2004 - 2008 F-150

is anyone having problems with sparkplugs?04 5.04

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry is anyone having problems with sparkplugs?04 5.04

is there anyone having problems with the 04 f150 triton motors after a spark plug change?my motor will pull a house and sling you through the back windshild when you take off..but its using oil now after a spark plug change.
6 of the 8 sparkplugs broke off in the motor..the spark plugs are faulty.the ford house i use says they have been trying to tell FMC this for 2 yrs now..but they will not listen.i called FMC(Ford Motor Com.)yesterday and told them that i have seen many having this very same prob. and they told me that everone on this web site is just upset due to they do not have an extended warranty...???????im so upset!what can you do.i guess nothing.
im stuck with an awesome truck that uses oil now because i changed my spark plugs.i even talked to 2 FORD people on the phone(i hung up on the first one)and i got no where.all they say is i should have brought it in before 36,000 miles.who needs a spark plug change before 36,000 miles??
i have cryed over this for 3 days now.we race all over 4 states and i need my truck to be in good shape so i wont be stranded 1000.00 miles from my house at 1:00am in the morning.i guess im just HAD!
brittany

Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't possibly imagine how changing the plugs is now causing your motor to use more oil than before the plug change, unless some debris fell into a cylinder or two and then somehow got logged in the oil ring, or worse, damaged it????

This would be a fairly easy diagnosis by "simply" removing the plus and looking for the wet, oily one's.....

Good luck though.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Brittany Leathe
all they say is i should have brought it in before 36,000 miles.who needs a spark plug change before 36,000 miles??
Go out to your truck, grab the manual and show them where it states that FORD says these are 100,000 mile plugs.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
Can't possibly imagine how changing the plugs is now causing your motor to use more oil than before the plug change, unless some debris fell into a cylinder or two and then somehow got logged in the oil ring, or worse, damaged it????

This would be a fairly easy diagnosis by "simply" removing the plus and looking for the wet, oily one's.....

Good luck though.
I think so too...
if a piece of porcelain or metal broke off it could damage a ring.
who changed the plugs, a dealer?

and yes, on your next call, make sure you add that the plugs are suppose to last 100,000 miles and that you changed them early hoping to avoid an issue with their poor design.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's one of the problems I have with the Ford "certified" spark plug removal procedure. It's just too prone to allowing metal or porcelin into the cylinder, and your trusting the tech will vacuum/blow all of it out. No thanks, that's just too much of a risk. Score a cylinder all, damage a valve seat, etc and the problem is now the owners. We know Ford will not own up to it.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:15 PM
How are you determing that your truck is now using oil?

Low oil level on the dipstick or smoke from the exhaust?

Did they pull the cylinder heads off to extract the 6 broken plugs/pieces? If so, they may not have reinstalled the cylinder heads properly and you might be leaking oil from around the head gasket. Fairly simple to have fixed.

If it is debris in the cylinder that has damaged the rings, you will be seeing blueish-gray smoke from the tail pipe. Not easy to fix and can be costly.

Keep us updated will ya.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 AM
tysom for answering my questions...i have been in the hospital and unable to get on the computer...thanks britt

Quick Reply: is anyone having problems with sparkplugs?04 5.04