2004 - 2008 F-150

SuperCrew Door Rattle Fix......Give This A Try

Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperCrew Door Rattle (Clunk) Fix......Give This A Try

Hey, I just bought my 07 SuperCrew and it has a door rattle on the drivers side when you hit sharp stuff. EDIT: this is for the clunk that sounds like the door is only half latched. I searched and came up with everything from a B.S. electrical tape fix on the striker to drilling the striker holes and putting regular bolts in it so they could be adjusted. What?....... No way it was that. So I take a look at the door stop bumpers, the ones that are on the inside lip of the doors at about handle height that meet the door sill. They are all mushroomed so I bought new ones for the front doors and it helped, the rattle is about 90% gone. So I look at the ones for the rear doors which are shorter and kind of triangle shaped. They look good but when I did a mark out they just barely meet the sill. So I put the old fronts bumpers which are longer on the rear doors and that almost did it so I went and bought a couple more front bumpers and threw them in the rear door and bingo, no more rattle and the doors close nice and tight. Buy quantity 4 of Ford part # W705903 S300 and install them and you should be set. Around $6.00 Hope it helps.
Fry

Last edited by FRYCREW; 05-29-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 PM
gonna have to look at mine this dam rattle is getting on my nerves.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I have the same problem but haven't had the time to see what's up.
That makes perfect sense to me. I'll give it a try this weekend.
Thanks for the great idea and part #....$6 bucks is a small price to pay to make the rattle go away.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lets see pics of what your talkin about please!......

Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The rattle can be caused by the door latch cable. It runs to the inside door handle and sometimes the plastic loop fastener that holds it in place breaks or doesn't keep the cable tight to the door.

Zip tie it in 3 places and you're done.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by RoushF150
The rattle can be caused by the door latch cable. It runs to the inside door handle and sometimes the plastic loop fastener that holds it in place breaks or doesn't keep the cable tight to the door.

My fix was for the clunk that sounds like the door was half latched, I don't have the small rattle your talking about. I guess I should have clarified that.
Fry

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Lets see pics of what your talkin about please!......
I'll try to hook you up with some pictures later today.
Fry

Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
cool pics always help.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that's the rattle I have. Annoying as hell, but luckily it comes and goes. I'll give to give the zip tie trick a go.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 PM

You're freaking kidding me right? I have had my truck to the dealer 3 times and I personally have had the door apart about 12 times trying to fix this rattle. It is worse when it is cold out. I had my suspicions about the cable but figured that it wouldn't make that much noise. My passenger door is the one rattling on mine. I also though that it could be the interior door handle until I ruled that out by having my son hold the handle while I drove. THANK YOU! I am going to fix this now!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too Cool

I have been having the same issue with my recently acquired 2007 Lariat. The rear passenger door on my screw rattles like crazy. turns out it is the only door with out the rubber bumper LOL. I will be ordering that part shortly. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FRYCREW
Hey, I just bought my 07 SuperCrew and it has a door rattle on the drivers side when you hit sharp stuff. EDIT: this is for the clunk that sounds like the door is only half latched. I searched and came up with everything from a B.S. electrical tape fix on the striker to drilling the striker holes and putting regular bolts in it so they could be adjusted. What?....... No way it was that. So I take a look at the door stop bumpers, the ones that are on the inside lip of the doors at about handle height that meet the door sill. They are all mushroomed so I bought new ones for the front doors and it helped, the rattle is about 90% gone. So I look at the ones for the rear doors which are shorter and kind of triangle shaped. They look good but when I did a mark out they just barely meet the sill. So I put the old fronts bumpers which are longer on the rear doors and that almost did it so I went and bought a couple more front bumpers and threw them in the rear door and bingo, no more rattle and the doors close nice and tight. Buy quantity 4 of Ford part # W705903 S300 and install them and you should be set. Around $6.00 Hope it helps.
Fry
Fry- thanks for sharing with the guys who hang around here or come for answers when they have a problem. I wish more people who come for an answer to a problem would come back and post the answer when they find one, where ever it comes from. It would make life more pleasant for all who may later need that answer. So if you have a solution, do as Fry did and post it! Thanks Fry!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
OK guys...... the zip ties are in place. I'll let you all know if it worked or not. I examined it closely when I had it apart. I don't think the cable was hitting the door itself. I believe that it was actually hitting the interior door panel. We'll see tomorrow!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the props guys, I hope this helps you out because I know I hate rattles and clunks. I threw the old bumpers away so no pics of them but here are pics of the new ones in place. If you look at your stock front ones they will look really mushroomed. The stock rears will probably look fine but they just don't make enough contact on the jam to tighten the door striker to the latch. The new ones seem a little more stout too, they are probably a updated part #. It worked for me and took care of the clunk.
Front door......
Name:  F-150028Medium.jpg
Views: 9987
Size:  20.8 KB

Rear door......
Name:  F-150027Medium.jpg
Views: 9568
Size:  19.5 KB

Hope it helps.
Fry

Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by the4by4freek
OK guys...... the zip ties are in place. I'll let you all know if it worked or not. I examined it closely when I had it apart. I don't think the cable was hitting the door itself. I believe that it was actually hitting the interior door panel. We'll see tomorrow!
Let us know if it solved your issue. It did on mine.

If it doesn't you may also want to check and see if any of your window regulator bolts are loosey goosey. That can also cause a chatter as my neighbor had it happen to him.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SuperCrew Door Rattle Fix......Give This A Try