2004 - 2008 F-150

DIY Black Headlights Done...again lots of pics...not 56k friendly

Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Tylus;3406802]Headlight Installed - Pass Side

Headlight Installed - Driver Side

AWESOME JOB x2 I have been thinking about doing this to mine...

I Like the way you masked them off!! Keeping the chrome on the sides.

I'm just a little worried I'll over cook them...
How long did you leave them in for?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Opps... Not sure what happend...

Old 10-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Very Nice work - new look to your truck - I like

Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tylus, the lights look sweet dude, I think you should get your grille, handles, and skull caps PTM to complete the 07-08 FX4 luxury look. That white looks sick with the ptm goodies

Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Looks great man! Congratulations on the babies.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by MTP-FX4
i like the look alot, how do yal think it would look on a red 150?, i'd hate to spend the time doing it and then not being able to go back to stock, any input?
like this

looks gr8 on the white Tylus
gr8 job

Old 10-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
I Like the way you masked them off!! Keeping the chrome on the sides.

I'm just a little worried I'll over cook them...
How long did you leave them in for?
I wanted them to be slightly different from everyone elses. and the chrome seems to fit them better than being all black IMO

do it for 250F in 10 minute blocks. work in sections and reheat periodically. otherwise the glue cools off and hardens...take your time and it'll go pretty smoothly
Originally Posted by bjp207
Tylus, the lights look sweet dude, I think you should get your grille, handles, and skull caps PTM to complete the 07-08 FX4 luxury look. That white looks sick with the ptm goodies
can't...I'm going with a white/black theme. PTM my stuff will throw off the theme...the PTM stuff does look awesome though
Originally Posted by gr8hntr
like this

looks gr8 on the white Tylus
gr8 job
thanks...and yes, in your case, the black looks amazing on a red truck. like I said, I don't think it will work for a Lariat with those PTM fender flares.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 AM
That looks very good, great job!!!
This is making me rethink spending so much money for the Harley Davidson Head Lights.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
gr8hntr-- that looks so good
i'll post my red FX4 sometime this week

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Looks good man, alot of vw people do that we car it the Joey mod. Nice work!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I have my passenger side light in the oven as we speak. Any tips on where on the assembly to start to seperate them? How long did you let the fushion dry/cure before putting them back together? I have loctite RTV 598 black on hand to re seal them...I hope that works. I realize that I prolly won't get any replies before I break something, but I thought I would try! Wish me luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jimbo45
I have my passenger side light in the oven as we speak. Any tips on where on the assembly to start to seperate them? How long did you let the fushion dry/cure before putting them back together? I have loctite RTV 598 black on hand to re seal them...I hope that works. I realize that I prolly won't get any replies before I break something, but I thought I would try! Wish me luck!
CRAP! Forget this mod! I pulled my headlight out of the oven to start pulling it apart, and I noticed that there are now, very slight spider web looking cracks ALL OVER THE CLEAR PORTION OF THE LENS!!!!!!!!! I even had a thermometer in the oven, and had to set the oven at about 200 degrees, to get actual 250 degrees. Then, I tried pulling them apart. No luck. I then tried prying them apart, no luck. I even managed to loosen the factory seal enough that it will probably leak, but I don't see any way in hell you guys got them apart without breaking/damaging something. Either I am a girly man (I really don't think so) or mine are put together with something different than normal.

Well, I'm gonna go put my spider web cracked headlight assembly back on, and hope it doesn't leak now that I have pried away at the seal. Then, I am going to look into buying some headlight assemblies. How much are the HD's from Ford? You guy that have the ebay ones, how are they holding up?

I am not happy.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
yup... you convinced me to give it a try. Maybe this weekend. Good work tylus !

One question.... are most people painting that chrome part that you left ... well... chrome ? If you paint over that, does it have any affect on light output ? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jimbo45
CRAP! Forget this mod! I pulled my headlight out of the oven to start pulling it apart, and I noticed that there are now, very slight spider web looking cracks ALL OVER THE CLEAR PORTION OF THE LENS!!!!!!!!! I even had a thermometer in the oven, and had to set the oven at about 200 degrees, to get actual 250 degrees. Then, I tried pulling them apart. No luck. I then tried prying them apart, no luck. I even managed to loosen the factory seal enough that it will probably leak, but I don't see any way in hell you guys got them apart without breaking/damaging something. Either I am a girly man (I really don't think so) or mine are put together with something different than normal.

Well, I'm gonna go put my spider web cracked headlight assembly back on, and hope it doesn't leak now that I have pried away at the seal. Then, I am going to look into buying some headlight assemblies. How much are the HD's from Ford? You guy that have the ebay ones, how are they holding up?

I am not happy.

I think you need to get a little pic inside the seal, and scrape it out. Maybe I am wrong, I haven't done it yet. You have to make sure you cook em hot enough to melt the seal.

If your putting yours back on, throw an extra layer of your seal around it. It will help make sure you have no leaks.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turned out great! Matches your truck nicely!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Black Headlights Done...again lots of pics...not 56k friendly