2004 - 2008 F-150

How does one fix a loose wire in the radio wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does one fix a loose wire in the radio wiring harness?

If a speaker wire connection was loose inside the radio wiring harness causing occasional static sound, how does one go about fixing it? Can Ford do this without screwing something else up? Would an car audio place be better? It looks pretty clear that replacing the entire harness is not an option. Getting down in there with conventional tools, is not possible either.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
More than likely its the radio itself, not the harness. You still running the factory HU? Ford radios are crap.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:51 PM
No, it's definitely the wire. Like the song goes...when I wiggle it, just a little bit...it gives some static. I noticted it when installing my P.I.E. some time ago. It's been that way for a long time. It's not terrible. Only happens off and on. But if I keep my truck, I want to fix it.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 AM
i had problems with the harness clip,one of the prongs was bent,inside the clip

Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Wire

Without see it, this is just general info. In a couple of previous vehicles I had to fix the connectors. On those there was a small tab that held the wire in the connector, took a special tool to slip over the male end and depress the tab, then you could pull the wire out of the connector. Clipped off that end, got a new one from an electronics store and crimped on a new one and pushed it back into the connector. Hardest part was figuring out how to get the first wire out of the connector, then it was a piece of cake.

Paul

Quick Reply: How does one fix a loose wire in the radio wiring harness?