the hood, or does one need to access the inside of the fender to get to the 2nd hole in the fender?
Thanks

Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 PM
All under the hood buddy. O'Reilly's had a chrome one when I picked up the black one. But I am not much into chrome, besides it was almost 2 times the price. lol

Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Man. Yeah, I saw the chrome one as well. My truck has more of a black package vs. chrome.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Just make sure you work enough of the flex tubing through the rubber coupling, so that once it is compressed it will fill the coupling and still reach through the inner fender compressed also. Being compressed inside that coupling is what gives it the rigidity to fit snugly into the hole and stay. I should have taken a pic of the couplings etc before the install to show that the flex is compressed fully in the coupling as well as several inches past the coupling. If you look at the left coupling (where I used the clamp) the flex is fully compressed in the coupling to give it strength, then is compressed several more inches toward the fender before being stretched out. Once at the fender coupling it is also fully compressed inside the coupling, as well as having several inches compressed past the coupling to reach fully through both fender walls. Basically what you see in the pics on the left coupling is almost the same on the right coupling with the exception of the coupling direction, the only uncompressed flex is between the two couplings ... leaving several inches compressed for movement of the engine under torque.

yeah, is why I stuck with the black also.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
That does look real clean.....

I've been meaning to do the Gott's mod on my '05 and may have to run down to O'Reilly and pick one of these kit's up! I wonder if any of the custom tuners (Troyer, PHP, etc.) have run this mod on a truck and calculated how much air intake it adds over stock so their tunes can be dialed-in to work with this set-up.....

Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tazfords
ummm, yep I know it is and was, hence my addition to the end of the thread of this (I tried to add this to the original How To Thread, but was unable to. With that said I hope the administration and the rest of you good folks do not mind my me adding my version of this little mod to the forums). ... guessing you did not read the whole post.

As for this exact way it was done, I searched and did not find it on here except with using the downspouts from Lowes etc., which I do not. Read the how to and find the exact way I did it ... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...04-2008-a.html If it is there, then excuse me for adding useless info for you to read.

BTW, thanks Desert Rat for your positive post, even knowing you have seen similar before.
Taz, sorry you took it as a negative post, it was not my intention and not who i am. i thanked you for your time and info. but i can see how you took it that way. once again i apologize and it was not my intention.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazfords
Ok, after reading all the various way you folks have done this, I took the plunge. However, with a very slight difference in going about it. My truck is a 2004 F150 SCab FX4 with only 54,000 miles.

To put it quite simple you need only one part for this mod. That part is the Speed by Spectre - Air Ducting Part # 8741 (number different if colored other than black) http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0&keyword=8741. It comes with rubber connectors/couplings on both ends, with a slightly narrower section that will fit perfectly into both the main body of the original 2004-2008 air intake and the oblong fender holes.

... etc ...
Great post ....

Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by NJLARIAT
Taz, sorry you took it as a negative post, it was not my intention and not who i am. i thanked you for your time and info. but i can see how you took it that way. once again i apologize and it was not my intention.

No apology needed buddy, it's already out of the memory bank. I myself may have been a bit over sensitive about it.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
That does look real clean.....

I've been meaning to do the Gott's mod on my '05 and may have to run down to O'Reilly and pick one of these kit's up! I wonder if any of the custom tuners (Troyer, PHP, etc.) have run this mod on a truck and calculated how much air intake it adds over stock so their tunes can be dialed-in to work with this set-up.....
I couldn't say for certain, but I would imagine they are on top of it and if not could work something up rather quickly if contacted. I have an Edge Evo that is being replaced by Edge, and will see how it does hopefully by next week sometime. I have even considered once getting the Edge back sending it to PHP and having the Gryphon conversion done, so that may be something I learn more about in the near future.

Quick Reply: Gotts-EZ Mod