2004 - 2008 F-150

Scheduled Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scheduled Maintenance

Howdy,

I have right around 51,000 miles and the only maintenance I have done is change the oil/filter, air filter, and keep the fluids topped off. I just bought a new fuel filter so I plan on doing that as well.

Question is - the maintenance manual only talks about doing these things in addition to greasing any zerk fittings (as far as I know, the 2007 does not have any?) but it sounds like a lot of the dealers will tell you that more is needed such as a transmission flush etc. Do I need to take it to the dealer and let them do the whole slew of things or am I OK?

The manual says to change the rear diff fluid (Class A motorhome) at 50K. What does this mean?

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you don't do any heavy towing, I would have the transmission flush done and then have the other stuff such as brake fluid flush and coolant flush done at 100,000.

You really need to change the fuel filter about 15,000 to 20,000. Do it yourself and save a bunch!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 PM
I would get the tranny flushed and if you want to change the rear diff fluid, do it. Removing the cover on your differential is rather easy but will be messy and smelly. Also, this would be a great time to check the gears and clutches if you has a limited slip unit. If you have a LSD then you will also need some friction modifier to do in there to prevent chatter when turning. The manual as well as a tag on the diff will tell you what fluid to use. Also, getting a good rear end sealant and letting it settle before introducing fresh fluid and getting the cover cranked back on is essential to prevent leaks. I am a little confused as to the class a motorhome reference. I have never seen an '04-'08 F-150 as part of a class A. Some clarification is required please.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
The fuel filter should be a regular part of your maintenance routine. It's recommended at 15K, as I recall, and that should really be followed given the ethanol in today's gasoline and the summer blend gas.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 PM
decent info

Quick Reply: Scheduled Maintenance