2004 - 2008 F-150

Pads, Rotors, IWE's, Bilsteins and AIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pads, Rotors, IWE's, Bilsteins and AIR

Spent yesterday putting on some new rotors and pads.
(2006 F150 Lariat 4WD - 65,000 mi)

Spent some time today replacing both actuators and the 4WD solenoid.

The Bilsteins will be here Tuesday.

Rotors were warped and brakes were horrible. I bought Wagner rotors and had them cryogenically treated by a local guy. I went with Performance Friction carbon metalic pads. Result.........fantastic so far and eventhing is working perfectly..........man is it nice. I've been fighting the brakes for 6-8 months. I just hope I cured the dust problem.

Passenger actuator was out. While I was at it, I replaced both actuators and the solenoid. 4WD finally works the way it's supposed to.

Bilsteins 5100s will be here Tuesday and should be in before the end of the week. I have someone lined up to compress the springs.

AIR - the best project I've ever done on any vehicle. So tired of those 2-bit compressors that want $$ to use........and they never work. It's so hard to find air when you need it. Those wally world cigarette lighter jobs are about as bad. I've been through many of those.

SO.......I installed a compressor under the hood, piped in a 3 gallon aluminum tank mounted on the passenger frame rail...............and ran hose to the rear bumper where I mounted a quick connect. Now anytime I want air I just plug an air hose to my bumper. The compressor is wired in with a relay and a pressure switch on the tank shut the compressor off at 105 psi and on at 85psi. I've been reading about systems like this for several years and finally built one.

Friday while driving on the interstate.......I found a LA State Trooper on the side of the interstate with a low tire (he had the manual out trying to figure out where his spare was). A second trooper pulled up..........as I stopped and asked if they could use some air. When I pulled the 35' coil hose and plugged it into my bumper they almost fell out. One of them had to look the whole system over.

Only problem..........now my son wants me to help him put one in his truck

Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pics of your compressor setup, I would like to install one on my truck. How much does something like that cost to install yourself?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Blang: Currently no pics. I plan on posting some pics and a write-up in the next week or two.

My pump..... $60 (Superflow MV50 or MasterFlow MF-1050)
http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5.../dp/B000BM8RT8

My tank...... $75
http://www.baak2basics.com/catalog/p...94bde2630993f0

My pressure switch....$22
http://www.kmwperformance.com/product/AL24544

The rest is all wiring, hose, connectors, etc. In my case, I probably spent $200 on hose, connectors, mounting hardware, wiring etc. This will depend on what you have laying around or find from a friend/neighbor........and.....how you want your system positioned and layed out.

The pump mentioned above can be bought at O'Reillys, Pep Boys, and dozens of places online. It comes in a neat bag with coil air hose w/ quick connects, alligator clips, etc. ready to throw on the back seat as emergency air. I cut the alligator clips for hardwiring, bolted under the hood, and re-tapped the air output for 1/4" NPT. I then ran 3/8" hose to the tank on the frame rail and on to the bumper where I have a quick connect right on the side of the license plate. (NOTE: No cigarette lighter here.......this pump requires 30 amps........you'll have to go battery direct or high amp power supply.........thus.....the stock large alligator clips.)

My brother bought a canned Viair system off ebay for about $200-$250. But I like my pump, tank, hose and connectors, etc. much better than his canned system. My aluminum tank is lighter and resistant to rust. My pump has better specs than the Viair in my brothers kit.

Canned systems are put out by Kilby, Viair, ExtremeAire, ARB, and probably a few others.

Putting a system together like this is really pretty easy but does take some time. I spent months collecting info and researching pumps, tanks, etc. and planning how I wanted to set it up.

But now ........... anytime I need air I just plug in my hose. This is great!!

Last edited by duckduke; 01-25-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a great mod!
Looking forward for the write up and pix.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Sounds great! Would love to see some pics. I have been wanting to do the same but also as you stated don't like the pre made systems.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Time for some train horns to use the air properly.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM
sounds pretty sweet! cant wait to see some pics!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
i am going to do this.. where are the pics and write up???

Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 AM

I really appreciate all the interest. I'm doing my best to get info online ASAP. I've made a write up..........just need to take some pics and add em in.

Right now my front is on jacks.....my struts are out and my spings are being set on my Bilsteins in the AM. While under the truck tonight I found I just sprung a new leak in my pinion seal so parts are being picked up for the repair in the AM as well.

Again.....thanks for the interest......working fast I can to get it online.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 AM

OK............HERE's a short version.

1) Take this compressor: http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5.../dp/B000BM8RT8
mount it under the hood, cut the aligator clips off and wire it to the battery through a relay (30 amp fuse inline).

2) Take this tank: http://www.baak2basics.com/catalog/p...94bde2630993f0
mount it on the outside passenger frame rail. You will probably need to plug a couple of holes on the tank unless you have other uses for them.

3) Use this pressure switch: http://store.gaugemagazine.com/105ps...ureswitch.aspx
on the tank to control the pressure.....shuts system down at 105psi and turn compressor on at 85psi. Use a switched low amp power source to feed a line to the switch. The other post on the switch will go to the relay.

4) Get some push-on hose, fittings, and quick connects and run some plumbing between the compressor and tank and on to your bumper.

The rest are details related to how/where I mounted everything. For instance......I used 3/8" ID hose/fittings, all 1/4" NPT for my entire install. The pictures will also provide a lot more info.

NOTE: Remove the air fittings on the pump and check the threads. It is not NPT. You will need to re-tap the pump to 1/4" NPT in order to use some standard fittings to hook everything up. To do this you should take the four allen screws off the top of the head unit and catch the shavings for removal.

Hope this helps til I get the rest online. Thanks again!!

Last edited by duckduke; 01-29-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Pads, Rotors, IWE's, Bilsteins and AIR