2004 - 2008 F-150

spark plug lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spark plug lawsuit

So..... has anyone clicked on the law firm ad on this site and filled out the attorney form regarding the spark plug problems you have experienced, or spoken with the firm ?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've experienced no spark plug problems.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as much as i would love to my plugs all came out ok, cost me $300, parts and labour.

id rather get my $2000 back from the cam phaser design instead.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 AM
The consumer will not see any benefit from this. If the courts side on the ambulance chasers side, it will put money in their pockets and provide pennies to the few owners who jumped on their band wagon. It will also take resources away from Ford.

The only benefit it to the partners of this law firm.

I've changed mine twice now. First time broke 3. Hassle, but with the right tools, it was just a hassle. Second time, they all came out slicker then sh......

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the life of me, I don't know why it's legal to sue someone for making a crappy product. This isn't a safety issue. The way you punish companies for making bad designs, is you don't buy from them.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
^ I agree

Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by transfercase
For the life of me, I don't know why it's legal to sue someone for making a crappy product. This isn't a safety issue. The way you punish companies for making bad designs, is you don't buy from them.
Tell that to Mcdonalds for making a faulty coffee cup...hahahahahahahaha

...but I also agree with you.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree to, all the hot shot attorneys will be getting paid. Its just like all the commercials on tv saying how such and such medical equipment malfunctions file a suit.

End user gets nothing.

Not even worried about the plugs.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Its in the false advertising or unfair trade practices laws. If a produt manufacturer makes certain claims then the product doesnt perofrm against those claims - there should be liability. Then you get in to how much its worth... Here - 100k miles spark plugs were advertised. Had we not been told that or told to change them earlier due to the odd design - we would not have incurred the extra money for maintenance. Thats the arguement.

Not that I would be demanding $ for mine. I paid a whopping $100 to have them changed out and $60 or so for all 8 plugs.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Too many have gone over 100,000 on the original plugs for that to stand up. I know two or thhree that did not change them till 130,000.

Also, I don't recall them ever advertising that they would go 100,000 before changing. That was just the recommended plug change and taht is not the same as advertising.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
What I find very interesting is the majority of responders thus far are indifferent, or neutral. I'm very surprised, as it seems like everywhere I look, people have been hopping mad at Ford when they get butt-raped getting the spark plugs changed. I guess things are starting to cool off now......hmm. Haven't done mine yet, but will soon.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
Its in the false advertising or unfair trade practices laws. If a produt manufacturer makes certain claims then the product doesnt perofrm against those claims - there should be liability. Then you get in to how much its worth... Here - 100k miles spark plugs were advertised. Had we not been told that or told to change them earlier due to the odd design - we would not have incurred the extra money for maintenance. Thats the arguement.

Not that I would be demanding $ for mine. I paid a whopping $100 to have them changed out and $60 or so for all 8 plugs.
If your unhappy with your present Ford, trade it in on a Chevy or Dodge. Or maybe even a Toyota. I get tired of hearing , lets sue for this, and lets sue for that...knew a man that smoked four packs a day and when he found out he had lung cancer and only months to live, tried to sue everyone associated with tobbacco. Whats the world coming to?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Whats the world coming to?
While I would tend to agree that there are far too many frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasers out there who take advantage of people's desire to sue instead of taking personal responsibility for their actions, this Ford spark plug issue has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

When I purchased my truck, a 2007 5.4L, I had no idea that the spark plugs had an issue. I would wager that well over 95% of people who purchased trucks with this engine had no idea there was an issue either. Is it a safety issue? No, that's why the trucks haven't been recalled, but it can cause a normal maintenance item to cost upwards of $1000 for no reason other than poor design and poorer implementation.

If we're talking fault, then the guy who smokes four packs a day knowing it's bad for him (and nobody can claim they don't know at this point) is at his own fault for ignoring the warnings clearly marked on the package.

If the F-150 I purchased had come with a sticker saying, "Warning: The spark plugs in this vehicle have been known to break upon extraction, possibly causing service issues and increasing maintenance costs," and I STILL bought the truck... then shame on me. That's my fault. But there was no sticker. If spark plugs routinely cost $1000 to change (and don't give me that "Mine only cost $X because I know how to change them or my buddy changed them or my dealer friend changed them," because I DON'T have any of those options and neither do most people), then this wouldn't be an issue either... but that's not the case. Every single person I've told about the spark plug issue has responded with, "That's crazy... what's Ford doing about it?"

Could 'the people' win a class action suit? Maybe, but it won't help. The damage is done and the only satisfaction 'the people' would get is sticking it to Ford... which might teach Ford a lesson, but certainly wouldn't help 'the people' in the long run. As stated earlier, the only real winners would be the lawyers.

But don't let Ford of the hook by saying things like, "Buy a Dodge," or "Buy a Chevy." The spark plug issue is NOT ok, and don't pretend like it's no big deal. Maybe to you, it isn't, but to the guy who had to have his block dissected and paid $3000 because an idiot mechanic didn't expect the plugs to stick this bad when he tried to remove them I would say it's a very big deal. When routine service can cost up to 10% of the price of the vehicle brand new because Ford got something wrong in the factory? That's a big deal.

My question is, "What's the world coming to?" when a major US automaker can get away with screwing its loyal and unassuming customers by allowing this mistake to go more or less unanswered. Sure, they've put out TSBs. Sure, they've made better plugs. Ultimately though the answer has been "deal with it."

That doesn't sound like it should be the attitude of the best automaker in the US... but hey... what do I know? Maybe I should have bought a Chevy.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Those were my thoughts too. All ford has to do is simply say "hey we screwed up the set price for plug change say $450 not $450 plus this if these break and this if that breaks" guess that is to easy.

I know dealerships somewhat set the prices so they should all charge set price for this service and ford pay the rest.

Last edited by jjntj2003; 02-07-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jjntj2003
Those were my thoughts too. All ford has to do is simply say "hey we screwed up the set price for plug change say $450 not $450 plus this if these break and this if that breaks" guess that is to easy.

I know dealerships somewhat set the prices so they should all charge set price for this service and ford pay the rest.
Dealers are independant and can set the price as they wish. Ford would have to do a program to reimburse the dealer for anything they desired to be responsible for. They won't do it because there are too many that get them out without a problem. They provided a TSB, and there are tools to deal with it. basically, if the mechanic knows what to do, they are not that big an issue, now. You can see that by the number that report getting them all out.

Quick Reply: spark plug lawsuit